Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Loc: Illinois
University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza
    #11300894 - 10/22/09 06:29 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

The following is the reply of my fellow Immunology, Microbiology, & Virology professors' replies in regards to a very biased, misleading email, regarding the H1N1 flu and its vaccine. This is the word-for-word email reply that was sent to our M1 medical student class, after they found out that the misleading email was circulating. These people know what they are talking about, so I thought I would share it with all of you.

"An e-mail was sent out on the M1 social listserv yesterday regarding the H1N1 vaccine.  Unfortunately, this e-mail was indicative of the rumor and innuendo that has circulated regarding the vaccine. You, however, are being trained as a medical professional and should be dealing with only evidence-based medicine. Given that you are scheduled to be vaccinated tomorrow, we felt compelled to give our overall opinion.

Here are the facts as we see them. We are in the midst of a bona fide H1N1 influenza pandemic.  This is not hysteria, this is real.  This virus is different enough from the flu viruses that have been in circulation over the last 50 years that it is spreading through an immunologically naïve population.  One manifestation of this is the fact that the "flu season" has begun early and the number of cases in North America this fall already exceeds what we would normally see in the beginning of winter.  The CDC reported today that 1 in 5 U.S. children had flu-like illness earlier this month, likely H1N1, and 7 percent of surveyed adults had a flu-like illness in the past week. There has indeed been much concern at all levels regarding this flu pandemic. We are fortunate that the current H1N1 virus is not more severe and deadly. But, as you well know, flu viruses change rapidly, and the virulence of this virus could indeed increase as the flu season progresses.  But “severity” is relative and 43 children have died in this country since August 30. (See the attached FluView document from the CDC.) The majority of these were confirmed to be H1N1 cases.  This is most certainly an underestimate.  You should know that these individuals did not die from the flu virus per se but almost certainly had a secondary bacterial infection as a complication of their H1N1 infection.

A college campus is an excellent environment for the spread of infectious disease and there have been hundreds of cases of flu this semester at the U of I.  Your chances of getting H1N1 flu are significant. If you do get it, you will likely miss at least a week of class and you will feel miserable. Your chances of dying from this infection are small but not infinitesimal. 

The H1N1 flu vaccine is formulated identically to the seasonal flu vaccines that have been administered to millions of individuals over the last several decades. This new vaccine has been deemed safe by the CDC and has already been administered to thousands of individuals.  Data from initial vaccination trials have been published (see attached article in the NEJM). The medical students are first in line to receive the vaccine on this campus because you are considered part of the response team in case the pandemic becomes more severe.

No one can guarantee that an individual will not have some adverse reaction COINCIDENT with receiving any vaccine.  But epidemiological data tells us that for the flu vaccines serious adverse reactions are extremely rare; usually so rare that no causal relationship can be established.  In other words, the risk of infection FAR outweighs the risk of vaccination.  Of course other seasonal flu viruses are also serious and yearly flu vaccination is encouraged. 

Good scientists rarely make definitive statements. Thus, the language used by the CDC and Health and Human Services is often nuanced and, to the uninitiated, could be viewed as equivocal. In contrast, it is easy to state anecdotal information and misinterpreted science as fact and post it on the Internet. Unfortunately, seemingly reputable news agencies also look for the sensational; good scientific data is often boring.  But as a health care professional, good science must be your guide.  I have also included a great article by Paul Offit on the data supporting the safety of the current vaccines administered to our children and I encourage you to read it.

I will close by saying that when the H1N1 vaccine becomes more available, the only people that I am letting get in front of me in line are my wife and children.  We encourage you to take advantage of the vaccine tomorrow."

Jim Slauch (Microbiologist / Immunologist)

Co-signed:

Nora Few (Dean)
Jim Hall (Dean)
Janet Jokela (Professor)
Joanna Shisler (Virologist / Immunologist)
Richard Tapping (Immunologist)
Dixie Whitt (Microbiologist / Immunologist)

P.S. - Here is a very good, unbiased, informational link from one of the leading health-care clinics in the nation, the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, regarding H1N1 and vaccinationhttp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swine-flu-vaccine/MY00816

Take care,

-Abe

--------------------
Abrahm
Spreading Psytrance & Love in the Midwest USA

Expand Your Consciousness. :mushroomgrow:

:peace: 9/11 Challenge: Explain the Evidence http://pookzta.blogspot.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: PookztA]
    #11304515 - 10/23/09 08:00 AM (8 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

The H1N1 flu vaccine is formulated identically to the seasonal flu vaccines that have been administered to millions of individuals over the last several decades.

Stretching the truth a bit.  If the formulation was identical, then the vaccine would be worthless as it wouldn't include the H1N1 components.  Manufacturers have also been allowed to include adjuvants to help spread the limited stock of H1N1 further.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: Seuss]
    #11306768 - 10/23/09 04:53 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

the only non-identical portion is the actual viral particles. the rest is identical.

by the way, i got my H1N1 vaccine at 11am today.

again, the only reason i got it is because i am in the healthcare field. for those of you who have healthy immune systems and do not work in the healthcare field, i see no need for it.

just my 2 cents :smile:

--------------------
Abrahm

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: PookztA]
    #11307501 - 10/23/09 07:01 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

> the only non-identical portion is the actual viral particles. the rest is identical.

Not true.  They have added adjuvants to stretch the thin supply that was available.  Mercury content was also different, though I don't believe that is a real worry.  Still, to claim that 'the rest is identical' is inaccurate.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
    #11307912 - 10/23/09 08:20 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

If you really want to have some fun, troll on over to godlikeproductions and try to explain this to them.

They're convinced that the H1N1 vaccine will turn you into a gay liberal, and your head will fall off.

--------------------

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: Seuss]
    #11307966 - 10/23/09 08:30 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> the only non-identical portion is the actual viral particles. the rest is identical.

Not true.  They have added adjuvants to stretch the thin supply that was available.  Mercury content was also different, though I don't believe that is a real worry.  Still, to claim that 'the rest is identical' is inaccurate.

They have a vaccine here that does not have any adjuvant added to it. They are using this for pregnant women and, I think, for small children. In this case, it is nearly identical to the standard flu vaccine, with the only difference being the viral particles it carries.

If you want to get down to it, and it appears you do, no two years' vaccine is exactly the same - they almost always have a different virus to immunize against :wink:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: trendal]
    #11307979 - 10/23/09 08:33 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

For the record...my gf is getting the vaccine as soon as she can, due to her being pregnant. I may get the vaccine, if the pandemic gets really bad. I'm not in a high risk group, however, and think I will take my chances.

--------------------

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: trendal]
    #11308410 - 10/23/09 09:54 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

ya good call,

unless you work in a hospital, are pregnant, or are immune-compromised, you don't really need the vaccine in my opinion.

as for Thermisol (ethyl-mercury) preservative, it is ONLY found in the multi-dose injection vaccines, to preserve them to make sure they can be used. the single dose injections and the nasal vaccines do not have the Thermisol component in it.

see the Mayo Clinic link in my original post for info on that if you wish.

when i got the vaccine today, i made sure that it was a single-dose injection vaccine, as i do not want to have any mercury in my body, regardless of its form or how small the quantities are for. unnecessary risk in my opinion when alls u gotta do is make sure you are getting a single-dose vaccine to avoid the Thermisol :smile:

hope this info helps!

--------------------
Abrahm

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

#11319079 - 10/25/09 05:04 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i got my vaccine Friday at 11am and i have had absolutely no adverse side effects, not even arm pain :smile:

just saying, don't buy into all the fear and false information out there, use scientific data and real scientific research to make your decisions!

H1N1 is weak, so hopefully it does not mutate.

hoping for the best! take care everyone, hope this info helped ya out.

-Abe

--------------------
Abrahm

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11327182 - 10/26/09 09:55 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Good scientists rarely make definitive statements. Thus, the language used by the CDC and Health and Human Services is often nuanced and, to the uninitiated, could be viewed as equivocal. In contrast, it is easy to state anecdotal information and misinterpreted science as fact and post it on the Internet. Unfortunately, seemingly reputable news agencies also look for the sensational; good scientific data is often boring.  But as a health care professional, good science must be your guide.

:thumbup:

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #11333526 - 10/27/09 08:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

PookztA said:
ya good call,

unless you work in a hospital, are pregnant, or are immune-compromised, you don't really need the vaccine in my opinion.

as for Thermisol (ethyl-mercury) preservative, it is ONLY found in the multi-dose injection vaccines, to preserve them to make sure they can be used. the single dose injections and the nasal vaccines do not have the Thermisol component in it.

see the Mayo Clinic link in my original post for info on that if you wish.

when i got the vaccine today, i made sure that it was a single-dose injection vaccine, as i do not want to have any mercury in my body, regardless of its form or how small the quantities are for. unnecessary risk in my opinion when alls u gotta do is make sure you are getting a single-dose vaccine to avoid the Thermisol :smile:

hope this info helps!

the preservative is in the multidose VIALS of the medication, the one they suck the vaccine into the syringe for the single injection vaccination, the only way to avoid getting the thimerosal is to get the nasal sniff , and if you do, and happened to have a weak immune system, it actually can get you sick, as it contains live (although weakened) virus, or the singly packed syringes, which are use VERY rarely to vaccinate people.  Some companies will pre load a bunch of syringes from the vials with the dose in order to make the process of vaccinating many people quicker, so just because the shot was prefilled does not necessarily mean that its a pre-filled from factory syringe.

Regardless, even the single dose medication/vaccine, if taken from a multidose vial, will have the preservative.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/thimerosal_qa.htm

peace

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: supra]
    #11352956 - 10/30/09 06:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

cool thanks for the link

--------------------
Abrahm

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#11385718 - 11/04/09 06:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Me and my girl just got our H1N1 vaccinations. I got the "regular" vaccine with the adjuvant added to it, while my gf got the special only-for-pregnant-women vaccine that didn't have any adjuvant added.

After doing some more reading about what exactly makes up the adjuvant, I am not concerned about it at all.

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #11387042 - 11/04/09 09:48 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I got H1N1 and that shit was hella weak.

My fever got up to 104.2F but I do that all the time. :smirk:

--------------------

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #11394120 - 11/05/09 11:04 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:

cool good to know! how long did the flu last?

--------------------
Abrahm

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #11398887 - 11/06/09 04:46 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I got sick for a week with mild symptoms, runny nose, congestion, lung butter, head ache, sore throat. I seemed to be getting better for a few days, then it really hit me and I got body aches, high fever, more congestion, and a sore throat. The second wave only lasted 3 or 4 days.

--------------------

OfflinePookztA
Medical Student

Re: University of Illinois Medical Immunologists on H1N1 Influenza [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #11406205 - 11/07/09 06:45 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

cool thanks for the info and for answering. i am glad you are back to good health now!

--------------------
Abrahm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology