Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Absolute Java/HTML basics..
    #11285483 - 10/20/09 04:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am attempting too get into building websites, but i cant really get a grasp on what all this shit is. I understand that html is a language that that browsers read, and the concept of the coding, but I dont get how the browser reads or what program(s) are used too build webpages.

As far as Java/javascript... no clue. There is so many tutorials and such, but all of them are for intermediate folks.

I f anyone can give me a brief rundown of the process/history of either or, or which is used for what as well as the order of html/xml/sgml/xhtml etc....not sure what is and/or is used or if they are all used yadi yadi ya.

Im sure you all can see where I stand in this mess, any info would help as long as it pretains too web page programming.

Thanks for your time.

--------------------
American by Nature....  unamerican by Law :mafioso:

"Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Absolute Java/HTML basics.. [Re: Bugzy]
    #11285946 - 10/20/09 05:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well first off, you don't need Java for designing creating web pages, only if you want to make web applications.  What you need is JavaScript, which is TOTALLY separate from Java, though the name would not make it seem so.

First off, just learn HTML and CSS, that will help you to make simple basic web pages.  When you want to do more interactive stuff, then start looking at javascript/perl, and if you need to create a database or store data, PHP/mySQL is good.

But as an absolute beginner, HTML and CSS are your first steps.

peace

Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Absolute Java/HTML basics.. [Re: Bugzy]
    #11286837 - 10/20/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Bugzy said:
but I dont get how the browser reads or what program(s) are used too build webpages.

when you start out with html and css, those markup and style files are translated and drawn by the browser directly.

perl, php, etc code runs on the server and can dynamically generate html every time a page is served, plus do database operations and many other things.

javascript code runs in the client's browser and provides any kind of presentation programming that can't be done on the server.

as for programs, get a text editor with syntax highlighting (notepad++ for instance).

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Absolute Java/HTML basics.. [Re: moeshroom]
    #11294527 - 10/21/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You really don't need any special program to make a web page.  If you're on Windows just use notepad, or like sherms suggested notepad++ to make it more easy.

I learned html before css was big and I can still code a good basic web page without css, but css provides cross browser page consistency and you can also have user defined "styles" for your pages (like the shroomery) using css.  I recently dived into css and its strikingly similar to html but I havent really done much with it.  I don't really have any need for an actual website other than the learning experience it provides so I don't really plan see myself doing much.

Also just to let you know you can code css is notepad or any text editor too, same with most coding. 

As far as learning resources check out w3 schools, they write the book on the internet.  I mean most website have a link to w3 in the doctype.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order