Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Incubator wet the bed.
    #11297901 - 10/22/09 07:03 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So here is a ridiculous n00b story for you:

-Beautiful start to a 'by the book' pf
-noc'd up a dozen jars, meticulously clean work in a GB
-put them in a TiT incubator with an aquarium heater with a thermostat set to 76 degrees. (room temp is in the mid to high 60s)
-set tub on a blanket to keep it thermally insulated and to block out light.
-put in a nice digital cooking thermometer with submersible probe into bath just to be sure
-covered up everything with the blanket
-bath stayed right at 76-77 all day and late into the night.

tick tock tick tock
Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzz
tick tock tick tock

Woke up in the morning to find that:
1)The outer tub had drained 75% of its water, soaking the blanket (pissing the bed) and soaking my floor.
2)The "sumbersible" thermometer had failed (probably due to water) and was reading 175 degrees. (Thank GOD that was a faulty reading - remaining water was at room temprature.
3)Water had drained below the heater body and I'm pretty sure the heater burned itself out, but not certain about that yet.

There is no evidence that the incubator actually got hot, but I won't know for weeks because I'm only at day 2 of incubation!!!!

FUCK.
ME.

:humpme:

What do you think, am I hosed?

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,500 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: gornyhuy]
    #11297906 - 10/22/09 07:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

PS: Why the hell would a brand new tub from KMart leak like that?  It didn't seem to be leaking during the day, but the blanket must have been absorbing it.

*facepalm*

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
    #11297912 - 10/22/09 07:08 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thats weird....did the Aquarium heater not come with little suction cups to hold it  in place  at the bottom?

You didnt drill a hole through the tub  below the water line for the power cable did you?

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX Flag
    #11297927 - 10/22/09 07:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm sure everything is fine, it sounds like it didn't even get that hot inside. High temperatures are bad, but people used to think that 86 degree's was optimal, and had incubators pumping at 86, making the insides of the jars in the 90's, and they still got results.

If you want to re-evaluate your setup, you can do that, but I'd skip the incubator altogether. They grow slower in cool temps but there's been plenty of observations here that colonizing and fruiting in colder temps (mid-high 60's) creates more potent fruits, you can do a search on it.

--------------------
AMU

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #11297932 - 10/22/09 07:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You don't need an incubator. That shit's for noobs :smile:

Just let your jars colonize on a shelf somewhere. It's what the pros do :wink:

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: freespeech]
    #11297946 - 10/22/09 07:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"They grow slower in cool temps but there's been plenty of observations here that colonizing and fruiting in colder temps (mid-high 60's) creates more potent fruits, you can do a search on it."

I have done a  search but cant find any proof on this....could you  direct me to a thread?

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX Flag
Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: Zed]
    #11297975 - 10/22/09 07:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry, I did a search on it just now and can't find threads I remember reading. In any case, here's a thread that got me searching around about a month ago
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10987374#10987374

At the time I found a few threads where RR and some other old hands were talking about it, but I can't find them now... Guess I'll retract my statement for lack of evidence.

--------------------
AMU

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: Zed]
    #11298010 - 10/22/09 07:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Zed said:
Thats weird....did the Aquarium heater not come with little suction cups to hold it  in place  at the bottom?

You didnt drill a hole through the tub  below the water line for the power cable did you?

its a nice heater, it came with 2 suction cups, which I used to stick it to the bottom.  It didn't move at all, it stayed perfectly in place as the water slowly drained below it.  It never touched the plastic or anything else other than water.

Nope - I ran the cord over the lip of the tub under the lid, no holes at all.

Its bizarre.  All I can figure is the 4 little 'feet' of the tub are not water tight.  Maybe they are intended to allow air exchange or something.

--------------------

InvisibleInternetvirus
Male

Loc: *#!!#*
Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: Randomstickynote]
    #11298014 - 10/22/09 07:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

T in T is a great way to maintain your temps, if you have a unstable room temperature like myself. Very hot during the day, freezing at nights :thumbup:

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: Randomstickynote]
    #11298015 - 10/22/09 07:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Randomstickynote said:
I'm sure everything is fine, it sounds like it didn't even get that hot inside. High temperatures are bad, but people used to think that 86 degree's was optimal, and had incubators pumping at 86, making the insides of the jars in the 90's, and they still got results.

If you want to re-evaluate your setup, you can do that, but I'd skip the incubator altogether.

Quote:

You don't need an incubator. That shit's for noobs :smile:

Just let your jars colonize on a shelf somewhere. It's what the pros do

Thanks for the reassurance guys.  I've moved everything to a book shelf in a black trash bag to keep out light.

--------------------

InvisibleInternetvirus
Male

Loc: *#!!#*
    #11298022 - 10/22/09 07:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

so you must've just woke up to the mess!  :gethigh::thumbdown:

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: Internetvirus]
    #11298025 - 10/22/09 07:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Internetvirus said:
T in T is a great way to maintain your temps, if you have a unstable room temperature like myself. Very hot during the day, freezing at nights :thumbup:

Thats how I felt last night!!!  Optimal conditions all the time regardless of the weather.

If I go back to that I guess I just need to go seal up all possible leak sources with silicon sealer and test for leaks first. (In a friggin bath tub!!!!!!!)

--------------------

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: Internetvirus]
    #11298029 - 10/22/09 07:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yep, just a little while ago.  It was that sinking feeling you get when you discover something bad and unexpected when you are still waking up.

BUT - there is really no evidence to suggest a high heat situation, the remaining water was cool, and the heater had somehow shut itself off. (Probably burned itself out.)

Guess I'll know in a week or two.

--------------------

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#11298053 - 10/22/09 07:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

take the jars out of the trashbag. that info is old news as well.
they dont need to be in the dark. and you are just suffocating them by having them in a bag.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: prismism]
    #11298080 - 10/22/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
take the jars out of the trashbag. that info is old news as well.
they dont need to be in the dark. and you are just suffocating them by having them in a bag.

Shit, really!!?!  I thought at least that was reliable.  Isn't light a pinning trigger?

While we are on the subject, I thought I was supposed to allow CO2 buildup until they are well on the way to full colonization (50 to 80%), and THEN let them breath a bit.  Right now my injection holes are still taped over.

What is the latest concensus on light and air during colonization?

--------------------

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#11298120 - 10/22/09 08:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im not making this shit up.
you dont need tape on your jar holes. unless it is micropore tape.
gas exchange is required during colonization. not to be confused with fresh air exchange.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: prismism]
    #11298316 - 10/22/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
im not making this shit up.
you dont need tape on your jar holes. unless it is micropore tape.
gas exchange is required during colonization. not to be confused with fresh air exchange.

Okay, thanks for the corrections - I'm gonna untape and unbag and just put 'em on a closet shelf at room temp.  :mushroom2::sun:

--------------------

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

#11298326 - 10/22/09 09:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What about the FC, when I get there... should that just float at room temperature too? 

I wish I could easily tell what is out of date information on here.  I thought I had this shit down and now I'm all uncertain again.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11298406 - 10/22/09 09:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gornyhuy said:

Thanks for the reassurance guys.  I've moved everything to a book shelf in a black trash bag to keep out light.

Normal ambient room light has no effect on colonizing mycelium, incorrect information previously published to the contrary.  Cooler temps at night are not a problem.  If you're comfortable in your house in a t-shirt, your mycelium will colonize just fine on an open shelf.  If it gets 'really cold' at night, simply run a small space heater in the room.  'Incubators' are for hatching chicken eggs, not mycelium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubator wet the bed. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11298445 - 10/22/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks RR...!
I think I've got it squared away now (unless I screwed the pooch with last night's issues, or contaminated everything in the process of moving it all around and messing with it)

Nothing to do but wait and see now.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix