Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Loc: BC
Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker * 3
    #11304231 - 10/23/09 02:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey shroomers!

My neighbor and I just built a kickass  pressure cooker. I'm totally stoked. She's a monster. Here she is during testing:

Sadly, my camera ran out of batteries just before we painted it black. Paint dries faster on a warm surface, so we painted the PC as it was cooling from its test run. It looks slick with the new paintjob, so I will post new photos soon.

Okay... the basic stats:

Using my rough measurements of 14x40 inches, using the formula for the volume of a cylinder, this thing holds about 110 quarts, over 100 litres. That's a lot of filter patch bags to knock up with LC!

That's also about double what the largest All American PC holds.

NOTE: you need to scrub the inside of any propane tank!!! It stinks like old rotten cheese in there.

This monster PC cost me under 200$, which includes all materials (mostly from the scrap metal yard -- an amazing resource for many areas of mycology) and a wage of $20/hr to my friend who has a machine shop in his backyard. To keep costs down, I was there to do the grunt work, like grinding down bolts and painting, as well as making decisions about extra safety features (I wanted them all).

The machine shop was in a trailer next to his house, powered by 220 volt cord buried in his yard.

Here's the shop:

Okay, so let's back up a little. I'm a noob. I once grew shrooms in high school; I've been busy ever since, and now, in my early 30's, I'm getting back to it.

Wanting to get back into shroom-growing, I had to make a decision: invite contamination by trying the many dubious "teks" that claim to avoid using a PC, or, find a way to acquire one.

I want to grow bulk, and wanted a PC that could handle volume. The largest AA PC only handles about 50 qts.

Over an evening of moonshine with my friend, we decided to go for double that volume: 100 or bust.

I want to acknowledge a previously successful build of a PC using a beer keg, as detailed here:
[url=keg tek]https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10891050/page/9[/url].

Although that tek worked, a beer keg is only required to handle the lower pressure that it takes to contain C02. Beer kegs are thinner than a propane tank, and thus, much more dangerous. Propane tanks are not only larger, but built of thicker steel, to handle hundreds of PSI.

We started with a tank that looked like this:
(with the nozzle removed, and the rim set in place but not yet welded).

Taken a few days later, here's a pic of the top, with the rim welded in place, an O-ring groove lathed into the rim, a matching O-ring set into the groove, and finally, a metal plate -- the lid -- lathed into a nice circle, and drilled with eight 5/16" holes, to match the threaded holes sunken into the rim (got all that?!).

Note: I had to grind down the bolts and round off the ends on a grinder, so that they bit enough thread to apply pressure to the O-ring (and thus seal the PC).

SAFETY FIRST:

I don't want to blow a hole in my roof when I start using this beast at home. So, in addition to the pressure gauge (taken second-hand from the lid of a wrecked All American PC I found in the local scrap-metal yard aluminum bin), I wanted two things: (1) an automatic, adjustable pressure-release valve, and (2) a manual pressure-release valve.

The manual valve (left, above) was easy. It cost $15 at a local automotive hardware store ("Okay! I'll go. On my motorbike, through the rain. Be back in 10 minutes."). We used a tapered pipe fitter's tap to sink the threaded hole, wrapped Teflon tape around the threads of the valve, and sunk it into the lid. Essentially, I flick a switch, and it starts bleeding pressure.

On the right is the beauty that we machined ourselves. It is a valve that is triggered by pressure. The "seal" -- which is never a complete seal, but allows pressure to dribble out, or gush out, depending on A) the pressure, and B) the valve setting -- is an inverted cone of metal resting in a hole. The cone can be lifted by pressure in the tank, to release pressure. By stacking washers as weights, or removing them, I can adjust the pressure it takes to release steam. On the test run, I determined that by stacking 2 washers on the valve lid post, I could maintain about 17 PSI with the propane burner turned way down.

Empty, with 4 litres of water, it took less than 15 minutes to reach 15 PSI. It'll take more heat to raise pressure with a full load of substrate bags, of course. But we were previously considering insulating the tank, and now I know that this is unnecessary. It absorbs heat like a mofo!

The adjustable pressure release valve is simple, but takes a skilled machinist to make. In my town, a mainstream metal shop charges $80/hr and won't let you hang out next to the welder. It really takes knowing someone, or having the skills and tools to DIY, to get this done. If you live in a city and don't know this person, move out to the sticks now. In a year, you'll know him -- he's out there!

I'm lucky to know a skilled metal-worker.

It took surprisingly little flame to heat, so we decided that we should make it electric. We'll get a 220-volt burner off a stove from the scrap yard (projected cost=less than $5), plus a few pounds of electrical cable at $1.50/lb. I'll add those photos when the conversion is made.

The biggest danger with this thing is it's top-heavy structure. If it were knocked over, the top of the adjustable pressure-release valve would fall off, and it would start gushing out super-hot steam, capable of melting flesh, and doing huge damage to a house.

Here she is, during testing (same as first photo):

So, it's gotta be kept upright. That'll be taken into account when designing the electric burner and stand....

Well, there you have it... a propane-tank converted into a massive bulk-quantity PC, in my neighbor's backyard, for under $200. I look forward to hearing what you folks think.

--------------------

Edited by Puma (10/29/09 02:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHaRo On KoRn
inmortal
 User Gallery

Loc: West Coast
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Puma]
    #11304266 - 10/23/09 02:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

wanna help me make a potatoe gun capable of breaking the sound barrier and making one hell of a sonic boom?????????????????

all the plans and measurments are in my head just help me make my piston and chamber with that lath

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
    #11304280 - 10/23/09 03:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Holy shit.

Nice job man. :thumbup:

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Rustifer]
    #11304301 - 10/23/09 03:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

that thing is kinda scary... but seems like u know wat ur doing... so good job .... i think.

--------------------
:shrug:

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL/MO/FL/TX/HI/OR
    #11304326 - 10/23/09 03:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

how are you loading the pressure cooker?
have you done a run with glass in it yet? a trivot for the bottom?
awesome ass valve!!!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

OfflineTLW
Stranger
Male

Loc: Why?
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: just me]
    #11304377 - 10/23/09 03:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

All of that just to make a rubber sealed pressure cooker?

No offense or anything but, while this is cool and you seem to have taken extra care to be as safe as possible, any pressure cooker is dangerous and I sure hope no children are ANYWHERE near that beast.

With that in mind, that thing is so impractical looking. Where are you going to put it when you're not using it? You must have a huge house, and you must be growing mushrooms full time to warrant such a large pressure cooker. How do you get stuff in and out of the pressure cooker?

Grats though.

--------------------
...Because pirates always win!

None of the pictures that are in my gallery, are mine. They were found using google image.

This is all fake.

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: TLW]
    #11304434 - 10/23/09 04:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That looks really good, i like the insulation idea alot.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #11304491 - 10/23/09 05:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TLW said:

No offense or anything but, while this is cool and you seem to have taken extra care to be as safe as possible, any pressure cooker is dangerous and I sure hope no children are ANYWHERE near that beast.

With that in mind, that thing is so impractical looking. Where are you going to put it when you're not using it? You must have a huge house, and you must be growing mushrooms full time to warrant such a large pressure cooker. How do you get stuff in and out of the pressure cooker?

Grats though.

most likely outside, or in the garage?

some people have several AA pressure cookers, soemtimes upto 4

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11304519 - 10/23/09 06:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TLW said:

Grats though.

I would run that with confidence... no offense, safety first and all.. hell I even have 4 kids, but people have lost site of the fact that people used to be self sufficient like this. And with planning these things are very possible to acheive. Weighted relief valve.. I think.. that will pop off before anything else does.

Secondly, I would kill to have one that size, I'd throw a short pipe axle, two wheels, and a handle and lug that thing all around my yard.
Which the OP may consider to add for stability.

8 Bolts around the top: unbolt, fill, rebolt.. nice. I have a Snap On cordless impact that would knock that out in 2 secs..

I like it.. I think this one and the guy who did the keg one are the best home made jobbies I have seen so far.

OP:

Any ideas on removeable inner racks or anything yet?

--------------------

Offlinecloudsaregathering
pasturbater
Male

Loc: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11304547 - 10/23/09 06:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

pretty sweet dude...

--------------------

"the root of the problem has been isolated"

Invisiblestonesun
Sclerotia Aficionado
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 64º08'00"N 21º56'00"W
Trusted Cultivator
    #11304769 - 10/23/09 07:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Puma said:

Here's the shop:

Gotta love it! Awesome:thumbup:

OfflineWildRover
On and off again
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE USA
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: stonesun]
    #11304932 - 10/23/09 08:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You
are
dedicated.

:thumbup:

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: WildRover]
    #11304936 - 10/23/09 08:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That shit is dope:thumbup:

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineRansom
Better than most

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: truskool]
    #11305020 - 10/23/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Heh, damn this looks like more than a hobby. More like someone decided to quit there job. :stoned:

Good work.

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Ransom]
    #11305031 - 10/23/09 09:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ransom said:
Heh, damn this looks like more than a hobby. More like someone decided to quit there job. :stoned:

Good work.

:lmafo::rofl2:

thats how us canadians roll

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

#11305070 - 10/23/09 09:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That is fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-!
Puma to the president :P:omgawesome:

Would love to see the results of jars that were PCed in this monsta...

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Offlinebigboi86
Overclocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: South East Flag
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: dstark]
    #11305073 - 10/23/09 09:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Goddamn son. I would have made it shorter and wider though.. lol..

Nice job though, I love custom fabrication.

--------------------

Anybody want to buy my shirt?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #11305184 - 10/23/09 09:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Scary...

and I have over 25 years experience working on Boilers and Pressure Vessels.

good luck!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Loc: Western PA Flag
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: bigboi86]
    #11305210 - 10/23/09 09:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Neat pressure cooker, I love how the machine shop was well organized! :smirk:

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
    #11305325 - 10/23/09 10:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Now you only need an elevator to put your jars in (and to take them out). Impressive. :rocket:

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineStratosFear
Witch Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Caribbean
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: LeopardMan]
    #11305399 - 10/23/09 10:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That thing looks like a freaking ICBM about to take off.

Scary, but appealing...

Congrats!!!!

:smile: SF :smile:

--------------------
...and yes, you're reading my siggie now...

OfflinewickerbasketBomB
granola munchin' tree hugger
Male

Loc: Tierra Azul
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: StratosFear]
    #11305556 - 10/23/09 11:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That thing is a fuckin massive beast! :FattyNoneck:

Good Job Man!

:goodluck:

--------------------
***Brown    =]

"The world is only in the mind of its maker. Do not believe it is outside of yourself." - ACIM

"A new consciousness is developing that sees the earth as a single organism...and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed." - Carl Sagan

"As long as people continue to see themselves as being seperate from everything else, they lend themselves to being completely enslaved."
- Peter Joseph

"WE ARE POWERFUL...BEAUTIFUL...EXTRAORDINARY!"

OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: wickerbasketBomB]
    #11305683 - 10/23/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I can see the news now. Birdseed and jars rains from sky for days over local home.

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #11305692 - 10/23/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just for shiggles, make sure you videotape the first run at full pressure.

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #11305727 - 10/23/09 11:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That is by far the gnarliest thing I have scene in awhile!! Good Job as for any other comments about that thing exploding I think you've covered all you're bases those tanks are designed to hold a decent amount of pressure 15 psi isn't gonna phase that thing!! now it's just mass loads of sterilization...I wish you lived by me so I could come over and borrow it!!...e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: HaRo On KoRn]
    #11305740 - 10/23/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HaRo On KoRn said:
wanna help me make a potatoe gun capable of breaking the sound barrier and making one hell of a sonic boom?????????????????

all the plans and measurments are in my head just help me make my piston and chamber with that lath

lol you sound like my grandpa (RIP)

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: cloudsaregathering]
    #11305772 - 10/23/09 12:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Oh my god, just when you think you have seen it all something like this comes along and puts a big beaming smile on your face.

You beat Nasa, the Shuttle has now been superseeded :wink:

Nice work, gratz :smile:

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11305785 - 10/23/09 12:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

One word....WOW!  :whoa:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Doctor]
    #11305789 - 10/23/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Doctor said:

You beat Nasa, the Shuttle has now been superseeded :wink:

Depending on those welds, the altitude may be similar. :smirk:

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#11307480 - 10/23/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Herbal_Elixer said:
Quote:

TLW said:

Grats though.

I would run that with confidence... no offense, safety first and all.. hell I even have 4 kids, but people have lost site of the fact that people used to be self sufficient like this. And with planning these things are very possible to acheive. Weighted relief valve.. I think.. that will pop off before anything else does.

Secondly, I would kill to have one that size, I'd throw a short pipe axle, two wheels, and a handle and lug that thing all around my yard.
Which the OP may consider to add for stability.

8 Bolts around the top: unbolt, fill, rebolt.. nice. I have a Snap On cordless impact that would knock that out in 2 secs..

I like it.. I think this one and the guy who did the keg one are the best home made jobbies I have seen so far.

OP:

Any ideas on removeable inner racks or anything yet?

Herbal_Elixer: Thanks for that. You're more technical than me. Weighted relief valve is what it is. One small risk I'm taking with the weighted relief valve, however, is that the valve currently has only one intake hole on the inside of the lid. So if that hole gets plugged by a large enough particle, the valve stops working. Production models (at least the ones I've looked at) have several redundant intake holes for their relief valve, to decrease the risk, if one gets clogged. I might add something inside the lid to help protect my one intake hole. But yeah, other than that I love the valve as it's easily adjusted with washers as weights, and vents like a damn!

I agree, we do lose sight of the fact that we're almost conditioned not to be self-sufficient these days. Consumerism only runs if we leave all fabrication up to the big corporations (who "know better"). But really, with a few tools, the right materials and careful planning, you can make all kinds of useful things. Like you say, the 8-bolt lid will be a breeze to unbolt and open (under a minute, if I do it the way you mentioned).

I like your idea of a way to shuttle it around. Because I'm going to convert it to electric, I think I'll actually set it up inside, so I can keep a closer eye on it. I'll post the final set-up fairly soon.

A few people asked about loading and unloading, and the interior of the PC. Essentially, building the bottom rack or trivet to keep substrate bags off the pot-bottom will be a bit of a challenge, because the PC mouth diameter is 8 inches wide, but main body of the PC is 14 inches. So we'll make it in two halves, reach inside, bolt them together into a round rack with legs, which will keep everything about 3 inches off the bottom.

I'm also going to sew together a cotton bag, made out of a large towel, that fits inside the PC as a liner. I read in these forums that a towel liner in a PC keeps autoclavable bags from melting on contact points with the PC.

We have already welded on 8 stubby pegs (angled upwards and inwards) to the inside of the PC near the lid. These will act as hangers for this towel liner. That will not only avoid contact of substrate bags with the metal sides of the PC, but it will help with loading and unloading as well.

For example, when loading, I'll load this liner with the first few substrate bags, and then lower the whole liner into the PC. As I lower it, I'll add more substrate bags, and by the time I set the liner down on the tray at bottom of the PC, I'll be able to load the top half in an easy, controlled way. Before putting on the lid, I'll hang the top of the liner on the pegs. After heating and cooling, I'll unload the upper contents, and then lift the whole liner to raise things from the bottom.

We'll see how it goes. I'll document the first full run of this beast!

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, encouragement and skepticism so far -- it's been great to read, made me smile. Let's hope I don't cause a rye grain to rain down like a layer of volcanic ash all across town.

--------------------

InvisibleAuxin
Stranger

Loc: USA
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #11307550 - 10/23/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like a nice job :smile:
I'd build removable safety legs so it couldnt fall over and test repeatedly to make sure stuff near the top is getting properly heated.. the height to width ratio seems awkward for efficient heating.
And seriously- make your mate clean his shop! That much chips and clutter will not let him achieve the machining tolerances he otherwise could. Not to mention the possibility of tripping and getting a finger yanked off by the lathe (it does happen).

--------------------
The Nook

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#11307565 - 10/23/09 05:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
Quote:

Ransom said:

Good work.

:lmafo::rofl2:

thats how us canadians roll

So true, Truskool!

--------------------

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Auxin]
    #11307594 - 10/23/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Noted, Auxin...

I think the shop clutter is there to stay, but buddy has a knack for creating order out of chaos... Regarding your other comments regarding design safety and effectiveness, I'll post improvements and results as they happen... but bear in mind that pressure readings are taken from the top of the cylinder, and (with nothing but 4 litres of water inside) it reached 15 PSI from a cold start in under 15 minutes. So I'm optimistic... but we'll see.

--------------------

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#11307673 - 10/23/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

SHE HAS A NAME!!!

I'm calling her the "All Canadian"!!! :rofl2:

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11307733 - 10/23/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Puma said:
SHE HAS A NAME!!!

I'm calling her the "All Canadian"!!! :rofl2:

:highfive:

--------------------

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11307771 - 10/23/09 05:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

let me just say that thing is amazing
a lil scary but awesome none the less

and do you have a link to thatbeer keg tek
the first one didnt work

good job on that monster

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11307793 - 10/23/09 05:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11307797 - 10/23/09 05:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinexbrutalx233
Learner
Male

Loc: Planet X
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: LeopardMan]
    #11308178 - 10/23/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This makes me super happy... It's good to see people can still do this, and actually be self sufficient.

--------------------

I do not grow anything that is illegal... Everything is of the legal variety... if someone mentions any illegal activity it isn't me...

Offlinetwiztidthoughts
Stranger

Loc: Central Alabama
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: xbrutalx233]
    #11308266 - 10/23/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You are a lucky man!

110qts?! With that much spawn one grow would have you and your neighbor set for life!!

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: twiztidthoughts]
    #11327848 - 10/26/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Here she is, ready to use, converted to electric: the All-Canadian 110 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker.

All new materials were free or cheap from the scrap metal yard. The 240-volt electrical cable (metal-encased) cost $5, and came off a clothes dryer. The burner and dial were off a stove. In fact, aside from the 0-ring, bolts and one of the valves, everything on this PC is being re-used or recycled.

The latest additions, possible thanks to the ingenuity of my neighbor, is the burner, pictured below. It isn't as fast as the propane stove, but will be easier to control, and safe to use inside (in theory. I trust it). It doesn't heat up the floor enough to warrant tiles, and because of the metal sleeve and wide base, it makes the whole stove much more stable. You would have to rugby tackle it to knock the thing over.

For anyone interested in the interior, here are a couple of shots, showing the tray with stubby legs at the bottom, to hold contents above the water, and the other shot shows little tabs welded inside the upper rim, for hanging the liner, which will keep polypropelyne bags out of contact with the metal, and make it easier to load and unload.

So, there you have it.

Fairly soon, after growing some LC, I'll cook up some bags and jars and see how things go!

Note: the electric version will require an insulation jacket. Even at 240 volts, it took 1hr to reach 13 PSI with only 6 litres of water, and nothing else, inside. That's where it topped out, losing exactly as much heat from its hot surface, as was being pumped in by the element. However, when we wrapped it in a blanket the pressure shot up within a matter of minutes, so that's the solution -- to make a jacket for it -- of course, without any hanging threads that could catch on fire.

--------------------

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: Puma]
    #11601859 - 12/07/09 09:14 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I like this idea, although I'd never have a use for a contraption so large, personally. :biggrin:

I think you'd be doing yourself a favor if you ditch the bolts and install some studs in the bolt holes so you can use larger wingnuts like on the AA PCs.  You don't really need that much torque to clamp it down, and I don't think it's really the greatest of ideas to constantly use impact tools unless you're checking/replacing the bolts and the bolt threads on a consistent basis.  The bolts and the threads will eventually get brittle.

Also, 6L of water seems like a lot.  You could probably halve that.

(I know this thread is a month and a half old, but I think this might be worthwhile.)

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: Sillicybin]
    #11601919 - 12/07/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Nice! I will be building a square one after Christmas. I wouldnt worry too much, I saw one on Myth Busters and it took over 350psi before it exploded like the Oklahoma City Bombing.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: Cloneufc]
    #11602284 - 12/07/09 10:38 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you need insulation, get some fiberglass insulation bats for walls, and tear the paper backing off.  Wrap the fiberglass around the tank, and then cover with metal flashing obtained from your local home repair supply.  You can use small sheet metal screws to fasten the flashing to itself after you wrap it around the tank.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineretarrrd
while(1) me->eat(shrooms);
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11602484 - 12/07/09 11:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

that is just plain awesome.
congrats!

--------------------
learn that everything you learn is just, in fact, learned, and not necessarily the truth.
the same goes for what you've just read.

Offlinejim617
untrusted cultivator
 User Gallery

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: retarrrd]
    #11602681 - 12/07/09 11:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

When I was a kid I remember making dry ice bombs from 2 liter bottles. Those things were powerful. When I use a PC and it fills with pressure It reminds me of the dry ice bombs building pressure before they blew up, the PC even makes similar cracking type sounds too! When I look at your PC I see a huge bomb lol I'm sure its perfectly safe but just the idea of what that thing can do is scary.

InvisibleSporeTek
youFucktards
Male

Loc: PNW Cascades
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: jim617]
    #11603296 - 12/07/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Reminded me of a cool water rocket toy. If you put the right amount of water and pumped it up with air, when it took off and blasted the air and water out, that thing would fly probably 500 feet high.

Puma, did the stench of ethyl mercaptan ever leave your monster PC?

Offlinefig
spore collector
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: usa east TN blue ridge mt...
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: SporeTek]
    #11603333 - 12/07/09 01:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

couldn't u figure out a way to use a big hot water heater tank for a pressure cooker?? i mean it already has the heat elements built in.

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#11608757 - 12/08/09 04:19 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, thanks guys! I'll respond to a few of your comments (Sillycybin, RR, SporeTek & fig):

Quote:

Sillicybin said:
"...I think you'd be doing yourself a favor if you ditch the bolts and install some studs in the bolt holes so you can use larger wingnuts like on the AA PCs.  You don't really need that much torque to clamp it down, and I don't think it's really the greatest of ideas to constantly use impact tools unless you're checking/replacing the bolts and the bolt threads on a consistent basis.  The bolts and the threads will eventually get brittle.

Excellent idea. Didn't go with posts and wingnuts originally as we had space issues that prevented us from easily installing and weld-anchoring bolts from below the flat rim. I don't actually use impact tools; it is quick enough to loosen and tighten the bolts by hand tool, although wing nuts would be nice. Might do as you suggest if I run into wear problems.

This last month I've been experimenting on a smaller scale with a regular PC. By early January, however, I anticipate firing up this 110 QT to sterilize a full load of substrate for receiving grain-to-grain transfers. I'll document the event. 

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you need insulation, get some fiberglass insulation bats for walls, and tear the paper backing off.  Wrap the fiberglass around the tank, and then cover with metal flashing obtained from your local home repair supply.  You can use small sheet metal screws to fasten the flashing to itself after you wrap it around the tank.
RR

Hey RR, this is spooky: you just described the boiler jacket on my still! Seriously, here it is:

So far, I haven't done the same for the PC. But I did fit it out with a woolen blanket that tests show is a great improvement over nothing at all.

Now that I've mentioned the still (and in keeping with our theme of "DIY, but don't blow up the house") here's a way to make your own 95% pure ethanol disinfectant / lamp fuel for your lab. Double-distilled, it makes a great additive for eggnog, too. 'Tis the season!

Quote:

SporeTek said:
Puma, did the stench of ethyl mercaptan ever leave your monster PC?

No! Much scrubbing later, the smell is still there, though reduced. It no longer makes me light-headed. This is how I learned the little-known fact that propane is virtually odourless, so the tanks are coated inside with what smells like rotten eggs, so that people notice gas leaks. That smell... oh why did you bring it up.

Quote:

fig said:
couldn't u figure out a way to use a big hot water heater tank for a pressure cooker?? i mean it already has the heat elements built in.

So you're an ex-moonshiner, eh? Well I bet I know how you would modify a nice big copper hot water tank. Just needs a reflux column... :toast:

InvisibleSporeTek
youFucktards
Male

#11609274 - 12/08/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Why did I bring up the smell you ask??? Hahahahaha because I know. They add only 1 pint per 10,000 gallons of liquid propane. It is embedded in the pores of the steel tank. You will never be rid of it. Nasty stuff that will invade your subs too. Anyone using this technique should invest in a new unused propane tank. You could cook it out with a torch but beware of explosion hazard.

InvisibleSillicybin
    #11609353 - 12/08/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Thiols can be oxidized to sulfoxides, which have only a faint smell, using bleach or related oxidants.

I love Wikipedia.

InvisibleSporeTek
youFucktards
Male

#11611401 - 12/08/09 05:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, you can prolly bleach what you can get to but it diffuses into the metal grain under about 300 psi so it will be bleeding out for years I'm thinking. who knows. I have seen a split open tank covered in that black nasty smelly shit; I don't ever want to go there again.

Offlinefig
spore collector
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: usa east TN blue ridge mt...
    #11611635 - 12/08/09 06:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

dam skippy but u wouldnt have the  smell with a water tank.
and i agree that thing is a little bit too long needs to be wider. but great project none the less.

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: fig]
    #11613025 - 12/08/09 09:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, wider and less smelly would be wonderful, but I had to work with the available resources. That is the name of the game where I come from. For example, when I read what RR said above about picking up sheet metal at the home store, I thought "fair enough, but why not pay 90% less by going to the scrap metal yard?" In my case, that's what's locally available, so I use it. You can't make generalized statements like "anyone wanting to make a big PC should invest in a new tank, or a hot water tank," because everybody has different things available. Sure, I think a big hot water tank would make a great PC if properly converted, but used propane tanks are cheaper and more abundant at the scrap metal yard near me, and they work! I had to do a lot of scrubbing with a powerful solvent (which I didn't love doing, for environmental reasons) but it's not so bad now. The smell only escapes when the PC is open, and then quickly dissipates. I will report back about whether it permeates the substrates, which I guess theoretically could happen through the filter, but if so, so what? Is it going to inhibit growth or lead to mushrooms that taste like ethyl mercaptan? If not, then I can bear a bit of a smell, for increased efficiency.

The whole idea is to have a practical way to do a week's worth of regular sterilization all in a single run. Given that this PC meets that goal, and is safe enough for me, I try not to sweat the small stuff.

By the way, did you guys check out the hot water heaters exploding in the video that Clonedufc posted above? (thanks man!) Pretty impressive how steam under pressure can explode. The video is a reminder to always keep your relief valves safe from getting clogged (and never to hold your head above a PC about to blow).

--------------------

InvisibleSporeTek
youFucktards
Male

#11613099 - 12/08/09 09:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I love what you're doin' man and I wasn't trying to pee your parade or dis you at all....I just thought any one with ideas of folllowing your lead with a used tank should fully know what they are going to find and have to deal with if they crack one of those things open.  :hatsoff:

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#11613436 - 12/08/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, thank you kindly, in that case. A very good point. I mistook that for pee raining down on my parade.

InvisibleSporeTek
youFucktards
Male

#11613785 - 12/08/09 11:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:urinate::rabble: :badidea:  not me buddy

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11615761 - 12/09/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'd like to find a nice fat water heater to make a similar PC.  The advantage of using a water heater is they're designed to operate at up to 150 psi, and by law, can't fail at less than three times the operating pressure.  That's a pretty good margin of safety when we're talking about operating at 15 psi.

Thanks for posting, Puma.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11615847 - 12/09/09 10:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Way cool.

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

#11651802 - 12/14/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That sirrr looks dangerous. Safety first!

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: blackdust]
    #11707213 - 12/23/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I was overdue for some grain-to-grain transfers, so I decided to finally test my big custom-built pressure cooker.  I had no idea how many mason jars it would hold. I had guessed about 35.

I was wrong. It holds 40 one quart jars, and 13 half quart jars, for a total of 46.5 jarred quarts. I was really happy about this, as it means that I can run my pressure cooker quite infrequently, but still have lots of sterilized grain to work with. Also, it was easy to load and unload, using cords tied to a platform at the bottom. I could load / unload everything by hand, except for the bottom layer, for which I needed to pull up the platform, like raising a bucket from a well (real easy). Also, with a couple of wool blankets of insulation, she reached 15 PSI in about an hour, and then I was able to turn down the burner to medium, and she held her heat.

All in all, I'm satisfied with how she works. A bit of rust drips off the lid, so maybe next time I'll smear it with vaseline and see if that helps any.

Now, I have to go and deal with those 53 jars!

Edited by Puma (12/23/09 08:02 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

#11707259 - 12/23/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That my friend, is intense.
pics/specs of cooker?
How'd you make it?

--------------------
"Don't attempt to stifle his experimentation because you have a hardon for me." -RogerRabbit

LEARN TENACITY - HAVE PATIENCE.
WITHOUT IT - YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED AT THIS HOBBY.
-Agar

THIS SHIT IS MAGICAL TRIPSTALMETH STOP JUDGEMENTING ON MY HABITS

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: Ingrimus]
    #11707262 - 12/23/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

and how do you know it's at the right psi?

--------------------
"Don't attempt to stifle his experimentation because you have a hardon for me." -RogerRabbit

-Agar

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#11707327 - 12/23/09 04:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Check the beginning of this thread, it tells the whole story. I found an old All-American PC lid at the scrap metal yard, and removed the gauge, and installed it on the metal plate being used for this unit.

Offlinestoner42001
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11707352 - 12/23/09 04:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

my buddy comes home from the military in january and he has plans of building a huge pc and everyone else thinks he is crazy and he is going to blow himself up. He is well educated and highly skilled but i am not going to hang around for the testing :smile: I sent him your post for inspiration... and thanks for noting that it has also been done before with a beer keg great post good luck

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: stoner42001]
    #11707370 - 12/23/09 04:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

WOW IM A RETARD.
I thought I had first post.
DERP! (this kids is why you don't wake n bake with a hangover)

Sorry.

--------------------

-Agar

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

#11707418 - 12/23/09 05:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Amazing though man, seriously amazing.

--------------------

-Agar

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
    #11708284 - 12/23/09 07:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Way to pressure cook man! :super:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

OfflineIslandShroomBoy
Stranger

#12176466 - 03/10/10 09:36 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

That is sweet

OfflineKillaFoRilla
Heretic
 User Gallery

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: IslandShroomBoy]
    #12176511 - 03/10/10 09:47 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Holy cow man, thats a nice PC. I wish I had a shop like that so I could build cool stuff too. :frown:

--------------------

Offlinebasic360
EE
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South Flag
Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: KillaFoRilla]
    #12176781 - 03/10/10 10:50 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

I thought of building my own pressure cooker but after seeing this it makes me think twice...nice job man and keep up the good work.

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker [Re: basic360]
    #12176850 - 03/10/10 11:04 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

envious doesn't even describe how i feel.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Mycosphere( Blessed C...
    #13382808 - 10/24/10 10:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Badass PC!!!

do you still have it, how is it holding up?

Did you ever make a jacket for it?

I thought of this: or some double bubble but single bubble may work way better

Maybe tied or bungied, But this stuff can create very very high thermal R values for that PC.

I kow i know old post and sice i dont know the lil
:blank: for the resurrected old post here ya go    :thispostcrawlingoutfromthegrave: :lol:

Edited by Barakanaten (10/25/10 07:49 AM)

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: Barakanaten]
    #13393188 - 10/26/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, Barakanaten...

Yeah, she's still going super strong, holding up well. The O-ring broke one and I had to crazy-glue it back together, but other than that, she's bomb proof, just keeps going. In fact, we built a second one for a friend, and it is even better, but the same basic design.

I never made a jacket. I stuck with tying wool blankets around it, which makes a huge difference. Wouldn't think of running it without this simple insulation.

A friend of mine borrowed it a while ago and almost burnt down his house. He positioned the burner and PC on a wooden deck. I've often done that too, but I always put reflective metal below it (cardboard with tinfoil works -- it reflects up all the heat). He didn't. The deck absorbed the heat, caught fire... then a whole bunch of stuff caught fire. Propane hoses, deck planks... he barely caught it in time. A mushroom grower's worst nightmare. You gotta be careful where you put a propane burner!

On another note, I've made a new sterilizer. This current PC, the subject of this thread, holds 44 quart jars, but could hold a few more if I shaved down the legs of the rack at the bottom.

The one I just made holds about 100.

It's a version of RR's 55-gallon drum sterilizer, but I use an old decommissioned freezer instead of a drum. I just pipe steam into the thing, and vent it out the other side. It holds a bit of pressure; not much, but enough. It's still in the testing phase. I'll post a thread on it one of these days!

--------------------

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Mycosphere( Blessed C...
    #13396502 - 10/27/10 05:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Glad to hear she's holding up:thumbup:

I really like the idea of doing 100 qt's at a time, but even more so I like the idea of needing to do 100 at a time:lol: ( I know I know you don't have to respond to that:grin:)

I love Fabrication and modding it has been a serious passion of mine since I was a child, I never took the the age old adage of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or "don't reinvent the wheel"

I think its up for interpretation as to what "ain't broke" and how well or suited the "wheel" really is for any given application.

I think the spirit of invention is a contagious thing and perfectly suited for the shroomery and big ups to you Puma for bringing that spirit here and I enjoy this thread a great deal and hope to be seeing the new and improved PBAP model 100QT (Puma's Big Ass Pressure cooker 100qt:thumbup::grin:)

Check out my Grow!

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:New to cultivation? :sunny: Have a Question?:mushroomgrow:
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
:blueangel:
Official PNW Mushroom Hunting Season 2011
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."
-Definition of a mushroom hunter by ~Angelo Pellegrini
:gallery: :omgawesome: :gallery:

InvisibleUnholyshite
Stranger

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: Barakanaten]
    #14224798 - 04/02/11 04:19 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

lovin it!! 

so i'll throw out a simple, heavy but simple design,  how about some plate steel of proper thickness, get creative with some angle iron and bolt it together for peace of mind and extra reinforcement so if something fails far less things go flying around.
then weld up the corners/seams to seal it, make a door but have the bottom of the door 6" up to allow for water to sit in the bottom (wouldn't need 6" of it, but a nice easy measurement), and wham u have a nice big box PC, make some nice rolling racks, put needed amount of propane burners under it and BAM  see what fits. 

definitely not a mobile unit, but if u live in the country with a few acres, a friend with a flat bed, a metal yard with the needed plate steel or a friend in a steel shop seems doable.

drill, or torch for some of the holes, drill and tap for gauges and valves. somewhat basic welding. guys talented enough to make the tank could probably slap a box together in a heartbeat.    (co-workers used to build tube bumper air tanks for their trucks out of large iron pipe left over from jobs)

build it to run 20 psi, set up the insulation so that the side insulation has a small air gap, so when u remove the top section it allows convection current to cool all sides when only uncovering the top.  u could even section it off if u decided to make a big one, just in case a failure happened in part B it wouldn't have ALL the steam trying to get out, and the other section could finish its cycle at least & keep u working!! :smile:  or if u only needed to use part of it, wouldn't have to pressurize all of it.

put 4+ propane burners under it to get it up to temp in 20-60 mins, probably only need 1 or 2(even heat if its long) to maintain temp
crank out  X amount of bags/jars in  as little as 3 hours, plus cool down time.   

but hey, i am captain overkill :wink:

InvisibleUnholyshite
Stranger

Re: Home-made, high-volume Pressure Cooker - New Pics [Re: Unholyshite]
    #14224802 - 04/02/11 04:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

and hey, in the winter u could route the radiant heated air from it into ur house, shop, anywhere u wanted to run a lil ducting :wink:

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
    #14224829 - 04/02/11 04:56 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If you're going to do this, could you get video of the test run and post it here?  Should be good for a few laughs.

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

OfflinePuma
surfing when I can
Male

#14234514 - 04/04/11 01:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

jakubman1 said:
and hey, in the winter u could route the radiant heated air from it into ur house, shop, anywhere u wanted to run a lil ducting :wink:

Hey Jakubma, thanks for posting. First I have also considered plate steel for a big box, but the cost of steel and the weight it would come to, plus the work of building are the immediate concerns, especially given the abundance of cylindrical tanks... plus, round gaskets are easier. So, I've never pursued that idea, although in theory it might work. But why four sides -- why not six or eight? But then, why not just use a cylinder?

Check out our latest creation -- an expanded version of the PC in this thread. This thing -- here's the link -- should fit no fewer than 251 quart jars, or about 110 half-gallon jars. I just finished making it 2 weeks ago, and am still generating spawn and haven't loaded it yet. I'll also try filter-patch bags. With this new cylinder, I have no need to try plate steel, although it's an interesting idea. In using cylinders the biggest worry in terms of strength is the thickness of the lid, as that's what starts bulging at high pressure (as well, you need enough bolts to hold it down). Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think. In photos, it looks small, but the volume is almost twice that of a 55-gallon drum. If I ever want a bigger autoclave, I'd move to using bigger propane tank, as they're built to hold over 100 PSI, and they're easy to find. I'll post an update (to the other thread)when I finally load and test the new machine.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates