Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Cheap Growin Chamber
    #1129645 - 12/10/02 06:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

1 stryofoam box free from pet store kind they ship reptiles and fish in. just walk in an ask if they have any big stryofoam boxes.

1 heat pad.........9.99 Kmart

perlite had on hand

casing

Clean out the box really good put in your wet perlite .... then put in your tub then the heat pad on the side cover with plastic.

adjust the temp fan 3 to 5 times a day here a picture of one I put together quick I ran out of room on my shelf so I made one quick.

it 78 inside the tub and 82 around the tub and the humidity is at 95 to 100% I have used this for about a month now and I'm on my second flush of PR with it.

you can make a better lid for it if you want but this works good too.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTriptopinkFloyd
No Hassles orBad Attitudes

Loc: nowhere I want to be
Re: Cheap Growin Chamber [Re: ]
    #1129651 - 12/10/02 06:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Could you gice me some specifics on that heat pad. I'm building my set up now and that sounds like a deal. thanks

--------------------
I do not partake in illegal acts of any kind, what i say is in pure interest for the science of mycology.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1129661 - 12/10/02 06:42 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to:

it 78 inside the tub and 82 around the tub

It should be lower.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Anonymous

Re: Cheap Growin Chamber [Re: Skikid16]
    #1130478 - 12/10/02 11:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

during the day is around that temp when I check but it's in my closet that faces the NW corner of my house and that 99% of the way the wind hit us here.so it goes from 70 to 78 all day long mostly 75 the temp inside my closet is 66 so it working ok why fuck up a good thing? LOL 90% of my pinning is at 76 to 80 shit my TC didn't even pin till I got them up to 78 - 80 for two days then bam pinning every where.

for the box get the biggest one they have the best are the ones they ship saltwater fish in they are couple inches thick they will not crack or break if you have to lift them when they're full of casing. The heat pad is just a plan jane heat pad with 3 setting on it. depending on where you live is how you'll set the temp on the heat pad here in North it's cold as hell now so I have it on high or medium. I made a incubator the same way cuz I'm finishing my shroom room here a pic of my cheap ass incubator too same setup as the growing chamber.

if you want the best incubator I have maded I can tell you! it stay the same temp very easy to make.I'll write it all up and add some photos of it.

Offlineshroomologist
Loc: SouthEastern US
    #1130623 - 12/11/02 12:09 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thats cool!

Its a little weird. I was gonna post the SAME THING!

i went to the pet store to get crickets for my frog today, and they just got a shipment of fish in. Lots for the holidays.

well, they had like 6 boxes. I asked if i could have a couple, they almost BEGGED me to take them! So i picked two up, and left the rest.

They have a great seal, you can stack them easily, and if you keep them IN the box, you can hide them easily. Its not so suspicious.

Anonymous

Re: Cheap Growin Chamber [Re: shroomologist]
    #1130773 - 12/11/02 01:03 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hell it's cheap and it work fine.

Here is what I was using

I used to breed corn snakes it would keep the temp to a half a degree at all times.

But now I used my old frig to make this one

it will hold a ton

total cost to make both is around 30 to 60 dollars each.

getting the frig is easy just go down to the local dealer and ask if they have any old frigs or college dorm room one they would part with every time I have went down and asked they say take them because your saving them money so they will love you for it.

take everything out of it then put in your heat source and test it out I'll post more later on it.

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ...
    #1130782 - 12/11/02 01:07 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Your one lucky mofo,
You seem to have the means for one extremely wicked setup. :grin:
Good Luck   

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Edited by TeKn0 (12/11/02 01:07 AM)

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: Cheap Growin Chamber [Re: TeKn0]
    #1130836 - 12/11/02 01:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't understand why people use styrofoam terrariums. I understand they are cheap, and insulate well, but shit they always break. Have you ever bought one for a trip and ended up using it multiple times, I haven't. The fucker breaks. Go for a terrarium made of plastic. A nice rubbermaid or sterlite. They are cheap too.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Anonymous

Re: Cheap Growin Chamber [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #1131226 - 12/11/02 09:12 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have around 200 rubbermaid tubs fro when i had snakes now most collect dust. If you buy them cheap foam boxes at the piggy wiggy they break before you even take them out of the store. But I'm telling you down to the pet store and get some of theres they are thicker and don't break because each box has around 30 to 60 pounds of water inside when shipping fish.

here what you do with your old freezer or frig.

The first thing I do is remove everything that provides the cooling for the freezer. This step is not required, but it will significantly reduce the weight of the incubator.

The newer models for instance do not have the coils on the back. Regardless though, basically all you need is the box and the shelves inside, everything else can be removed

The first thing to do is to get the Freon out of the system. Venting Freon into the atmosphere is illegal today so you might consider having the Freon removed by a certified professional. This freezer was drained prior to the cutting of the line.
Realistically though, I know most of you will just cut the line yourself and bleed it off, and for this reason I will include some safety precautions. Should you choose to do this, be extremely careful! Close and shield your eyes as you cut the line. The Freon is under pressure and can cause injury. Should the Freon spray in your eyes it will freeze them and blind you. It's a good idea to wear gloves as well. Stand to the side of the unit and reach around to cut the line.
Normally you will not be able to remove everything without cutting the line at some point, so it's best to have the system drained of Freon so potential accidents are avoided should you break a line unexpectedly.
Once the line is cut just step away and allow the gas to escape, this could take several minutes.

Next I went to the bottom and removed the motor and coils from underneath. Just clip the wires as needed. You may also have to cut the copper tubing again to remove some parts. The system should be drained at this point, but exercise the same caution when cutting any of the copper tubing.

Now it's time to add the heater and thermostat. I find flex watt heat tape to work very well for this purpose. Other heat sources could be used, including ceramic heaters or even light bulbs. Flex watt however, is both cheaper and more reliable.
First, drill a hole in the back large enough to get the wire for the heat tape through. The freezer walls consist of an inner and outer wall of metal with insulation in between. This insulation can make it very difficult to pass the wire through, so I use a piece of a coat hanger. Put the hanger through the hole and tape the electrical cord to it, then use the heavy wire to pull the other through.
You will also need to drill an additional hole where ever you wish for the thermometer probe and the probe for the thermostat if you choose to use that type.
I initially chose to use two feet of 11" flex watt, which is what you see in the pictures. However after testing it I found that this was not enough, as it only raised the temperature to 77-78. I needed the incubator as quickly as possible, and I had another two foot section already wired and not in use so I laid it inside as well.
I will rewire the incubator to use a permanent three or four foot piece. The amount of heat tape required will depend on the size of the freezer, so you'll just have to test it to see.
If very tight accuracy is needed I'd suggest going with a helix proportional thermostat. they run about 120.00

A cheaper alternative would be a wafer thermostat as is used in Hovabators. I have seen these used, but haven't used them myself. I'm not entirely convinced of their reliability.
Once you get everything hooked up, you will need to calibrate it to the desired temperature. This process will take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days, but it is very important.
Altogether this incubator cost around $40 to assemble. Of that total $30 was for the thermostat.
If you had to purchase everything needed, including the digital thermometer used to monitor the temperature, expect to pay about $60 for the finished unit.
This is about twice the price of a hovabator, with about 20 times the capacity. A very good alternative to the incubator question for those needing a fair amount of space.

I forgot to add you can get a couple computer fan that will run off 120v so you don't need alot of wiring skill or even make a false wall to stop hot spots.
That's it you just made a huge incubator

Edited by Anonymous (12/11/02 09:31 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation