Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Tapestry

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Mushrooms Are Magic, If You Pick The Right Ones....
    #11311429 - 10/24/09 01:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Mushrooms are magic, if you pick the right ones.

Fungi give us wine, bread, beer and more.

Date: 23 October 2009 - Yorkshire Post
By Ian Rotherham

Now is the season for the serious mushroom enthusiasts to be out and about scouring the region for a diversity of edible delights, often encountering the inedible or poisonous. We've had a long period of dry weather, and if we get rain and temperatures remain high, then the fungi will emerge. Once we have had a few frosts then the fungal season will be over.

The fungi we search for are generally the fruiting bodies of the mysterious and expansive networks of fungal mycelium which power our ecosystems, for the most part unseen and unknown. Not plants nor animals, but fungi, a whole separate kingdom of organisms without which we couldn't survive.

When you think that fungi give us wine, beer, bread and many other foods, and that they effectively power and then recycle all ecosystems and much of agriculture and forestry, this is an important subject. Fungi also include some of the world's most damaging organisms to buildings and some particularly unpleasant diseases. So this is a topic which has something for everyone. Yorkshire has long been famous for its mycologists, experts in all things fungal. From Roy Watling at Leeds University, to Roderick Cooke and Tony Lyons at Sheffield, Yorkshire's experts have led the world.

Today the standard bearer of an interest which grabs the attention of enthusiasts up and down the country is yet another Yorkshire mycologist, Dr Patrick Harding.

Formerly a lecturer at Sheffield University, he is now a freelance writer and lecturer, with a big fan-base. One of his passions is the rich tapestry of fact, and sometimes fiction, which surrounds the fungal world. Especially tasty are his talks on the practice by the Lapps of taking the Fly Agaric "magic mushroom" and so hallucinating through the dark winter nights with
flying reindeer and rotund men on sledges scudding across the sky.

He is also an authority on finding and collecting mushrooms to cook and to eat. This is something where the British are very conservative compared with our continental friends. I suspect we suffer a few less fatalities due to eating the wrong things found in the woods, but we are rather paranoid.

Being informed is important. Bad fungi are seriously bad and some of the symptoms and effects of serious fungus toxicity are hair-raising with a total breakdown of metabolic systems.

I speak with some authority here. As a three-year old I was rushed into hospital and forcibly stomach pumped by a matron with bulging biceps and all the sympathy of a brick wall. It had a big impact and what now makes it worse was that looking back I am absolutely certain that the "mushrooms" were perfectly harmless.

Patrick's recent book, Mushroom Miscellany, brings together a wealth of insight, information, knowledge and passion. If you have ever wondered about "St Anthony's Fire" or magic mushrooms, or perhaps pondered on the virtues of "Death Cap" or "Destroying Angel" this is the book for you.

Patrick Harding is speaking at Sheffield Hallam University on the evening of Saturday, November 28. (See www.shu.ac.uk for details of booking). Mushroom Miscellany by Patrick Harding, Collins, £14.99. To order a copy from the Yorkshire Post Bookshop, call free on 0800 0153232 or go online at www.yorkshirepostbookshop.co.uk. P&P is £2.75.

Dr Ian D. Rotherham directs the Geography, Tourism and Environment Research Unit at Sheffield Hallam University. E-mail: ianonthewildside@ukeconet.co.uk

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Mushrooms Are Magic, If You Pick The Right Ones.... [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11311438 - 10/24/09 01:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

His book, Mushroom Miscellany is pretty cool, I picked mine up at Half Price Books.

Offlinedispizeme

#11311775 - 10/24/09 02:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:

Especially tasty are his talks on the practice by the Lapps of taking the Fly Agaric "magic mushroom" and so hallucinating through the dark winter nights with
flying reindeer and rotund men on sledges scudding across the sky.

Fly Agaric? Dude needs to upgrade.

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
Re: Mushrooms Are Magic, If You Pick The Right Ones.... [Re: dispizeme]
    #11311876 - 10/24/09 02:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

lol, it's pretty common for people to not admit to doing illegal drugs in public

i think he does find actives from time to time anywayz :vaped:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

Edited by tektonic (10/24/09 04:05 PM)

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Mushrooms Are Magic, If You Pick The Right Ones.... [Re: tektonic]
    #11312015 - 10/24/09 03:07 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

He is talking about "The Lapps" taking Fly Agaric, and creating the image of Santa Claus and Flying reindeer with it's use.

Reindeer and other deer often eat Amanita muscaria, which is where the flying reindeer supposedly came from in Christmas legend, Along with Santa's red and white clothing....

Of course it is all "supposedly"...

Offlinedispizeme

#11312053 - 10/24/09 03:13 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting, I did not know that, about the origins of the Christmas tale that is.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11312077 - 10/24/09 03:18 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Did you know that they discovered the fact that you can drink the urine of someone who had eaten A. muscaria and trip, by watching deer lick the pee of people who had consumed the mushrooms?

It even filters out some of the toxins, giving the pee-drinker a cleaner high.

Peasants used to drink upper-class fly agaric eater's pee-pee to get high.

All of the above "facts" are tidbits learned here and there, so they may not be factual at all. Just shit I have read somewhere before.

Offlinedispizeme

#11312125 - 10/24/09 03:25 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I had read that somewhere before as well, interesting what people are willing to do to catch a buzz. However the guy who ate enough to have a high enough concentration in his urine couldn't be feeling to well.

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

Loc: USS Eldridge
    #11313519 - 10/24/09 07:09 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dispizeme said:
I had read that somewhere before as well, interesting what people are willing to do to catch a buzz. However the guy who ate enough to have a high enough concentration in his urine couldn't be feeling to well.

I read that as well, but as I recall the original urine drinking was sourced from a "shaman", so as to purify the high for the other tribe members.  This then evolved into straight up rich people pissing into poor people's mouths, lol.

--------------------
143/0x63/99...It's like watching the mycelium grow...
WARNING: You must be 21 years of age to experience hallucinations.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Mushrooms Are Magic, If You Pick The Right Ones.... [Re: myco99]
    #11313573 - 10/24/09 07:18 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I knew I certainly could have had it a bit mixed up. I just know that deer lick pee-pee.

Offlinedispizeme

#11315332 - 10/25/09 12:34 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Silly deer, piss is for the poor!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Tapestry

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service