Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Fairy Ring of Fungus....[TN]
    #11308970 - 10/24/09 12:00 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

October 22nd 2009 - Jackson Sun

Picture

A perfect circle of mushrooms in Nevisor Croom's front yard made her smile.

"You see how they go around in a circle," Croom said Tuesday outside of her East Jackson home. "I've seen mushrooms in my yard before, but not in any figuration. At first, I thought someone had thrown trash in the yard because the mushrooms were itty-bitty. But they just kept coming up and up."

Croom, 75, said she never planted mushrooms but found them growing in her yard about two weeks ago.

"It's just something that came up on its own," she said. "The mushroom itself doesn't surprise me because we've had a lot of moisture, rain and cloudy days. The temperature has been right for mushrooms. But why it grew in a circle, I don't know."

Alan Windham, a pathologist for the University of Tennessee in Nashville, said a mushroom circle like Croom's is referred to as a fairy ring. They are common in the fall after periods of rain, he said. "Sometimes they make a perfect circle," Windham said. "Most people don't realize that a fairy ring made up of 20 mushrooms or toadstools is one organism, not 20 individual organisms."

A fairy ring is produced by a fungus. Most of the body of the fungus is out of sight or underground, he said. "At a certain stage of maturity, the fungus will produce a reproductive structure such as a mushroom or puffball that releases billions of spores," Windham said.

There are three types of fairy rings: Type I fairy rings may have a dead ring of grass; Type II may have a ring of dark green grass; Type III has neither a dead ring nor dark green grass but simply mushrooms in the lawn, Windham said.
Most fairy ring fungi get started from the remains of a tree stump or its roots, he said. "Management of fairy rings is difficult," Windham said. "On golf greens, superintendents use fungicides to control fairy rings. In home lawns with cool season grasses, fertilizers can be used to mask the dark green rings. Where there are dead areas, try aerifying and irrigation."

Mushrooms produced in fairy rings are generally poisonous and should not be consumed, he added.

Croom invited friends over to see her circle of mushrooms. "One came and took pictures of it," she said. "They were amazed at it, too."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: Fairy Ring of Fungus....[TN] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11308987 - 10/24/09 12:04 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It's funny they say that you shouldn't eat mushrooms in a fairy ring.

That may be true, but the most common fairy ring mushroom, Marasmius oreades is a delicious edible known as (you guessed it), The Fairy Ring Mushroom.

I know that doesn't mean that all fairy ringed mushrooms are edible, of course, but it just seemed funny to me that Marasmius was never mentioned.

Edited by Twiztidsage (10/24/09 12:04 AM)

OfflineGanjabonga
Chief
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #11309035 - 10/24/09 12:14 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The mycelium grows in a circle to kill off the grass in the middle so the network can get more water.

OfflineDon Juan
Yaqui Indian
Male

#11309044 - 10/24/09 12:16 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

neato! i love it when wild mushrooms pop up in my grass, i even take extra care to not hit them with the lawn mower if they have not yet dropped their spores. sometimes i even weed wack right around them to give that beautiful clean yard snap around them =)

don't understand why people go out and spend money on fungicide...

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Fairy Ring of Fungus....[TN] [Re: Don Juan]
    #11309891 - 10/24/09 04:28 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

When i read this>>>>

Quote:

"You see how they go around in a circle," Croom said Tuesday outside of her East Jackson home. "I've seen mushrooms in my yard before, but not in any figuration. At first, I thought someone had thrown trash in the yard because the mushrooms were itty-bitty. But they just kept coming up and up."

"It's just something that came up on its own," she said. "The mushroom itself doesn't surprise me because we've had a lot of moisture, rain and cloudy days. The temperature has been right for mushrooms. But why it grew in a circle, I don't know."

For some reason i instantly thought it was an old black lady speaking....

Then i saw the picture and my suspicions were confirmed :smirk: ....

Aww man i'm stoned....

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service