Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Oats
    #11304340 - 10/23/09 05:42 AM (8 years, 8 hours ago)

I googled rolled oats vs steel cut oats, and I still cant come to a clear understanding regarding which is healthier than the other and which needs less preparation.

From what Ive read through googling:
- Most people (not all) say that steel cut oats have more nutrients than rolled oats due to being less processed
- Steel cut oats have an insignificant amount of more fat than rolled oats
- Steel cut oats need to be cooked before consumed (most people seem to use a crockpot over night on low or for a half hour before consuming)

From what Ive read here on the Shroomery:
- Most people say that steel cut oats have more nutrients than rolled oats due to being less processed
- The shroomerites here dont mention much about cooking their steel cut oats, most shroomerites tend to just grind them up (or not even that) and throw them in their protein shake

Quick quote from http://coachlevi.com/nutrition/rolled-oats-steel-cut-oats-difference/:
"And don’t forget – steel cut oats need cooked for quite a while, while rolled oats are pre-cooked and ready to eat right out of the canister. So whatever advantage steel cut oats have is lost, unless you can somehow eat them uncooked.
Except if you were to eat them uncooked, you probably wouldn’t digest them, meaning you’d get more nutrients from the rolled oats
"

So.... Everyone agrees that steel cut oats have more nutrients due to being more processed but a lot of people cook them before consuming which would make them the same as rolled oats, except for most shroomerites who just grind them.

My questions are:
If you grind rather than cook, will your body absorb the nutrients as if it were cooked?
Do you prefer steel cut or rolled oats, and why?

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Oats [Re: eligal]
    #11315933 - 10/25/09 02:36 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I'd just go with rolled oats. All my bodybuilder friends sold me on the idea of steel cut oats but I've spoken with hardcore nutritionists that say it's just not worth it.

If you're the type to simmer a pot of oats in the morning, you're better off with that Red River cereal or whatever it's called. Tastes way better and has more than just steel cut oats.

Rolled oats are more convenient and the difference in nutrients is so marginal it's not even worth the trouble.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Oats [Re: eligal]
    #11337587 - 10/28/09 12:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I used to eat only steel cut oats.  I find that they do taste better, and they are healthier even if only marginally so.

The problem is that it takes so long to prepare them that it's only a real meal option if you have a non-hectic life.  When I became too busy my diet suffered because I simply didn't have time to boil the water, cook for 5 minutes, let them cool for 15 minutes etc..

The other issue is that the steel cut oats can be harder on the stomach.  Even after eating them regularly for a long time I would sometimes get stomach pains an hour or so after eating.

I just buy the "old fashioned" quaker oats.  They are rolled but they aren't chopped up like the one-minute oats.  They cook in the microwave in 2 minutes.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

OfflinenewshOne
searching
Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: Oats [Re: PowerTrip]
    #11337634 - 10/28/09 01:08 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

mm im gonna go cook up some oatmeal now

thx for the breakfast suggestion :tongue:

--------------------
Dont forget to stop and smell your flowers

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Oats [Re: newshOne]
    #11343250 - 10/29/09 03:33 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

newshOne said:
mm im gonna go cook up some oatmeal now

thx for the breakfast suggestion :tongue:

I eat around 1000 calories a day in quaker oatmeal alone.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being