Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDune
MadMan
Male User Gallery

Arrgh, what are chakras?
    #11300807 - 10/22/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Right, I understand that the 7 chakras have something to do with centres of energy with the lowest at the base of your spine with the top one in your head. I understand that the top is reflected in the rest, like the 1 is reflected in the 10 but thats about all i know. Could somebody please describe quite basically what chakras are? I have some experience with meditation and mysiticism etc. but not much. Any help would be great :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------
'you cannot tread the path before you become that path yourself' ~ Zen Saying

Who's mouth is possibly big enough to describe things as they are? ~ Alan Watts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: Dune]
    #11304320 - 10/23/09 03:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

&hl=en

this video helped me to visualize them a little better. 

think of them as energy vortices projecting out of your body... I can't ever remember the traditional names for them but they are all associated with a color of the rainbow (ROYGBIV) with red being your root one and violet being the crown.

there are all sorts of meditation exercises but what I do is just focus on each of the different points for awhile and try to feel the energy there. 

I also break down my modes of thinking in terms of chakra.  your nervous system is tied to your brain, afterall. 

Timothy Leary developed an "8 circuit" model of consciousness which closely resembles the chakra system if you're looking for it worded in more psychedelic drug terms. 

good luck... ever since i've discovered the concept of chakra energy i've been mildly obsessed and it has changed my life in an immensely positive way

Edited by screamphilling (10/23/09 03:33 AM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #11308066 - 10/23/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'd recommend Ken Keye's The Handbook to Higher Consciousness for a practical introduction that won't confuse you by the classic mythic Hindu associations, or the utter complexity of chakra psychology in Tibetan Buddhism.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=handbook+to+higher+consciousness

Classic Yoga describes the astral physiology of the chakras and nadis that belong to the Astral sheath (not the Physical sheath or the Causal sheath). This layer of human beinghood accounts for certain experiences, but there are completely different models in Hinduism and in Buddhism. There are also different versions in Taoist Yoga, and in turn Zen and certain martial arts like Chi Gung, Tai Chi Chuan, Kung Fu.  Hopi Indian religion has its 4 centers. There is evidence that ancient Egyptians recognized such interior centers of motivation as well.
Read the Keyes book's chapters on the basic Hindu form. It speaks to motivation rather than the occult virtues attributed to the chakras.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (11/04/09 02:58 PM)

InvisibleTheWolf
Antechamber Of Mystery

#11310779 - 10/24/09 09:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The Chakras, simply put, are areas in the body where energy is compacted and harnessed.  It is possible to harness metaphysical energy from external sources, but I'll limit myself to the chakras.  There are seven chakras (the most common belief) along the spine that correlate to specific glands or organs as well.  Crown, brow, throat, heart, solar plexus, sacral, and base.  Each has its own designated color, although colors can vary from belief system to belief system.  Sometimes the brow and base are called the third eye and root chakra, respectively.  As well an interesting model I came across listed an 8th chakra that was located in the palms of the hands.  This definition I gave is the most basic I could come up with, but a quick browse of the web should give you some more specific information.

Exercise great care when meditating on specific chakras, development can sometimes happen very quickly.

OfflineJaegar
Formless One
 User Gallery

Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: TheWolf]
    #11312868 - 10/24/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Chakras simply put are just your imagination. The stronger you imagination the stronger you "chakras". :smile:

So develope your imagination/belief in them.

InvisibleTheWolf
Antechamber Of Mystery

Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: Jaegar]
    #11317126 - 10/25/09 08:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No.

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
    #11318089 - 10/25/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Jaegar said:
Chakras simply put are just your imagination. The stronger you imagination the stronger you "chakras". :smile:

So develope your imagination/belief in them.

There is some degree of truth in this. The focusing of thought energy and intent make all the difference. This is the nature of the Universe and how, as conscious beings, we manifest everything and anything into our lives.

Yet, when stating something is just a part of your imagination, imagination meaning illusory in the traditional sense of the world, one will once again be brought into the epistemological debate which this forum intends to bypass.

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #11318106 - 10/25/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Chakras exist even if you don't believe in them.

--------------------
S o m e  T e x t

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: Band of Gypsys]
    #11318125 - 10/25/09 12:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Band of Gypsys said:
Chakras exist even if you don't believe in them.

Indeed.

OfflineJaegar
Formless One
 User Gallery

#11321409 - 10/25/09 09:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The Chakras, simply put, are areas in the body where energy is compacted and harnessed.

I don't mean to sound condescending but could you define what the word energy is to you. I thought energy is defined by E=MC2. Thus the objects energy is the amount of work to move the object a a few meters in a few secounds. Energy is a measurement of work. Eg when I lift a rock chemical energy is being converted to electrical- muscular and contracting my muscles. Converting calories to move the rock.

Nowhere did Einstein define energy as some mystical force or capability. Energy can be measured. So what kind of energy is the Chakras? Can it be measured?

Edited by Jaegar (10/25/09 09:45 PM)

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#11322069 - 10/25/09 11:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Energy is not defined by E=MC^2, only quantified relative to a given mass by way of light's speed.
Energy isn't necessarily a measurement of work, it is the work/movement/activity/flow/current itself.

It's possible that Qi/Chi/Pran/Prana Shakti/Orgone is EM radiation at high Gamma frequency and extremely low amplitude, too low to be measured, yet.

It's also possible that it's not EM energy at all but a different kind of 'charge' altogether.

Either way, anyone who has practiced Pranayama or Laya Yoga knows Chakras are as real as Rome.

InvisibleTheWolf
Antechamber Of Mystery

Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: Middleman]
    #11322974 - 10/26/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you.  The concept of chakras and subsequent practices meant for stimulating them have been around for a very, very long time.  This isn't just something that was thrown together for some new age belief system.

And you were condescending Jaeger, all it really took for you to get your point across was asking if the energy inside the chakras could be measured.  I think the amateur physics lesson was a bit over the top, but your input was welcome anyway.

Edited by TheWolf (11/01/09 06:46 PM)

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#11324533 - 10/26/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Word up TW. :sherlock:

InvisibleChronic7
Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: Middleman]
    #11324758 - 10/26/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
I'd recommend Ken Keye's The Handbook to Higher Consciousness for a practical introduction that won't confuse you by the classic mythic Hindu associations, or the utter complexity of chakra psychology in Tibetan Buddhism.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=handbook+to+higher+consciousness

If anybody wants this book they can have my copy...

I live in london so it might take a while to arrive...

PM me...

:peace:

--------------------

Edited by Middleman (11/02/09 01:58 AM)

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Re: Arrgh, what are chakras? [Re: Chronic7]
    #11325226 - 10/26/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Is it a good book.

--------------------
S o m e  T e x t

InvisibleChronic7
    #11325326 - 10/26/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Its okay, its foundation is the Buddhas teachings about attachments, so its gotta be good

But then the book goes on to give lists of new things to attach to

Its full of good bit here & there (from what i remember) but its also full of things he asks you to learn, like '9 steps to memorize' etc... which is crap if higher consiousness is what is sought after...

If you wanna re-program your mind its a great book, if you wish to de-program your mind & come into full consciousness then you gotta put down the westernized crap & pick up the vedantic scripture, or put down all the books & meditate

Im not advertising it well i know :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

#11325338 - 10/26/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What are the better books?
I am going to become a Buddhist.

--------------------
S o m e  T e x t

InvisibleChronic7
    #11325383 - 10/26/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

An understanding of the 'three marks of existence' is all that is necesarry for you to become the Buddha yourself

--------------------

Edited by Chronic7 (10/26/09 03:53 PM)

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

#11325536 - 10/26/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

books?

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
    #11325592 - 10/26/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Band of Gypsys said:
What are the better books?
I am going to become a Buddhist.

Markos recommended me a while back "The Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism" if you want to delve into the deep, deep mysticism. This book is almost scientific consciousness, I know its a oxymoron :P

I like Ram Dass' "Be Here Now" and "Journey of Awakening - A Meditators Guidebook."

Like Chronic said, the books will only take you so far...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom