Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Loc: Illinois
The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality
    #11308284 - 10/23/09 09:30 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

has this famous experiment influenced anyone else's beliefs?

for me, the DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT is science showing that there is a non-physical aspect to the Universe. hopefully someday there will be more definitive proof, but for now, it is one of the fundamental scientific experiments which has caused me to believe what I believe.

link to video explaining the Double Slit Experiment:
#

and here is how this experiment has influenced my beliefs:

If the Universe were 100% physical, the particles / fabric of the Universe would behave 100% physically, 100% of the time. right?

Quantum Physics has taught us that particles only act 100% physically when we are observing them, but they act much much much more crazy / non-physically when we are not observing them.

Quantum Physics strongly supports the theory that the particles which comprise the fabric of our Universe are actually non-physical waves of possibilities, having multiple possible locations when we aren't observing them or recording / measuring them with a device. (This is not a physical wave like a water wave, it is a wave of possibilities, such as many possible locations, many possible paths, many possible sequence of events, many possible timings of events, etc.)

is this a non-physical property? is this a supra-physical property? is this an incomprehensible property of physical stuff? is it even physical stuff if it acts so non-physical we we are not observing it? who knows...

The double-slit experiment seems to suggest that physical matter is actually non-physical waves of possibility, but when we observe / measure / interact with those 'possibility waves', they simplify into definitive physical matter, in one physical place, at one physical time.

The very act of OBSERVING / TESTING / EXAMINING the particle causes it to change it's form from being a wave of potential possibilities, to being a very simplified, physical particle, in only one of those combinations of possibilities.

This means that the fabric of the Universe has a special quality which prevents us from knowing very much about the non-physical 'possibility-waves' that constitute the fabric of our Universe, because everytime we go to observe that non-physical, wave-like nature of the fabric, it instantaneously becomes simplified and physical.

It's like every time we try observe this non-physical, wave-like nature of the fabric of the Universe, it just simplifies itself to being plain and physical so that we can comprehend, understand, and observe it.

For this reason, it seems that we will never know the true nature / qualities / properties of the fabric of the Universe, because the fabric is so amazing, that it changes itself from being infinitely complex (when we are not observing it) to being super simplified (when we are observing it), almost as if the fabric of the Universe is 'aware' of when we are observing it.

To summarize, the fabric of the Universe is simplified and physical when we are observing it, and unfathomably complex and non-physical when we are not observing it.

This scientific experiment, and all the related experiments which surround it and support it, have led me to believe that all physical particles are merely SIMPLIFICATIONS of the infinite, non-physical 'material' which constitutes the fabric of our Universe.

that is just one small, yet important part of my beliefs, but I figured I would share it with ya'll in case you are bored and reading this discussion.

cya!

<3 Abe

--------------------
Abrahm
Spreading Psytrance & Love in the Midwest USA

Expand Your Consciousness. :mushroomgrow:

:peace: 9/11 Challenge: Explain the Evidence http://pookzta.blogspot.com

Edited by PookztA (10/23/09 09:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: PookztA]
    #11308319 - 10/23/09 09:37 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

What do you mean by non-physical?  Certainly quantum mechanics destroys the Newtonian concept of matter, but it doesn't replace it with anything spiritual or mystical.  Quantum physics is part of physics, and is therefore by definition physical.  I think there are some interesting implications that be drawn from quantum phenomenon, but I'm sick of all this phoney quantum mysticism that says, in essence, "Quantum physics proves reality is weird, therefore God exists."

--------------------

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: Silversoul]
    #11308375 - 10/23/09 09:48 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

if everything is really waves of POSSIBILITIES, and not physical matter, then isn't that non-physical? perhaps science will find a way to test it someday...

--------------------
Abrahm

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
    #11308420 - 10/23/09 09:57 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

'The Secret'

--------------------

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #11308438 - 10/23/09 10:00 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

If the Universe were 100% physical, the particles / fabric of the Universe would behave 100% physically, 100% of the time. right?

What do you mean by "physical"?

Matter? Stuff with mass? Light doesn't have mass, nor is it something that's really "there". When you look at this screen, you aren't seeing light emitted by your screen...rather the particles in your eyes are being effected by the particles in the screen.

What the double-slit experiment shows is that you can't explain what light is by calling it "particles" or "waves". That would be trying to think of light in really old ideas - like water waves and little balls. What it shows us is that the universe is a stranger place at its most fundamental level.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #11308447 - 10/23/09 10:01 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

PookztA said:
if everything is really waves of POSSIBILITIES, and not physical matter, then isn't that non-physical? perhaps science will find a way to test it someday...

No.  If physics can describe something, it is by definition physical, hence the name.  I believe you have the term "physical" confused with "material."  Quantum mechanics does indeed deal a devastating blow the very concept of matter.  But the non-material things it measures are still physical.

Furthermore, aside from this quackery being bad science, it's also bad mysticism.  If spirit something found at the quantum level, then each emergent level above that is another step removed away from spirit.  That means that a bacteria is closer to spirit than we are.

--------------------

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: Silversoul]
    #11308714 - 10/23/09 10:53 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Your conclusion does not follow the experiment, the correct conclusion is that there is much more research that needs to be done here to fully understand. :otd:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: explosiveoxygen]
    #11308831 - 10/23/09 11:22 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

explosiveoxygen said:
Your conclusion does not follow the experiment, the correct conclusion is that there is much more research that needs to be done here to fully understand. :otd:

i support this conclusion :laugh:

i am just interpreting subjectively bro, obviously i am not right, and i don't claim to be... we must push forward with Science with hopes of finding out what is REALLY going on. it is fun to conduct thought-experiments though, hypothesizing and theorizing and sharing your ideas with others... that is all i am doing. i am not a guru or a know-it-all, just a student sharing his thoughts with ya'll!

--------------------
Abrahm

InvisibleDieCommie

#11308882 - 10/23/09 11:34 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

I agree with the skepticism towards the claim its not 'physical'.  The experiment doesn't show any non-physicality, it just shows that the universe behaves in a very non-intuitive way which is :awesome:.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: DieCommie]
    #11309282 - 10/24/09 01:14 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Ive been looking into this experiment recently... I mean, I think it is kind of a joke when people say 'observing the universe collapses the wave function'.

The reason I think it is a joke is because, if you actually look at the experiments, 'observing the universe' involves changing the universe and allowing some energy to be captured in a measuring device. If observing the universe means extracting quanta of energy, then why dont people say:

"extracting a photon or electron from a system collapses the wave-function of that system"

oh but theres more to it - extracting a photon is not just a matter of chosing consciously to do something or not. a device will either collect information or not depending on where it is in space. although on a macroscopic level, measuring devices can be 'turned on' or 'turned off', its not so simple on a quantum scale. The device is either 'there' or 'not there'.

In the double-split experiment, the 'observer' is not sitting on teh side of teh experiment like in the cartoon posted in this thread. In experiments, the observer must exist in one of the slits, and thus can detect whether the electron goes through that slit or the other slit.

So, when they say that the observing the experiment destroys the interference pattern, they actually mean 'removing one of the slits' destroys teh interference pattern.

so this is why I am still confused... i mean... 'duh'... the interference pattern occurs when there are two slits nd dissapears when there is one slit... this seems blaringly obvious and thus it confuses me as to why there is any hype around the issue. Then I read dribble about consciousness having something to do with the experiment and it reminds me why I find this topic interesting.

but there is even more to it - the 'delayed choice' experiment.

Please, if someone can refute what I said above by appealing to the delayed choice experiment, it would be appreciated

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: Noteworthy]
    #11309406 - 10/24/09 01:51 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Edited by DieCommie (11/11/16 12:12 PM)

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11309437 - 10/24/09 02:03 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

thanks for the reply

essentially, people can only imagine things existing as particles, or waves?

I am confused as to why there is an assumption that light occurs in particles. it seems that it occurs as quanta.. but this is because tools for detecting or emitting 'photons' absorb or emit discrete values of energy. since there is no way of detecting a photon without having an atom gain or lose an amount of energy (thus telling us that the photon 'hit that atom' or 'was emitted by that atom'), why do people assume that there is a discrete, locatable 'grain of sand' flying through the air?

ps. how do you know which slit a photon went through whilst also leaving both slits open? (I believe this leads on to the aparatus used in the delayed choice experiment)

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: Noteworthy]
    #11309586 - 10/24/09 02:55 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Edited by DieCommie (11/11/16 12:13 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#11310889 - 10/24/09 12:02 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

this experiment for me is also very comforting with respect to showing how interference patterns are generated from an arrangement of point sources and distributed across flat media.

this behavior is fundamental to holography:

and is probably integral to how we store memory of sensory experience which arrives as point sources of electro-chemical energy and makes interference throughout the cerebral cortex.

the interference pattern looks nothing like the sense event, but it is a distributed key to what was happening all at once at any particular time.
later when a similar part of the interference recurs, the closest matching memories will unravel from nowhere completing the resonant motif(s).

yeah I know it starts with particle wave of light, and wanders into probability and the composition of the universe, but I love it because of the underlying interference, an apparent abstraction that is key to the total effect.

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: The Double-Slit Experiment & Spirituality [Re: redgreenvines]
    #11319074 - 10/25/09 05:03 PM (8 years, 10 hours ago)

thanks for all these great posts people! i am digging reading them. it is cool how we all have our own interpretations that are independent and unique, yet similar at the same time :smile:

thanks for reading and discussing,

-Abe

--------------------
Abrahm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology