Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMcDude
Omerta
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Riding the spiral
Few pics of my first cakes.
    #11319073 - 10/25/09 05:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

My first attempt at this. I think all is well :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: McDude]
    #11319075 - 10/25/09 05:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

looking good, keep us up to date

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlinemasteramyx
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: Slimz]
    #11319094 - 10/25/09 05:06 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

nice, how long did it take for your cakes to colonize?? its been 2 days for me, still nothin. Just put them on a heating pad though maybe that will speed up the process

OfflineMcDude
Omerta
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: masteramyx]
    #11319327 - 10/25/09 05:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I first saw growth at around 5 days. It took a month then for full colonization. I have 12 other cakes that were inoculated a few days after these. They still aren't all the way there. I didn't realize for the first few weeks that I should have taken the tape off the inoculation holes for gas exchange. Probably slowed it down a bit.

Didn't incubate anything either. I see some places where it says that speeds it up and other posts that say it doesn't matter. I heat with a wood stove so the temps in my place range from probably 40(when I'm lazy about keeping a fire going) to 80. Eventually they got there! The humidifer on my FC can be set to put out 80 degree mist. That keeps the FC in the upper 70's.

--------------------

For cultivation troubleshooting/advice visit us here

As below so above I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope, Watch it bend!

OfflineChaostoOrder
Lakota Peji Wicasa,
Male User Gallery

#11319383 - 10/25/09 05:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Looking cool, can't wait til I get there, My wbs is about 80 % colonized (10 Jars/pint) and they are going quik since I tried the G2G transfer.....

--------------------
Too weird to live, to rare to die....-Hunter S. Thompson

:
[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/10-21/47399604

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Loc: Gainesville, Florida, USA
    #11319455 - 10/25/09 06:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

McDude said:

That's one smexy lookin shroom :laugh:

Oh and clean your fingernails man, ffs! :smirk: Just fucking with you. Good job and good luck!

--------------------
"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..." Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so."
Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls
All will be made manifest
And the warriors of the ethereal
Will be our only defense"

~~altair~~

OfflineMcDude
Omerta
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: sgaltair]
    #11319614 - 10/25/09 06:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sgaltair said:
Quote:

McDude said:

That's one smexy lookin shroom :laugh:

Oh and clean your fingernails man, ffs! :smirk: Just fucking with you. Good job and good luck!

Hah thx! I smashed my damn thumb in a door over a month ago. It's not dirt:smile:

--------------------

As below so above I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope, Watch it bend!

InvisibleMelmo42
And......
Female

#11319632 - 10/25/09 06:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

it all looks sooo pretty :grin:

OfflineThyrax
No way
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: masteramyx]
    #11319641 - 10/25/09 06:49 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

masteramyx said:
nice, how long did it take for your cakes to colonize?? its been 2 days for me, still nothin. Just put them on a heating pad though maybe that will speed up the process

Don't do this

--------------------

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: Thyrax]
    #11319694 - 10/25/09 06:57 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Thyrax said:
Quote:

masteramyx said:

Don't do this

LOL just straight to the point eh bro?  wat my boy thyrax was about to explain that incubation is an outdated thought.  Shrooms do best around 75F

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Offlinetexas_raised
Getting it
Male

Loc: Best city in Texas
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: truskool]
    #11319770 - 10/25/09 07:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hey how did you do your FC? I'm just asking cause I saw two big holes on one side of your FC and my jars are almost done colonizing so I have to get the FC ready. I kinda wanted to do something like that instead of doing the shotgun process. Wanted to know if you can give me some details on that.

--------------------

DISCLAIMER:
Anything that has been posted by the user "texas_raised" is all made up and make believe. The user texas_raised is not responsible, nor will be held liable, for anything that is posted, read, and written on this website.

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #11319788 - 10/25/09 07:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

McDude said:

Hah thx! I smashed my damn thumb in a door over a month ago. It's not dirt:)

Ah damn that sucks. Well good luck with the continued healing as well :smile:

--------------------

Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls

~~altair~~

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: truskool]
    #11319820 - 10/25/09 07:19 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
Quote:

Thyrax said:
Quote:

masteramyx said:

Don't do this

LOL just straight to the point eh bro?  wat my boy thyrax was about to explain that incubation is an outdated thought.  Shrooms do best around 75F

Wow really?  Damn I'm still out dated. :facepalm:  I wouldnt do a heating pad but I like to keep them in a warmer room.  :shrug: it seemed that it helped.  Oh well :tongue2:

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.
"You cant stretch nature, give it time, it will come.  Be patient."

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: RyeH]
    #11319885 - 10/25/09 07:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RyeH said:
Quote:

truskool said:
Quote:

Thyrax said:
Quote:

masteramyx said:

Don't do this

Wow really?  Damn I'm still out dated. :facepalm:  I wouldnt do a heating pad but I like to keep them in a warmer room.  :shrug: it seemed that it helped.  Oh well :tongue2:

The consensus is that while the higher temperatures do speed up myc colonization, it also promotes the growth of contams. And because naturally the contams will beat out the myc, slower colonization is preferable to having your poor defenseless myc compete for substrate.

--------------------

Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls

~~altair~~

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
    #11319913 - 10/25/09 07:33 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Just a contribution to the discussion:

I have found little to no difference in colonization speeds between 75 and 81F.  Growth falls off rapidly at 83F and above, not 87F.

That chart above is bogus, period.  I have tried dozens of times to duplicate it and it can't be done.  It was apparently made by someone who did ONE grow with sloppy note taking, and sent the results to paul.  Growth is much slower in cold temperatures until you hit 69F, where it speeds up quite a bit until about 75F, where it remains 'flat' until 81, then is flat again until 83, where it falls off fast beginning at 84.  By 'flat' I mean there is no discernible increase or decrease in rate of growth within those ranges.  Jars will colonize as fast at 75F as they will at 80F.  I've proved this time and time again with every strain in my collection.  Growth also falls off rapidly above 84, and this is why so many new folks have problems with incubators set at 86F, and jars that 'won't colonize'.  The figures I give are substrate temperatures, not air temperatures.  The temp inside the jar is 1 to 5 degrees higher than the surrounding air, depending on where in the colonization cycle the jar is.  The heat produced falls off fast as the jar approaches full colonization.

If you live in an igloo,(or near the waterfront) by all means build an incubator, but keep it in the normal room temperature ranges for best results.  I see no reason to set one above 80F, and lots of reasons not to.  Here's a picture of one of my shelves for colonizing jars.  The substrate bags are there because I ran out of room on the other shelf.  These are in a room at normal room temperature, and exposed to light nearly all day.  I don't even put the pf jars on a top shelf where it's warmer. Of course, I had a good teacher on how to make them up, as everyone will soon know.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6563295#6563295

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

Edited by LeopardMan (10/25/09 07:34 PM)

OfflineRyeH
The Noble One
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: LeopardMan]
    #11319938 - 10/25/09 07:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LeopardMan said:

I have found little to no difference in colonization speeds between 75 and 81F.  Growth falls off rapidly at 83F and above, not 87F.

That chart above is bogus, period.  I have tried dozens of times to duplicate it and it can't be done.  It was apparently made by someone who did ONE grow with sloppy note taking, and sent the results to paul.  Growth is much slower in cold temperatures until you hit 69F, where it speeds up quite a bit until about 75F, where it remains 'flat' until 81, then is flat again until 83, where it falls off fast beginning at 84.  By 'flat' I mean there is no discernible increase or decrease in rate of growth within those ranges.  Jars will colonize as fast at 75F as they will at 80F.  I've proved this time and time again with every strain in my collection.  Growth also falls off rapidly above 84, and this is why so many new folks have problems with incubators set at 86F, and jars that 'won't colonize'.  The figures I give are substrate temperatures, not air temperatures.  The temp inside the jar is 1 to 5 degrees higher than the surrounding air, depending on where in the colonization cycle the jar is.  The heat produced falls off fast as the jar approaches full colonization.

If you live in an igloo,(or near the waterfront) by all means build an incubator, but keep it in the normal room temperature ranges for best results.  I see no reason to set one above 80F, and lots of reasons not to.  Here's a picture of one of my shelves for colonizing jars.  The substrate bags are there because I ran out of room on the other shelf.  These are in a room at normal room temperature, and exposed to light nearly all day.  I don't even put the pf jars on a top shelf where it's warmer. Of course, I had a good teacher on how to make them up, as everyone will soon know.
RR

that makes sense, once I inoculate I do nothing special with the jars.  What I was talking about was in FC after berthing.  :shrug:  But I will always take input for I am and always will be learning.  LOL.

--------------------
chronosync said:
dont fuck around.
do it right.
try again.
"You cant stretch nature, give it time, it will come.  Be patient."

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
    #11319945 - 10/25/09 07:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RyeH said:
Quote:

LeopardMan said:

RR

that makes sense, once I inoculate I do nothing special with the jars.  What I was talking about was in FC after berthing.  :shrug:  But I will always take input for I am and always will be learning.  LOL.

Same here :laugh:

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineMcDude
Omerta
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: texas_raised]
    #11321280 - 10/25/09 11:15 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

texas_raised said:
Hey how did you do your FC? I'm just asking cause I saw two big holes on one side of your FC and my jars are almost done colonizing so I have to get the FC ready. I kinda wanted to do something like that instead of doing the shotgun process. Wanted to know if you can give me some details on that.

I have an aquarium air pump outside pumping fresh air into 2 12 inch bubble stones in the bottom,one at each end. I put in just enough water to cover them. I screwed blocks of wood onto the sides so I could hang a fluorescent light on each side. 18 inch 6500k bulbs.

I cut some hardware cloth bigger then the container and folded the sides down,made a platform to keep the cakes a bit off the top of the water. With a hole saw I drilled 2 2" holes in each end,and 2 in the lid.

I drilled one hole in middle of the back towards the top.
I have a tube running from a humidifier($150.00 ultrasonic whatever)into that one. I opened it at the store and roamed through the plumbing dept. untill I found all the right stuff to hook it up.

I leave the humidifier run all the time on the lowest spray setting and occasionally I crank it up on full and let it run for alittle while(I do this instead of misting). I had a digital hygrometer :thumbdown: the thing half fried after 3 days and won't work right in the box.

The things I read said FAE,Light and Humidity were the main pinning factors. I just tried to go for that. With the air pump and humidifier running + big holes I think all the CO2 should be getting pushed out. I do still fan it occasionally with the lid. The moving water evaporating in the bottom + the humidifier running. Even with big holes humidity isn't a problem.

Seems to be working fine so far. The container sits up on a small table with the humidifier underneath. Cost me about $230 for everything. Hope that helps and GL.

--------------------

Offlinebw86
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: eL Ii eN. whY.
    #11321421 - 10/25/09 11:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

good job man :thumbup:
now i want to see a few pics of your first mono

--------------------
Convert to Grains Pf tek killed Jesus
...................................................AMU feel free to :pm:Agar to grain/ g2g transfer=unlimited mushrooms:hypnotoad:

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Few pics of my first cakes. [Re: bw86]
    #11321438 - 10/25/09 11:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bw86 said:
good job man :thumbup:
now i want to see a few pics of your first mono

yea and i would love to grow a jalisco grow such as yours lol beautiful grow btw

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation