Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegop
Stranger
palenque mushrooms lost potency after drying
    #11311434 - 10/24/09 01:44 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I had a nice harvest of palenque mushrooms 6 months ago. I ate 3 fresh mushrooms at the time and was blown out of this world, they were very strong. I didn't eat them again until I was finished with the grow and dried all the shrooms. When I ate them dry, all the potency was GONE! I just let them dry on top of a newspaper in a dark cupboard,as I have done before. I haven't had this problem before. So Im wondering what could be the cause of this loss in potency. Could it be my strain? Or my drying method? Mind that I did eat them after they were dry for about 2 weeks, so their age isn't a factor I presume. I've some more spores left from that strain and am contemplating growing again, but if the strain can't be dried and stored due to loss of potency I might not bother.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
Re: palenque mushrooms lost potency after drying [Re: gop]
    #11311485 - 10/24/09 01:51 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

That's a Good Question... an old friend of mine, who moved to Maryland and studies Medicine & Microbiology at Johns Hopkins University, always grew palenques... I've only tripped on a couple of different kinds of mushrooms, but the palenques, even though they were skinny and kinda smaller than the other shrooms I've had, had the longest, most intense trip of any other that I've ever done.

That's all he ever grew.

Sorry I couldn't help with your question, but I just saw 'Palenques and wanted to comment.

Good luck.

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
    #11311498 - 10/24/09 01:53 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

i would say your drying method sux..

that leaves the actives in contact with moisture and oxygen for way too long..

get the water out quickly, use a fan at least

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

Re: palenque mushrooms lost potency after drying [Re: Sprezzatura]
    #11311526 - 10/24/09 01:57 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

how did you store them.

--------------------

:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:AMU Q & A thread:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: palenque mushrooms lost potency after drying [Re: mister]
    #11311673 - 10/24/09 02:17 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

If you grew them via multispore inoculation, you have to realize that potency is going to vary wildly from fruit to fruit.

Offlinegop
Stranger
Re: palenque mushrooms lost potency after drying [Re: Brennus]
    #11311840 - 10/24/09 02:39 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

To answer the few points:

I have always let my grows dry in the same way,just spread them on a newspaper in a dark place. I have done the same thing half a dozen times and never had this problem. So Slimz you are saying that I should dry them as quick as possible (while not using heat)? Could that make all the difference? Could it be that this particular strain does not taking drying very well?

Sprezzatura, did your friend dry and store palenque shrooms? This would be very useful info, as I would know it is not the strain that is the problem.

As for storing, just in a plastic bag and that goes in a box under my bed. I grew golden teacher a couple of years ago, dired and stored it in the same way and it lasted me for a year never loosing its potency. Also I ate some mushrooms 2 weeks after drying and they were pretty much useless even after such short time.

What is multispore inoculation? I made a spore syringe from a spore print and inoculated 8 jars. When they were fresh I ate 3 shrooms and triped hard for 5 hours. Now I would eat 2.5grams, which is something like 10 shrooms, with no effect. I've eaten them 7-8 times when dry, always almost no effect, not the typical effect anyway. They just make me restless.

OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
    #11311925 - 10/24/09 02:56 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Gop, I'm not sure of the storage duration or storage methods he used, but I do know that he used a low-heat food dehydrator to dry them.

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

#11312095 - 10/24/09 03:21 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gop said:
To answer the few points:

I have always let my grows dry in the same way,just spread them on a newspaper in a dark place. I have done the same thing half a dozen times and never had this problem. So Slimz you are saying that I should dry them as quick as possible (while not using heat)? Could that make all the difference? Could it be that this particular strain does not taking drying very well?

Sprezzatura, did your friend dry and store palenque shrooms? This would be very useful info, as I would know it is not the strain that is the problem.

As for storing, just in a plastic bag and that goes in a box under my bed. I grew golden teacher a couple of years ago, dired and stored it in the same way and it lasted me for a year never loosing its potency. Also I ate some mushrooms 2 weeks after drying and they were pretty much useless even after such short time.

What is multispore inoculation? I made a spore syringe from a spore print and inoculated 8 jars. When they were fresh I ate 3 shrooms and triped hard for 5 hours. Now I would eat 2.5grams, which is something like 10 shrooms, with no effect. I've eaten them 7-8 times when dry, always almost no effect, not the typical effect anyway. They just make me restless.

Two things:

How often are you eating them? Any more than once a week (and that's pushing it) and your tolerance will be far too high.

Multispore inoculation is growing from spores, as you described. Every fruit will be unique, meaning one fruit could be super potent and another could be weak as piss. You never know what you're going to get. That's why most advanced cultivators move on to strain isolation on agar.

Offlinegop
Stranger
    #11312426 - 10/24/09 04:15 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Its not a tolerance thing. I know all about it :wink:. I probably eat once every 1-2 months. Fair enough about the different strength between different fruits, but I ate 3 fresh shrooms and had a 5 hour intense trip. Since than I have eaten 7-8 times about 10 dried shrooms,with no effect. I am not a newb, I've grown quite a few times before, and never encountered this problem.
So far nobody touched on the question wether different strains loose potency in various amounts when dried.
The reason I started this thread is coz i still got half a palenque spore print left and am contemplating using it, but am scared that when I dry the harvest it would loose its potency.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

#11312484 - 10/24/09 04:25 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Drying only reduces potency marginally. Only by about ~10%.

OfflineCamKron
Mychotic
 User Gallery

#11312674 - 10/24/09 04:59 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

how long were they in the cupboard?

in order to check your potency theory, do palenq and do gt or cambodian at the same time, dry and store the same way
test out the palenqs first, see if they are potent or not
then try the other shroom

i dont have experience with palenqs, but that is just an experiment to test your theory

--------------------
:cool: :mushroom2: :cool: All Pics And Advice Is Just Google Research :cool: :mushroom2: :cool: :mushroom2:

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Re: palenque mushrooms lost potency after drying [Re: CamKron]
    #11312702 - 10/24/09 05:01 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CamKron said:
how long were they in the cupboard?

in order to check your potency theory, do palenq and do gt or cambodian at the same time, dry and store the same way
test out the palenqs first, see if they are potent or not
then try the other shroom

i dont have experience with palenqs, but that is just an experiment to test your theory

A cube is a cube.

Offlinegop
Stranger
    #11313594 - 10/24/09 07:22 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Thats exactly the point, i've grown golden teacher and mexican before, grown and dried in exactly the same way and the potency was excellent. I guess I will just have to grow palenque again and see what happens, at least I will have fresh shrooms for a month :smile:

Offlineskateordont
I'm just a rockn roll clown

Loc: Flander's Fields, eh!
    #11315307 - 10/25/09 12:29 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

How much did the 3 shrooms weigh wet? 3 shrooms means nothing when telling people how much you dosed, you have to weigh them out. Perhaps the 3 you ate were more dense than the ones you dried, and would have dried to 3+ grams, and you are comparing it to 2.5g, which could explain the "loss of potency". I would blame an inconsistancy (or error) of dosing as opposed to a loss of potency.

Try eating MORE than 2.5g, go for a full 3.5 grams. As previously stated, a cube is a cube is a cube, you do not get strains that don't tolerate being dried. It just doesn't happen (unless perhaps you ended up with a sub-strain that only produces psilocin, which degrades almost immediately upon drying, but I have NEVER heard of such a strain).

And yes, your drying method sucks, you can't leave food (which mushrooms are) sitting in a cupboard untill it dries out, it will spoil, you are asking for food poisoning. Use a food dehydrator, or at least use a fan over them in a warm place.

Good luck next time though, bunk shrooms must suck!

--------------------
My recipe for a good time:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation