Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

Loc: Franklin's Tower
World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns
    #11292847 - 10/21/09 05:19 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/21/un.heroin.trade/index.html

Quote:

Afghan heroin kills more people from NATO countries every year than Afghan insurgents have killed in the eight years since the fall of the Taliban regime, the United Nations said Wednesday.

About 15 million people around the world use heroin, opium or morphine, fueling a $65 billion market, warned Antonio Maria Costa, head of the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime.

The trade is fueling terrorism and insurgencies: The Taliban raised between $450 million and $600 million in the past four years by "taxing" opium farmers and traffickers, he says in a new report.

Not all the money is going into the pockets of rebels or full-time drug dealers -- some Afghan officials are making money off the trade as well.

"The Afghan drug economy generates several hundred million dollars per year into evil hands -- some with black turbans, some with white collars," Costa says.

And the problem is spreading.

Drug money is now funding insurgencies in Central Asia, which has huge energy reserves, Costa says.

"The Silk Route, turned into a heroin route, is carving out a path of death and violence through one of the world's most strategic, yet volatile regions," he says.

Authorities are seizing too little heroin -- intercepting only about 20 percent of opiate traffic around the world, according to the U.N. report, titled "Addiction, Crime and Insurgency." It comes on the heels of a U.N. warning last month that two years' worth of opium is effectively "missing," probably stockpiled by the Taliban and criminal gangs.

More than 12,000 tons of opium -- which can be consumed as a narcotic itself or turned into heroin -- is unaccounted for, the United Nations estimated in September.

It is not clear who has it or why, but the United Nations speculates criminals could be holding it as a hedge against falling prices, or that insurgents or terrorists could be stockpiling it to fund future attacks.

The latest report claims to be the first systematic attempt to track where Afghan opium ends up.

Europe and Russia together consume just under half of the heroin coming out of Afghanistan, the United Nations concludes, while Iran is by far the single largest consumer of Afghan opium.  See how Afghan heroin reaches Europe and the West »

Afghanistan is also probably supplying an increasing share of the heroin in China -- perhaps as much as a quarter, the report says.

Afghanistan is by far the world's largest producer of opium, although Laos, Myanmar (also known as Burma) and Latin America produce small quantities of the narcotic, it says.

The United Nations found that Afghanistan may be supplying more heroin to the United States and Canada than had previously been suspected.

The two North American countries consume more than twice as much heroin as Latin America produces. That means either that more Afghan heroin is making its way to North America than had been known, or that Mexico and Colombia are producing more than was realized, the United Nations says.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: dwtk]
    #11293012 - 10/21/09 05:41 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

They say they intercept 20% of opium around the world. Bull-fuckin'-shit. How come they only get 5-10% of everything else but heroin they get 2-4x more than any other drugs. And there still saying it's too little. I don't even know what to say. It's all so rediculous. Don't they understand no matter how much they knock out somebody will always be ready to grow or make whatever to replenish the supply, there will always be somebody in the runner up spot, and always ready to make money. I'm tired of making sense, I gotta get with the program and start just saying no, oh yeah I forgot, that doesn't work.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

OfflineDutch-Master2890
Stranger

Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: Dr.Myco87]
    #11293795 - 10/21/09 07:36 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

what about all the people dying from the legal opiates they make it seem like its strictly terrorists killing us

OfflineSatival
Stranger

Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: Dutch-Master2890]
    #11294169 - 10/21/09 08:25 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Great to see that we're winning the war on drugs -not.

Gee ya think you guys might reconsider legalization/regulation. Almost all overdoses could be avoided if they were packaged like regular medicine, and if the war in afghanistan is so fucking important and drug overdoses kill more than that even... then....wtf??? You no longer have any grounds or excuse to keep making this blundering mistake. Come on UN, listen to the experts on this. Regulation is the way to go.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: Satival]
    #11294303 - 10/21/09 08:42 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Let me take my drug safely and cheaply and I will not bother anyone.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineLegalize
Metalhead
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: TODAY]
    #11295776 - 10/21/09 11:38 PM (8 years, 29 days ago)

I got it! The world just has to simultaneously quit opiates.

--------------------

Opiate free since 8/26/10 :thumbup:

Opiate free since 6/22/11 :thumbup: :sun: :thumbup:

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: Legalize]
    #11296504 - 10/22/09 01:08 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

This is good news.  I don't want my heroin quality going down or price going up.

Quote:

TODAY said:
Let me take my drug safely and cheaply and I will not bother anyone.

Srsly.  I just wanna do drugs and be left alone.

Quote:

Legalize said:
I got it! The world just has to simultaneously quit opiates.

This is a possibility.  All you need is a large stockpile of nuclear arms.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinekev_p2k
Eco
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: Satival]
    #11296880 - 10/22/09 01:58 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Regulation is the way to go, but when certain people in certain offices decide that they know whats best for the world what can you do......... I'm sure that was the way nature intended humans to live, after all who needs free will.

--------------------
" You can never have enough of what you don't need!"

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #11298442 - 10/22/09 11:38 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

I know if I was an Afghani man I'd sure as hell be a drug addict...

What else do they have to do or look forward to?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
    #11300406 - 10/22/09 05:18 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

dwtk said:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/21/un.heroin.trade/index.html

Quote:

Afghan heroin kills more people from NATO countries every year than Afghan insurgents have killed in the eight years since the fall of the Taliban regime, the United Nations said Wednesday.

YOU SEE THAT GUYS?!?!?/ THE HEROIN KILLS PEOPLE!! IT LITERALLY GOES OUT, SEEKS OUT PEOPLE, INCLUDING INNOCENT BABIES.  AND JUST FUCKING KILLS THEM!!!! IT'S PURE EVIEL!hr%u209TG

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: World failing to dent heroin trade, U.N. warns [Re: Society]
    #11300948 - 10/22/09 06:36 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

They never say exactly how many people it kills, because the number isn't really that large.  It is dwarfed by car accidents or heart disease.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service