Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Does the older generation like hip-hop?
    #11300993 - 10/22/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know. I know my mom and dad don't like hip-hop. Does the generation from the 60's/70's generally see hip-hop as crass and a decline in musical taste?

What about grunge? Indie?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11301025 - 10/22/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No new groups have been worth a shit since skynyrd's plane went down. Some of the older groups still put out some good music.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

#11301037 - 10/22/09 04:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My brother was born in 1970 and has a completely closed mind towards hip-hop.  Meanwhile, there's people born around the same time that make hip-hop music.

I personally think that people should be able to find at least something worthwhile in every musical genre, if they're trying to call themselves open-minded.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: Band of Gypsys]
    #11301043 - 10/22/09 04:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Band of Gypsys said:
No new groups have been worth a shit since skynyrd's plane went down. Some of the older groups still put out some good music.

Dude, what does skynyrd have to do with hip-hop? :lol:

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: Band of Gypsys]
    #11301101 - 10/22/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

There's lots of sick hip hop but you dont hear it on the radio. I love chester p the most though, very philosophical hip hop.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: truffleupagus]
    #11301113 - 10/22/09 05:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SilentGym said:
Quote:

Band of Gypsys said:

Dude, what does skynyrd have to do with hip-hop? :lol:

No new music since 1977 is worth a shit. Is their hip hop from before 1977? I don't think so.

I actually don't mind Ice cube. My brother listens to that.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #11301215 - 10/22/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
I don't know. I know my mom and dad don't like hip-hop. Does the generation from the 60's/70's generally see hip-hop as crass and a decline in musical taste?

Fuck hip-hop; I tell everyone who listens to that shit that they most likely will hate it when they're older<====EDIT

IMO, it's just a sheepie trend, like most other things in society. :sheepie:

Edited by Poid (10/22/09 05:30 PM)

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: Poid]
    #11301242 - 10/22/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:

Fuck hip-hop; I tell everyone who listens to that shit that they most likely will hate it when they're younger.

IMO, it's just a sheepie trend, like most other things in society. :sheepie:

Bollocks, any musical style that has feeling and creativity can be good.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #11301265 - 10/22/09 05:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Trendy music can be creative and elicit feeling in people. :shrug:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#11301282 - 10/22/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If it's creative original and has genuine feeling that came from the author, then IMO it's all personal taste after that. How can you say everything in a genre is rubbish?

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11301296 - 10/22/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
How can you say everything in a genre is rubbish?

How can you say that absolutely everything in whatever given drama is completely fantastic? :strokebeard:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#11301319 - 10/22/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Where did I say this?

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11301349 - 10/22/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Didn't say you said it, I'm just saying that the only thing that matters in terms of the quality of music is the actual quality of the music; music's im/popularity does not define its artistic merit.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Edited by Poid (10/22/09 05:50 PM)

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#11301375 - 10/22/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Totally agree but quality is not related to the type of music the artist is making, it's in the artists hands.

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11301418 - 10/22/09 05:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Totally agree but quality is not related to the type of music the artist is making..

Can you give an example to provide your assertion here?

I personally see that the quality of music is definitely related to the genre of music the artist is composing, however directly or indirectly.

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
it's in the artists hands.

Yup. :thumbup:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#11301458 - 10/22/09 06:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

There are plenty of very talented hip hop artists out ther who put out great quality music, it's just personal taste if you like their style or not. There are people out there who will dislike the style of music you listen to but that doesn't mean you listen to rubbish music.

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Loc: 3 Seconds Ago. Flag
    #11301473 - 10/22/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well the reality of the situation is - ugh i fucking hate this fucking way to communicating.

Okay, so whats realyl going on here is that fucking hiphop is so stupid now adays.

BTW parents dont like hiphop they usually listen to what they listened to when they were 20...kind of interesting...do you think we will stay mentally stuck by the time we reach late 20's? Maybe its when we begin to work...that would make sense.

--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #11301508 - 10/22/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
There are plenty of very talented hip hop artists out ther who put out great quality music, it's just personal taste if you like their style or not. There are people out there who will dislike the style of music you listen to but that doesn't mean you listen to rubbish music.

So just this is your point?

Quote:

AlphaFalfa said:
well the reality of the situation is - ugh i fucking hate this fucking way to communicating.

Okay, so whats realyl going on here is that fucking hiphop is so stupid now adays.

BTW parents dont like hiphop they usually listen to what they listened to when they were 20...kind of interesting...do you think we will stay mentally stuck by the time we reach late 20's? Maybe its when we begin to work...that would make sense.

I believe that good music never gets old. :sadyes:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
    #11301528 - 10/22/09 06:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Grapefruit said:
How can you say everything in a genre is rubbish?

How can you say that absolutely everything in whatever given drama is completely fantastic? :strokebeard:

Poid you're asking the exact same question.

Still, how can you say, which you did, that every single artist in the genre of hip-hop is "shit," as you so eloquently put it?
Quote:

Poid said:
Trendy music can be creative and elicit feeling in people. :shrug:

how is hip hop any more trendy than the next genre and how is it a "sheeple trend?"

--------------------

Edited by learningtofly (10/22/09 06:14 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: learningtofly]
    #11301602 - 10/22/09 06:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Poid you're asking the exact same question.

Which question am I asking more than once? :confused:

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Still, how can you say, which you did, that every single artist in the genre of hip-hop is "shit,"...

I didn't say the particular artist was "shit", I just said that their art (i.e.- hip-hop) is shit, in general. Let me expound further on this statement by saying that I believe that most, but not all hip-hop shit.

Quote:

learningtofly said:
how is hip hop any more trendy than the next genre...

It isn't, did you think I was implying this or something? :confused:

Quote:

learningtofly said:
...and how is it a "sheeple trend?"

:rofl2:, you can't be serious! :haha:

All trends are :sheepie: trends....

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

#11301651 - 10/22/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Which question am I asking more than once?

"How can you say that every thing in a genre is _______"

Quote:

I didn't say the particular artist was "shit", I just said that their art (i.e.- hip-hop) is shit, in general. Let me expound further on this statement by saying that I believe that most, but not all hip-hop shit.

Yeah you did, you said that hip-hop is shit and therefore the work that a hip-hop artist produces would be shit.

Also, why is hip hop "shit" in the first place?

Quote:

Quote:

all trends are sheeple trends

please tell me how a large group of people having a common interests makes them sheeple?

Is everyone on the shroomery sheeple because we use this website?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11301730 - 10/22/09 06:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

Wouldn't the term "existent" be appropriate? :confused:

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

Yeah you did, you said that hip-hop is shit and therefore the work that a hip-hop artist produces would be shit.

You are guilty of committing this logical fallacy here:
Quote:

Excluded Middle (False Dichotomy, Faulty Dilemma, Bifurcation)

Assuming there are only two alternatives when in fact there are more. For example, assuming Atheism is the only alternative to Fundamentalism, or being a traitor is the only alternative to being a loud patriot.

Quote:

learningtofly said:

That is just my personal opinion--you can't argue against opinions, and they can never be true or false.

Quote:

Quote:

please tell me how a large group of people having a common interests makes them sheeple?

That's my personal definition of sheeple; if all the individuals which belong to a certain groups all share common interest, they are sheeple because they are most likely not interested in other things that are not necessarily accepted by their groups, and are probably afraid of going against the grain of their particular group.

Quote:

learningtofly said:

To a certain extent, yes, but there are many levels of sheepishness. :sadyes:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

#11302293 - 10/22/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Oh man, you guys are funny.

Here you go, for anybody who cares.  I know you don't, Poid, so don't sweat it man. :lol:

http://www.ughh.com

Underground Hip Hop.com  There's plenty of good music to be found on there IMO.  But if "ughh" is the sound you make when you hear hip-hop, then I'd just leave it alone.

Ice Cube. :lol:  He had some decent songs but I sure as hell wouldn't pick him if I had to pick one hip-hop artist to listen to.

Common, Aesop Rock, El-P, Atmosphere, Eyedea & Abilities, Swollen Members.  All of these guys have some very thought provoking lyrics.

But if the only thing you're being exposed to is Flo Rida, then I can see why you think hip-hop sucks.

And you were actually right, I think, when you called it trendy Poid.  The media recognized that they could sell shit better by using hip-hop to their advantage.  And so the downfall began.

But I look for the non-trendy, wolfie hip-hop.

Fuck a :sheepie:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

#11302432 - 10/22/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

Wouldn't the term "existent" be appropriate? :confused:

No, you know what I mean. He said you can't say its all bad and you say "well how can you say it's all good?"

Quote:

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

You are guilty of committing this logical fallacy here:
Quote:

Excluded Middle (False Dichotomy, Faulty Dilemma, Bifurcation)

Assuming there are only two alternatives when in fact there are more. For example, assuming Atheism is the only alternative to Fundamentalism, or being a traitor is the only alternative to being a loud patriot.

How did I commit a logical fallacy there? You said that all hip-hop was shit and I was just extending what you said. In order for to commit a fallacy I would have to said "Well you either think its all shit or none of it is shit"

Nice try.

Quote:

Quote:

learningtofly said:

That is just my personal opinion--you can't argue against opinions, and they can never be true or false.

It doesn't mean that you don't have a reason for it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's my personal definition of sheeple; if all the individuals which belong to a certain groups all share common interest, they are sheeple because they are most likely not interested in other things that are not necessarily accepted by their groups, and are probably afraid of going against the grain of their particular group.

Personal definitions of words are pointless since language is a social phenomena. You are also making a ridiculous number of generalizations, so many in fact that I question what the point of that faux definition is. You, with your 'vast knowledge' of fallacies should know that assuming just because people share a common interest that they have no mind of their own. Sharing a common interest in no way implies that they share all the same interests or that they have no mind of their own.

Quote:

People who unquestioningly accept as true whatever their political leaders say or who adopt popular opinion as their own without scrutiny

How does having a certain preference in terms of musical taste fall into the category of "adopting popular opinion without scrutiny," either you like it or you don't.

Quote:

Quote:

learningtofly said:

To a certain extent, yes, but there are many levels of sheepishness. :sadyes:

i dont know where to start with this. By your definition, any group of people who share a common interest cannot think for themselves. :facepalm:

--------------------

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
    #11302495 - 10/22/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I'm talking about good hip-hop like Aesop Rock

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11303079 - 10/22/09 09:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

There is good music in every genre. Some genres have more crap than others, and that will all depend on your own brain.

Hip hop has been occuring for decades.. you can't really talk about 'hip hop' so genereally. except probably to say that old people don't like it.

Get with the times though.. .1977? pff.. a lot of music has been developed since then. Music nowadays is mostly based on stuff that arose in the 1980s

music evolves

--------------------

InvisibleAnarleaf
Teotihualto
 User Gallery

#11303157 - 10/22/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The ironic thing is  most rap samples jazz, blues, soul, gospel, etc. Genres typically favored by older folks.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: Anarleaf]
    #11303245 - 10/22/09 10:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Good point, I never really thought about that, but its true.

To that, I'm pretty sure that the prospect of an older generation liking hip-hop is the first sign of coming apocalypse.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? [Re: daytripper23]
    #11304127 - 10/23/09 01:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If there is an old person in the forest mixing hip hop and no one else is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #11304437 - 10/23/09 04:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:

I can't speak for others my age (old. I remember Eisenhower.  He was a president.), but I like it.  Recently my nephew turned me onto PTH.  I think they're great too.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Does the older generation like hip-hop? (moved) [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11305206 - 10/23/09 09:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This thread was moved from Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology.

Reason:
Off-topic.

OfflineNejinmy
Stranger

#11325691 - 10/26/09 04:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im 99 and i love lil wayne

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom