Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhatever
Stranger
 User Gallery
My shroommates have not grown yet
    #11305980 - 10/23/09 12:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Howdy!
I have a psilocybe growkit from elephantos.com. It's a colonized grain substrate in a plastic box and a plastic bag with an air filter to put around. According to the manual I should have dunked the substrate in water for 12 hours. However, I was forgetful and it became 16-17 hours instead until I poured the water out. According to the manual the shrooms should start growing within 7-10 days. But now it's been almost 3 weeks and I can't see them pinning yet.
According to the manual I should also have placed them somewhere whith some indirect sunlight and where the temperature is about 20-25 degrees. But I don't have a place with really constant temperature and sunlight. I open my windows wide several times a day for at least 15 minutes, because I'm a chain smoker and otherwise I would choke, and it's quite cold now in Finland. So temperature goes up and down and up and down. And the sun has not really been there for a week or so. I wonder if it will come back one day. So maybe they didn't have enough light or not the right temperature, or whatever. I don't know.
Another thing is, that there is water shoeing on the inside of the plastic bag and little drops of dew on the substrate. Maybe it's too moist inside the bag? I already opened the bag two times to let new air come in. But the shoeing remains. And maybe it's not good to do that too often because of possible contamination?
Did I already do something fatally wrong?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: whatever]
    #11305994 - 10/23/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Probably too cold. You need a thermometer.
Pictures will help us figure out if your grow is ok.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineWTFFTW
Sick Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: Stirring the pot
    #11306011 - 10/23/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

whatever said:

Did I already do something fatally wrong?

Yea you bought a kit.LOL

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: WTFFTW]
    #11306187 - 10/23/09 01:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, You should have came here FIRST...read around a little and followed what you read here.

Since you bought a kid from some shotty site, Who knows what the hell you got going on over there... Spend a few weeks reading around the site for what to do. Search before you ask questions also. :wink:

P.S.... Why dont you contact the site you bought the crap from and ask their customer support whats going on?? LoL

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11306203 - 10/23/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I always love when people buy shit from a shotty site, then come HERE for answers. Why not go back to where you got the crap from and have them help you!?

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #11306456 - 10/23/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They need good light. Put them in a corner close to a fluorescent bulb that stays on 12 hours, then off 12 hours.  15 minutes of inconsistent light every once in a while isn't going to cut it.  I doubt your kit is beyond salvaging.  Especially if it has stayed petty cool.  Do try to put it somewhere more warm-ish though. 

I don't think there's any shame in using a kit. An Oyster Kit for Christmas one year is what got me interested in doing mushrooms.  If the company that makes it does a decent job and gives you an uncontaminated kit, then its a good way to get familiar with the lifecycle, without having to put in any of the really hard work.  If you like it, then learn to cultivate BRF, then bulk, from spore.  And if you really really like it, then get into culture isolation and all that stuff.  Mushrooms are a fun hobby, don't let a couple of elitists drive you away.  I still consider myself a mushroom newb, but I try to contribute what I know.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Offlinewhatever
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Horticulture]
    #11309913 - 10/24/09 02:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, now they live in my roommate's room on the window sill and I'll wait what will happen.

OfflineAimemailadress
Insight Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the Lions
    #11310096 - 10/24/09 04:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Window Sill?!?! away from Direct Sun light right?!?!

OfflineDionili
Second Rate Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between a Rock and a Hard...
Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Horticulture]
    #11310613 - 10/24/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Horticulture said:
They need good light. Put them in a corner close to a fluorescent bulb that stays on 12 hours, then off 12 hours.  15 minutes of inconsistent light every once in a while isn't going to cut it.  I doubt your kit is beyond salvaging.  Especially if it has stayed petty cool.  Do try to put it somewhere more warm-ish though. 

I don't think there's any shame in using a kit. An Oyster Kit for Christmas one year is what got me interested in doing mushrooms.  If the company that makes it does a decent job and gives you an uncontaminated kit, then its a good way to get familiar with the lifecycle, without having to put in any of the really hard work.  If you like it, then learn to cultivate BRF, then bulk, from spore.  And if you really really like it, then get into culture isolation and all that stuff.  Mushrooms are a fun hobby, don't let a couple of elitists drive you away.  I still consider myself a mushroom newb, but I try to contribute what I know.

Follow his advice, +5 for hort.

Pictures would be nice. Is the myc all nice and white? what strain were you growing? Do you know whats in your substrait?

--------------------

OfflineChasawah
Stargazer
Male

Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Dionili]
    #11310688 - 10/24/09 08:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

what temp did u colonize at?

Buy a desklamp and a 5-10 USD daylight CFL bulb.

Buy a small 10USD space heater.

But poth in a closet with your growbox, and monitor the temp.

Maybe invest in 2 24 hour timers, 30USD, and set up both... light for 12/12 and heat, your gonna have to eyeball, maybe 20min on hour off... see if it keeps your closet at a stable warm temp...

Offlinewhatever
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Chasawah]
    #11324997 - 10/26/09 02:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey all! Thanks for your replies!

@Aimemailaddress: About the window sill: I put them there because we had virtually no sun at all for the last 10 days or so. The sky is covered by a very dense cloud carpet all the time (almost like in the Matrix movie where the sky has been darkened by the humans), and since the shrooms still hadn't started to grow after such a long time I thought maybe it's the lack of light and maybe on the window sill they might get just enough light. It really isn't direct sunlight because all the dense fog is in between.
But still they haven't started growing now after three (?) days in this place. So I have put them away from the window again.

@Dionili: As far as I know it's rye substrate.

@Chasawah: I didn't colonize the substrate. It comes already colonized in that growkit.

I'll try to find a CFL bulb tomorrow. I don't think I need a heater. I have a closet in a warm place.

Here are pictures:

Offlinewhatever
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #11330014 - 10/27/09 07:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Today I was in the supermarket and I found a "plant lamp". It's a CFL bulb with a special frequency spectrum to help plant growth. I'm not sure if it's good for mushrooms. Should I use this one or a normal CFL bulb?
And can someone say something about the pictures? Looks okay?

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11330842 - 10/27/09 10:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Doesnt really matter. I use a regular light bulb for a fishtank aquarium. Have used it for over a year and have had nothing but success.

--------------------

Offlinewhatever
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #11331233 - 10/27/09 12:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, thanks. So, just that I get it right: Shrooms don't need real (indirect) sunlight or similar. They can happily live off lightbulb light only?
And then another question: After I have waited now for three weeks and nothing happened, should I maybe dunk the substrate in water one more time in case too much has evaporated?

OfflineAimemailadress
Insight Seeker
Male User Gallery

#11332750 - 10/27/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

from what iv gathered, direct sunlight will stall or stop mycelium growth, and with your light an ordinary flourensent(how ever you spell it) is perfect, but i dont think the spectrum of the light is that important, iv seen grows using a touch. lol
Do you have a thermometer? your optimim temp for incubation is between 84 and 79 and your fruiting temp is ten degree's lower

OfflineAimemailadress
Insight Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Aimemailadress]
    #11332803 - 10/27/09 04:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

dunking it again, i dont think will change much, and with the lights i have read people debating on what purpose light actually plays in the mushroom life cycle, personally i think it ovesly  plays a part as a trigger to fruiting conditions, i believe it serves as a guide, cause all the mono tubs that ive seen produce fuckin crazy pin sets are opaque with the only source of light coming from the lid, but here i might stand to be corrected...

OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: Aimemailadress]
    #11332896 - 10/27/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

it looks like there is a verm casing layer. and that there is some myc coming through it.

is that the case? or is it uncased? that will help us tell you the status of the substrate a lot

you took a picture looking in from the top of the bag. im guessing then that its not sealed otherwise and there is no filter on the bag right? if thats the case, your humidity may be to low. im not sure what the rh of your area is but getting proper FAE and keeping the RH up using the current method MAY not be enough.

a wonderful thing a lot of us around here us is something called a shotgun fruiting chamber. its just a clear plastic tote with 1/4" holes every 2" on all six sides. you wet perlite as mcuh as you can then add it. lift the whole thing off the ground for airflow and you have a nice environment. lookinto it. you could put the bag in there or better cut the bag down to the surface of the casing layer and place that in there.

look up roger rabit lets grow mushrooms videos. and buy them. once you have fruits youll be happy you did.

good luck! and look into the pf tek 2

Offlinewhatever
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My shroommates have not grown yet [Re: LitCloset]
    #11353513 - 10/30/09 05:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey! Sorry for my slow correspondence. I'm just so lazy. Hope you're still with me.

@LitClosed: Yes, it seems to be the case that it is cased with a casing layer of vermiculite, lol. And some mycelium is coming through, and now the shrooms, too.
And the bag is sealed with clothes clamps and it does have an air filter. I only opened it briefly for taking the second picture.
What are RH and FAE?

Here are new pictures. The shrooms are growing now. However, they have some white pocks or freckles on them. Are they okay?

And thanks about the advice on what to read and to look at if I want to get deeper into the science of shroomery. I appreciate that, but I think I'm not able to invest much time and care in growing shrooms, although I might do that some time later. With this kit it's (supposed to be) easy, although it's probably stupid as some have already pointed out.

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #11353685 - 10/30/09 06:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dude your doing just fine - patients pays off - ive never rushed anything and i have yet to get dissapointed - one they pop they just wont stop!! Ha - but kits are a great way to start in this hobby - hopefully itll make you happy or atleast pay you back your original investment - If you get a bunch - buy a pressurecooker asap and start colonizing grain jars yourself - its worth all the wait and work. Trustme bro:wink:

Great job -  im happy you got atleast some poping already!!:super:

--------------------
http://

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck