Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Aldous Huxley, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineurteno
Stranger
Schizo.
    #1129961 - 12/10/02 08:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Guys. i need some help quick. my friend has been on a couple of trips with me (not too high, about 3g each). half a year later, now, she has what she calls schizophrenia. she has many of the symptoms, adn what she has is getting steadily worse. i have been reading about psilocybin and its positive effect on mental disorders. could this be her key out? please reply with experiences or facts you have gleaned. thanks a lot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ...
Re: Schizo. [Re: urteno]
    #1130037 - 12/10/02 09:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Actually,
I do believe psychedelics tend to have adverse affects on mental disorders such as schizophrenia, and it has been said that these substances can bring out such disorders in people who are predisposed to them, usually through hereditary means.
But I may be wrong.  :smile: 

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Offlinetripping365
    #1130043 - 12/10/02 09:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

my advice would be to go see a psychiatrist before tripping again

Anonymous

#1130044 - 12/10/02 09:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's a crap shoot. If I were her, I'd dose on shrooms as a last ditch effort to fix my head before I go on medication... but that's me and she might be more conservative.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Schizo. [Re: Anonymous]
    #1130083 - 12/10/02 09:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Many times, hallucinogens used by people w/ mental disorders can actually help, but they can also make it much worse. I'm not reccomending anything but to stop taking hallucinogens.

Offlineinsanelane
When I touch mypeepee it getsbig
Re: Schizo. [Re: TinMan]
    #1130245 - 12/10/02 10:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

my mom was a psychiatric nurse for many years before she decided she wanted to stay home and start her own business. Maybe tommorrow I'll ask her about it. She told me once she knew someone that they did government lsd experiments on. I'll ask her about that. She did tell me a story though, that when she was a kid(my age) her friend took a 10 strip of lsd for the first time, and stayed at her house. She was acting crazy and wanted to jump out the window. I wonder if my mom took a strip too and never told me.............

OfflineAcursedRedDragon
Legacy ofBrutality
Loc: Opium Den
Re: Schizo. [Re: insanelane]
    #1130504 - 12/10/02 11:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like your mom works for the DARE program :wink:... 

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#1130619 - 12/11/02 12:08 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"my friend has been on a couple of trips with me (not too high, about 3g each). half a year later, now, she has what she calls schizophrenia. she has many of the symptoms, adn what she has is getting steadily worse"

What are these "symptoms". Do you think the mushrooms changed her?

"i have been reading about psilocybin and its positive effect on mental disorders. could this be her key out?"

Hey, there's an idea.....but what if the she's not ready for it? Are mushrooms what mixed her up in the first place?

I wouldn't reccomend a psychiatrist. She's likely not in trouble and if she does go to one they are gonna be itchin to prescribe her something wether she's really crazy or not. And if she was, what can some meds do for her, other than put her in a cloud where she won't cause trouble.

Do you think the trips she's taken has caused her to think she's "schizo"? If so, she's more than likely just weirded out from them. She may not have adjusted to her new perspective. Also, if she's tripping while other intense things are going on in her life that could intensify the weirdness.

But if she's really insane and eventually loses the ability to function in society, then i don't know what to tell you. Go out and live in the woods or something.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1131149 - 12/11/02 07:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

a study on mushrooms & OCD does not mean tripping is a cure-all for any mental illness...
the canadian doctor who turned aldous huxley on to mescaline, and did a project in the 50s on treating alcoholics with LSD. found that many schizophrenics seem to improve when they are given fairly large doses of vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional factors (especially vitamin B-3 (niacin, niacinamide, and related derivatives of nicotinic acid) --- at one point it was called "the niacin therapy")
if you do a google search for "vitamin b-3 and schizophrenia book" you will find links to some reviews, etc...
a more wide-ranging search using terms like: megavitamin therapy, orthomolecular nutrition, dr abram hoffer, hoffer-osmund diagnostic, niacin and schizophrenia, nutrition and mental illness, etc... will give you other links to related stuff...
the APA seems to have some sort of grudge against dr hoffer, and not every MD will agree with his findings, but it is most definitely worth checking out... i strongly suspect that there is a great deal more that "mere placebo effect" going on here...
dr hoffer has written several books on coping with mental illness... shucks, even the public library has a few of them... and so does my local health food store... go figure, hehheh...
good luck to you and your friend...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (12/11/02 07:32 AM)

Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
    #1132765 - 12/11/02 03:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Psilocybin can help schizophrenics a great deal. The only thing is, your friend would have to be supervised by an experienced therapist. There are plenty of therapists/clinicians experienced in psychedelic psychotherapy, but they can't exactly advertise since it's illegal. And by experienced I mean like a PhD not like you've read a book or two and think you understand what's going on. If you're on the West Coast have her look up "holotropic breathwork." Stan Grof was one of the national leaders in LSD therapy (pretty close to psilocybin) when they outawed it in 1970, so he came up with a type of breath exercise he called Holotrpic Breathwork which he claims produces the exact same things as LSD in the therapeutic environment. Breathing, like drugs, can be extremely bad for you if you don't have an experienced, trained individual with you. Check out maps.org for some good info/links to psilocybin therapy.

On a more positive note, I think the best thing you can do for your friend is read some books by R. D. Laing, such as The Politics of Experience and The Self and Others. Laing is the best person you can go for for help hanging out with schizophrenics.

I wish you the best of luck with your friend. The most important thing to remember is that schizophrenia does not have to a chronic, life-long illness.
-m

Related books
Grof, Stanislav. LSD Psychotherapy
Naranjo, Claudio. The healing journey: new approaches to consciousness.

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
Re: Schizo. [Re: Viveka]
    #1132779 - 12/11/02 03:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just wanted to agree that medication is neither the only nor the best answer. For example, read this and this.

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
Re: Schizo. [Re: machineelf368]
    #1132891 - 12/11/02 04:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

a type of breath exercise he called Holotrpic Breathwork which he claims produces the exact same things as LSD in the therapeutic environment.

I'm not outright denying the validity of this, but to me it "smells" like bullshit.  If I could reproduce the effects of LSD by changing my breathing rate I would certainly never be bored.  Nor would I take the risk of obtaining/possessing LSD.  It  may be true, but I highly doubt it.

Free no hassle trips everybody....lol :grin:

ps: Unless you are implying that this "breathing exercise" is a front for administering LSD to people in a psychotherapeutic manner.

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

Edited by 3eyedgod (12/11/02 04:24 PM)

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Schizo. [Re: machineelf368]
    #1134150 - 12/12/02 05:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

& thomas szasz: _the myth of mental illness_ (et.seq.)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Schizo. [Re: 3eyedgod]
    #1134201 - 12/12/02 05:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not outright denying the validity of this, but to me it "smells" like bullshit

I think you're right 3eyed, Stans wife had a problem with drugs and basically banned him from using drugs which is why they turned to holotropic breathwork.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinegrowin
addict
    #1134724 - 12/12/02 08:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

man, psychedelics can be used to help mentral disorders only in a controled enviourmant. not every one that has a mental disorder and trip out will cure, most likely it will harshen the condition and add confusion to her life.

a friend of mine never drank in his life. he took some lsd for as his 1st drug.
the man fliped out and got crazy for a couple of weeks, skyzo like symptoms. hallucinations of deamons coming outa his throught telling him what to do. a girl he had a realtionship with dumped him shortly after and he had his deamons talking about her and about digging a giant hole and writing a one word book. he spent a couple of weeks digging a hole and after that building a wall.
he was in a realy BAD state and was considering hospitializing himself in a mental insitute. i told him that he should wait alittle since he was going to enroll in 2 months. after a while it calmed down and now he's with us again.

i saw too many people get fucked by psychdelics getting themselves to somthing their not ready too. people start beliving in GOD changing their whole way of life. people also just get skizo like effects but in less intensity than with my frind going completly wack.
most of them digest what they saw\felt and continue with their life somtime. some after weeks some after years.

if the condition is harsh, and she's actually hearing voices and hallucinationg in general i would recomand u go to a psychetric (now!)
if she's just wierd, not decisive, gigelling from nothing that other poeple can see maybe it'll pass.
i dont belive doctors can help alot in these kind of situations. its important that people in this condition wont go too far in their innerworld planning some master plan. they need to know whats real and whats not otherwise it can get too far and u cant know what'l happen...

how is she now?

a growin original

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Aldous Huxley, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience