Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSS32
Stranger

Loc: elsewhere
Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity
    #11306616 - 10/23/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Did I punch too many holes?  It's hovering ~80% RH

--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: SS32]
    #11306688 - 10/23/09 02:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

First thing to do is throw that digital hygrometer away.
Second thing is make sure there are hole on the bottom and the tub is raised so those holes can breath.
CH

OfflineSS32
Stranger

Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: CH HELL]
    #11306720 - 10/23/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's raised and has holes in the bottom.  I have an analogue hygrometer but it's non adjustable and reads 60% at 100% RH.  I'm too lazy to go get a better one.

--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11306743 - 10/23/09 02:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
CH

Are you one of those simpletons? Welcome to my Ignore list. :bye:
The idea that all digital hygrometers are garbage- without regard to manufacture or calibration- is pernicious nonsense that has no place in a discussion of science.
There are good digital instruments, there are bad analog ones. Either way, it's a poor workman that blames his tools.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: Doc_T]
    #11306766 - 10/23/09 02:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

are them holes 1/4 inch they look too big

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

#11307010 - 10/23/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

CH HELL said:
CH

The idea that all digital hygrometers are garbage- without regard to manufacture or calibration- is pernicious nonsense that has no place in a discussion of science.
There are good digital instruments, there are bad analog ones. Either way, it's a poor workman that blames his tools.

I agree, but shouldn't you ignore RR also?  He's the one who started this chorus of "digital hygrometers = rape of newborn babies."  That's why everyone repeats it with such impunity... because RR says it.

SS32, those holes DO look big.  But your first concern should be an innacurate hygrometer.  You can also try taping up some of those holes for a humidity increase, but not until you're sure your humidity is really a problem.

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11307050 - 10/23/09 03:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what is the RH% in the room the shotgun FC is in?

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11307316 - 10/23/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Digital hygrometers tend to get condensation on their transducers at the high humidity we run at and then you can't trust their readings.  I even have one that cost $250 and it reads 80% at 99%.  Most growers don't even bother with a hygrometer if they're running a shotgun terrarium built per the tek.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCamKron
Mychotic
 User Gallery

Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11307352 - 10/23/09 04:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i grew awsome shrooms in one of those...
its pretty tight, i could only get 4 cakes in there comfortably...5 was a stretch
i bought  a bigger one, but yea... are your holes 1/4"?
i staggered the holes when i made mine so they didnt line up perfectly like that...you could try taping some holes up and seeing if that does anything or tape some up and drill others next to them...

--------------------
:cool: :mushroom2: :cool: All Pics And Advice Is Just Google Research :cool: :mushroom2: :cool: :mushroom2:

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11308429 - 10/23/09 07:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

CH HELL said:
CH

ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME TO MINE AND MANY IGNORE LISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DUMB ASS HAS BEEN HERE FOR 6-7 MONTHS AND HAS 7,000 POSTS..........lol

I am giving advise from experience,  not from reading six months of other peoples grows.
CH

P.S. Boxxy is cute but damn she is stupid,  that voice lasts about 1 minute in my bed.......

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11308462 - 10/23/09 08:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tall dwarf said:
I agree, but shouldn't you ignore RR also?  He's the one who started this chorus of "digital hygrometers = rape of newborn babies."  That's why everyone repeats it with such impunity... because RR says it.

SS32, those holes DO look big.  But your first concern should be an innacurate hygrometer.  You can also try taping up some of those holes for a humidity increase, but not until you're sure your humidity is really a problem.

:confused:Are you saying digitals work?  Or just kissing RR ass,  it can't be both and you used both in one paragraph?
CH

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange

#11309869 - 10/24/09 02:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
Quote:

tall dwarf said:

:confused:Are you saying digitals work?  Or just kissing RR ass,  it can't be both and you used both in one paragraph?
CH

Yes I'm saying digitals work and no I'm not kissing RR's ass.  (just the opposite if you read it carefully)

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: tall dwarf]
    #11309996 - 10/24/09 03:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Digital hygrometers tend to get condensation on their transducers at the high humidity we run at and then you can't trust their readings.  I even have one that cost $250 and it reads 80% at 99%.

Do you happen to know what sort of sensor it uses? I have been doing some research on humidity sensors. At least from this article, it appears as though capacitive sensors are fairly highly resistant to extreme humidity and thermal conductive humidity sensors seem to be almost immune, while resistive humidity sensors seem quite prone to error when condensation forms on them.

Sure, even the humidity resistant sensors will have a much greater update delay when actively condensed, but I really think the thermal conductive ones show a lot of promise.

http://www.sensorsmag.com/sensors/humidity-moisture/choosing-a-humidity-sensor-a-review-three-technologies-840

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11310793 - 10/24/09 09:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Do you happen to know what sort of sensor it uses?

I haven't looked into it.

I can set my most expensive digital hygrometer out in the rain for days and it will never read over 84%.  I still have two or three others that when placed in a terrarium will only read 'HI' or '8888' after an hour or two.  It's not just the humidity, but also the direct misting/spraying that we do in our grow areas.  Water and electronics have never gotten along well.  Perhaps in the future, they'll find a fix for that problem, but in the meantime, digital hygrometers are the most accurate to use in a house at normal ambient household humidity, but in a 99% RH environment, mechanical hair hygrometers will give the best performance.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebeto
Psiconauta
Male

Loc: Paranoid City
Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11310832 - 10/24/09 09:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, this prick called Doc_T is really an arrogant cunt.

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

Re: Mini Shotgun Not Holding Humidity [Re: beto]
    #11312800 - 10/24/09 03:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah, this prick called Doc_T is really an arrogant cunt.

Perhaps, but then again, perhaps those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.

Quote:

digital hygrometers are the most accurate to use in a house at normal ambient household humidity, but in a 99% RH environment, mechanical hair hygrometers will give the best performance.

Agreed, but I think that's more of a market demand than technical limitation. I can't honestly think of much of anything in which such a high humidity is required (either as a consumer or an industry). Almost all humidity sensitive applications require it to not be too humid, or fall within a specific humidity range much lower than what we are looking for.

While I don't dare to consider your $250+ hygrometer a consumer good, that still doesn't ensure that it was designed for such extreme conditions that we require. Sure, more accurate sensors may be used, but if their physical limitations only allow them to be accurate in a spectrum which is no concern to you then a $1000 hygrometer won't get the job done.

I have high hopes for the thermal conductive humidity sensor, it seems like the correct digital solution for humidity measurement. It's pretty much a take on the 'dry bulb/wet bulb', but instead of using a wet bulb as the control, it uses the 'dry' one (Sealed in a waterless environment, usually nitrogen). Unfortunately, the only supplyer that I found for them isn't very accurate at useful temperatures (+-5% @ 30C, +- 0.5% @ 250C) and it was one of those places where you have to 'request a quote'. Even then, you'd still need a PLC to be able to make heads or tails of the thing and get some sort of output. Only major bonus to this is that by time you do all that work, you're all of 10 lines of code from making a hydrostat :smile:.

--------------------

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

OfflineSS32
Stranger

#11319051 - 10/25/09 03:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just ordered an analog hygrometer.  However, just to test the digital one, I left it in a tupperware with some perlite overnight and it read 99%.  When I put it in the shotgun, it drops to ~70%, and out in the open it reads %60, so I'm assuming it's somewhat accurate.  Even with a lot of the holes taped up, I'm still only getting 80%.

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11319513 - 10/25/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I just ordered an analog hygrometer.  However, just to test the digital one, I left it in a tupperware with some perlite overnight and it read 99%.  When I put it in the shotgun, it drops to ~70%, and out in the open it reads %60, so I'm assuming it's somewhat accurate.  Even with a lot of the holes taped up, I'm still only getting 80%.

$5 says its dead within a month...

--------------------

My Trade list.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11320595 - 10/25/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

fundamentalchair said:
Quote:

$5 says its dead within a month...

YES! Unless you take it out of the FC. Use it for dialing in fruiting conditions, and then check the FC once in a while. But 99% humidity will kill any electronic device that isn't weather sealed, so take it out to room air when you have things working well.

And I'm not really sure about analogs, in this respect. Seems like it would be bad to leave it in there, but I'm not really sure why.
A modern analog hygrometer should be brass or aluminum, and nylon, and you should be able to leave it in there forever. But I don't.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11320723 - 10/25/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My digital one seems to make it all of about 36 hours before the battery needs to be replaced.

Hell if I know if it's even accurate. Might take it apart and seal off everything but the sensor with some silicone.

Quote:

A modern analog hygrometer should be brass or aluminum, and nylon, and you should be able to leave it in there forever.

Is this the modern take on the horse/human hair hygrometer?

--------------------

My Trade list.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate