Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechogaso
Stranger
**new pics** identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :)
    #11311378 - 10/24/09 01:35 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i am remodeling a 100 year old house that hasnt been lived in for 20 years.... while taking down the ceiling leading to the attic* (dark, cold, moist, and lots of animal feces) i saw a white spot of mold with a grouping of mushrooms growing down from a blackish colored 2x4... they mushrooms are golden and brown... stem was pretty strong... kinda hard to remove from cap.. no distinct bruising on the stems or caps... they seem to have maybe gotten a little darker in color... i tried to get a spore print and it didnt turn out to well it was golden brown/ orangish.... here are some pictures... any help would be appreciated...

[image][/image]

[image align=left][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

and this is the underside... sorry for the shitty cell phone pics its all i got....

[image][/image]

Edited by chogaso (10/24/09 04:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :) [Re: chogaso]
    #11311770 - 10/24/09 02:30 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

No idea what they are, but they sure are interesting for an indoor fruit.

Cool Find.

And gosh, I hope I don't have an addict in the top of my house....:wink:

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

Re: identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :) [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11311815 - 10/24/09 02:36 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

haha thanks for the spelling correction... yeah i found them and i was so excited! Im new to the hunt and uneducated in this field but i want to get into it more i think its a lot of fun... i was hoping if these turned out to be good i live on a farm right now and we have mini donkeys maybe try and grow a few mushrooms... if any other info would help let me know in if better pics are needed ill do my best to find a better camera... thanks :smile:!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :) [Re: chogaso]
    #11311828 - 10/24/09 02:37 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Likely to be Gymnopilus.

Likely to be toxic due to its growth on treated wood.

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

Re: identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11311838 - 10/24/09 02:39 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i doubt its treated... the house is 100 years old... thanks for the info!

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

#11311922 - 10/24/09 02:55 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

did a little research on "Gymnopilus" i found out that in japan most contain psilocybin but the ones found in north america some do contain psilocybin where most dont....do you think that in the environment they grew in that they would have psilocybin? also would it be a bad idea to dry and eat these? treated wood aside...

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11311992 - 10/24/09 03:06 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Pics aren't good enough to see what kind of mushrooms they are.

It might be a deadly Galerina.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11312047 - 10/24/09 03:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It would be cool to find either genus growing in an old-ass attic. I am jealous.

Anyone know of finding either genus indoors before? I'm sure it is possible, just curious if anyone knows of any occurrences.

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

Re: identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first find :) [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11312096 - 10/24/09 03:21 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

thanks alan.... ill get better pics up as soon as i can...also on wikipedia it says that the stems are brittle.... these stems were a little tough to separate from cap... the stems are wrinkly also... again thanks for the info ill try and put up more pics and info asap...

Edited by chogaso (10/24/09 03:24 PM)

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

#11312912 - 10/24/09 05:33 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

up... im not gonna have internet for a few days so any help would be nice... thanks guys!

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #11313115 - 10/24/09 06:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i used to renovate grocery stores and one time we had to remove these wood panels from along the floor in the meat department because they were untreated and getting sprayed every night with water when they sprayed the ground.well there was a serious patch of mushrooms growing right outa the wall,along with some badass black mold!! i wish i had pics of that.

--------------------

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

#11313193 - 10/24/09 06:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

haha for sure that would be cool... what did they look like?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: **new pics** identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first fin [Re: chogaso]
    #11313354 - 10/24/09 06:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Its hard to tell if those are Gymnopilus or Galerina even with the clear pics because they are dried.  It would be easier if the mushrooms were still fresh.

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

Re: **new pics** identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first fin [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11313423 - 10/24/09 06:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i did some more research and i found out (correct me if im wrong) that the galerina grows on wood that has already mostly been broken down by other fungi... this was on solid wood with white mold.... the way the look now is how they looked picked fresh so i dont know how long they have been up there.... even the less mature caps have sponge looking gills instead of vein ones... im trying another spore print.... if i dont get one ill try to moisten them a little bit... you can see is the shitty pictures a distinct eye in the middle of the mushroom which now seems to have gone away over night.... they seem a lot more brown then before.... would smell help? or would that be a bad idea? is there anything that would help you identify better? any sources you guys would recommend me to check out in order to help? there is another mushroom that was no where near mature that i left up there that i need to check on that may help.... thanks again for all the help... ill try and have more up in the morning....

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: **new pics** identification help please....southern minnesota mushrooms... could be my first fin [Re: chogaso]
    #11313493 - 10/24/09 07:05 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i did some more research and i found out (correct me if im wrong) that the galerina grows on wood that has already mostly been broken down by other fungi... this was on solid wood with white mold....

Both Gymnopilus and Galerina can grow on broken down wood.  Since the house is old its hard to say how broken down it is.

Quote:

even the less mature caps have sponge looking gills instead of vein ones...

That should not be the case.  Can you take any pictures that show that feature?

Quote:

would smell help? or would that be a bad idea?

Not a bad idea.  Gymnopilus often smells like anise.  Galerina doesn't have much of a smell.

You can also taste them.  Gymnopilus tastes bitter.  Galerina doesn't taste like much.

Quote:

is there anything that would help you identify better?

If you can check the spore shape, size and ornamentation in a microscope that would be great.

Also put some of the gills on agar and grow them out, when you have some fresh flushes it will be easy to ID them.

Hopefully you can get some good pics of the fresh one that you left.

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

#11313747 - 10/24/09 07:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

alan you are the shit.... ill try and figure all this out... its so exciting to learn this stuff... thanks for the help it means a lot.... ill work on this tomorrow for now is the time for some herb and sleep.... take it easy!

Offlinechogaso
Stranger

#11313864 - 10/24/09 08:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

sorry for the double post but the smell kinda smells like poop a little bit like a sour smell... and for the taste i just bit a little chunk off and it seemed mildly bitter... im a little sketched out to take a half cap or something just in case it is bad stuff....

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

#11313940 - 10/24/09 08:25 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Probably is Gymnopilus but it wouldn't be one of the active ones but like Alan said you can't rule out Galerina from these dried up specimens without scoping them.
If you want to eat it so bad go ahead and eat it. I can say this because I'm not going to die from YOU eating it...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification