Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedandanrevolution
Jedi Master

First Grow - Contam or possibly spores?
    #11305700 - 10/23/09 01:49 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So this is my friend's first attempt at growing. After inoculating in a glove box the jars were placed in a box in the closet of a warm room (average about 75F). After 3 days he looked at them for the first time since quickly putting them away after inoculation. A small dark splotch was noticed at the inoculation site and believed to be just a clump from the spore syringe because one the jars got a big glob pushed in. 9 days later the jar has some growth but there is a brownish stain. is this just a large area where the spores were or a possible contam? should he toss the jar?

Edited by dandanrevolution (10/23/09 01:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

Re: First Grow - Contam or possibly spores? [Re: dandanrevolution]
    #11305997 - 10/23/09 02:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

im no expert when it comes to identifying contams. i have never seen this happen before with any of my pf tek jars.

the pics are blurry, its really hard to make out any brown stain. all i see is radiating growth with a few uncolonized spots in the inside.

i would try to take a better pic (i know its hard) that shows the brown stain in more detail.

otherwise you have some nice fast growth. 9 days from spores, that amount of growth is always nice to see

hold on to em for sure untill someone else comments. seperate them from the unquestionable ones.

Offlinedandanrevolution
Jedi Master

Re: First Grow - Contam or possibly spores? [Re: LitCloset]
    #11306085 - 10/23/09 03:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

well I'm talking about the brown section in the middle. You think it could just be uncolonized spores? I thought that's what it might be but I wasn't sure because none of the other jars have this. This jar has the most abundant growth. That one will be kept separate and see if anyone else has some insight as well. I'll try to get some better pics up, this was done with a crappy web cam as you can probably tell haha. Thanks I appreciate the help!:smile:

OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

#11306129 - 10/23/09 03:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

no uncolonized spores but uncolonized substrate. but the pattern is a little strange. does the brown stain look oily, or gooey or anything that would remind you of bacteria? even if it was bacteria i dont know if you could smell it let alone at that amount. if the jar smells (please dont open) thats a bad sign.

its hard to tell but im guessing its not colonized yet. is the substrate in the jar at those points possibley not touching the glass? is there a crack in the substrate there or something?

good luck

Offlinedandanrevolution
Jedi Master

Re: First Grow - Contam or possibly spores? [Re: LitCloset]
    #11306234 - 10/23/09 03:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

no visible cracks in the substrate or gaps between it and the sides of the jar as far as I can tell. And I wouldn't really say it looks oily or gooey. on day 3 after inoculation it looked a little gooey but thats when it was written off as probably being a blob of spores from the syringe. since there has been growth it looks to be the same texture as the mycelium but just stained brown. it doesn't appear to be spreading. as the mycelium grow it kinda looks like the spot is stretching out, becoming lighter in appearance. I dunno I'm stumped. I'll just hope for the best. The jar doesn't smell with the foil on or anything, but we're afraid to take the lid off at such an early stage.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #11306392 - 10/23/09 03:56 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Looks like metabolites to me. I usually don't like seeing them this early on during colonization, but nothing to worry about yet.

Offlinedandanrevolution
Jedi Master

Re: First Grow - Contam or possibly spores? [Re: Brennus]
    #11307327 - 10/23/09 06:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

OK that's good to hear. Thanks!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum