Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Aldous Huxley

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy in terms of Free Will
    #11292182 - 10/21/09 03:35 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

I'm just going to post certain quotes Huxley included in Chapter X titled "Grace and Free Will" made by "Saints":

Quote:

The Valley Spirit never dies.
It is called the Mysterious Female.
And the doorway of the Mysterious Female
Is the base from which Heaven and Earth spring.
It is there within us all the time.
Draw upon it as you will, it never runs dry

- Lao Tzu

Quote:

Take note of this fundamental truth. Everything that works in nature and creature, except sin, is in the working of God in nature and creature. The creature has nothing else in its power but the free use of its own will, and its free will hath no other power but that of concurring with, or resisting, the working of God in nature. The creature with its free will can bring nothing into being, nor make any alteration in the working of nature; it can only change its own state or place in the working of nature, and so feel or find something in its state that it did not feel or find before.

- William Law

Quote:

All our goodness is a loan; God is the owner. God works and his work is God.

- St. John of the Cross

Quote:

Perpetual inspiration is as necessary to the life of goodness, holiness as perpetual respiration is necessary to animal life.

- William Law

Quote:

It is when the Great Way declined that human kindness and morality arose.

- Lao Tzu 

Quote:

Lord, Thou has given me my being of such a nature that it can continually make itself more able to receive thy grace and goodness. And this power, which I have of three, wherein I have a living image of thine almighty power, is free will. By this I can either enlarge or restrict my capacity for Thy grace.

- Nicholas of Cusa

Quote:

Shun asked Ch'eng, saying, "Can anyone get Tao so as to have it for oneself?"
  "Your very body," replied Ch'eng, "is not your own. How should Tao be? 
  "If my body," said Shun, "is not my own, pray whose is it?"
  "It is the delegated image of God" replied Ch'eng. "Your life is not your own. It is the delegated harmony of God. Your individuality is not your own. It is the delegated adaptability of God. Your posterity is not your own. It is the delegated exuviae of God. You move, but know not how. You are at rest, but know not why. You taste, but know not the cause. These are the operations of God's laws. How then should you get Tao so as to have it for your own?

- Chang Tzu

Quote:

It is within my power to either serve God, or not to serve Him. Serving Him I add to my own good and the good of the whole world. Not serving Him, I forfeit my own good an ddeprive the world of that good, which was in my power to create.

-Leo Tolstoy

Quote:

God did not deprive thee of the operation of his love, but though didst deprive Him of thy Cooperation never have rejected thee, if thou had st not rejected his love. O all-good God, though dost not forsake unless forsaken, though never takest away thy gifts until we take away our hearts.

- St. Francois de Sales

Quote:

Ch'ing, the chief carpenter, was carving wood into a stand for musical instruments. When finished, the work appeared to those who saw it as though of supernatural execution; and the Prince of Lu asked him, saying, "What mystery is there in your art?"
  "No mystery, Your Highness," replied Ch'ing. "And yet there is something. When I am about to make such a stand, I guard against my diminution of my vital power. I first reduce  my mind to absolute quiescence. Three days in this condition, and I became oblivious of any award to be gained. Seven days, and I become unconscious of my four limbs and my physical frame. Then, with no thought of the Court present in my mind, my skill becomes concentrated, and all disturbing elements from without are gone. I enter some mountain forest, I search for a suitable tree. It contains the form required, which is afterwords elaborated. I see the stand in my mind's eye, and then set to work. Beyond that there is nothing. I bring my own native capacity into relation with that of the wood. What was suspected to be of supernatural execution in my work was due solely to this.

- Chuang Tzu

Quote:

Inspirations prevent us, and even before they are thought of make themselves felt; but after we have felt them it is ours either to consent to them, so as to second and follow their attractions, or else to dissent and repulse them. They make themselves felt without us, but they do not make us consent without us.

- St. Francois de Sales

Quote:

Our free will can hinder the course of inspiration, and when the favourable gale of God's grace swells the sails of our soul, it is in our power to refuse consent and thereby hinder the effect of the wind's favour; but when our spirit sails along and makes its voyage prosperously, it is not we who make the gale of inspiration blow for us, nor we who make the gale of inspiration blow for us, nor we who make our sails swell with it, nor we who give motion to the ship of our heart; but we simply receive the gale, consent to its motion and let our ship sail under it, not hindering it by our resistence.

- St. Francois de Sales

Quote:

Grace is necessary to salvation, free will equally so--but grace in order to give salvation, free will in order to receive it. Therefore we should not attribute part of the god work to grace and part to free will; it is performed in its entirety by the common and inseparable action (of?) both; entirely by grace, entirely by free will, but springing from the first in the second.

- St. Bernard

Quote:

Two students from the University of Paris came to visit Ruysbroeck and asked him to furnish them with a short phrase or motto, which might serve them as a rule of life. Vos estis tam sancti sicut vultis, Ruysbroeck answered. "You are as holy as you will be."

God is bound to act, to pour Himself into thee as soon as He shall find thee ready.

- Eckhart

Quote:

That the will is that which has all power; it makes heaven and it makes hell; for there is no hell but where the will of the creature is turned from God, nor any heaven but where the will of the creature worketh with God.

- William Law

Quote:

O man, consider thyself! Here though standest in the earnest perpetual strife of good and evil; all nature is continually at work to bring forth the great redemption; the whole creation is travailing in pain and laborious working to be delivered us from the vanity of time; and wilt thou be asleep? Everything though hearest or seest says nothing, shows nothing to thee but what either eternal light or eternal darkness has brought forth; for as day and night divide the whole of our time, so heaven and hell divide all our thoughts, words, and actions. Stir which way thou wilt, do or design what thou wilt, thou must be an agent with the one or the other. Though canst not stand still, because thou livest in the perpetual workings of temporal, and eternal nature; if thou workest not with the good, the evil that is in nature carries thee along with it. Thou hast the height and depth of eternity in the and therefore, be doing what thou wilt, either in the closet, the field, the shop or the church, thou art sowing that which grows must be reaped in eternity.

- William Law

Quote:

God expects but one thing of you, and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far  as you are a created being and let God be God in you.

- Eckhart

All these are the quotes of other people (i.e.- "Saints") that he mentioned in this chapter, but I would love to introduce his personal take on any specific one of them later on if people decide to post in this thread. :sun:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Re: Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy in terms of Free Will [Re: Poid]
    #11294072 - 10/21/09 08:12 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

whats his take on

That the will is that which has all power; it makes heaven and it makes hell; for there is no hell but where the will of the creature is turned from God, nor any heaven but where the will of the creature worketh with God.

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy in terms of Free Will [Re: flangenips]
    #11311533 - 10/24/09 01:58 PM (8 years, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

flangenips said:
whats his take on

On what now? :confused:

Quote:

flangenips said:

Neither of these quotes are Huxley's; if you want Huxley's take on any of the specific quotes presented herein, please say so so I can provide it for you. I own the book, so it isn't a problem for me to do this.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11315408 - 10/25/09 12:44 AM (8 years, 11 hours ago)

Yes it is a quote you posted... :facepalm:

Quote:

Quote:

- William Law

Quote:

All these are the quotes of other people (i.e.- "Saints") that he mentioned in this chapter, but I would love to introduce his personal take on any specific one of them later on if people decide to post in this thread.

read your own post again. What is his personal take on this.

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #11315733 - 10/25/09 01:45 AM (8 years, 10 hours ago)

Creation of life.

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11318839 - 10/25/09 04:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

flangenips said:
What is his personal take on this.

Which specific quote that I posted do you want Huxley's take on? :confused:

Quote:

Quote:

- William Law

Is it this one?

Quote:

MAIA said:
Creation of life.

:niggawhat:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11319368 - 10/25/09 05:54 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

flangenips said:
What is his personal take on this.

Which specific quote that I posted do you want Huxley's take on? :confused:

Quote:

Quote:

- William Law

Is it this one?

Yes its that one!!!:facepalm:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11319385 - 10/25/09 05:58 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

No need to facepalm, my Clonazepam is messin' with my head...:braindamage:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11319388 - 10/25/09 05:59 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I give up man....
Dude read your own post, find the quote i'm querying, its there... otherwise my head is going to have compound fractures from facepalming. :sexysmile:

--------------------

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11319395 - 10/25/09 06:01 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:

haha, shit, how much they got you on?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11319406 - 10/25/09 06:03 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

flangenips said:
I give up man....
Dude read your own post, find the quote i'm querying, its there... otherwise my head is going to have compound fractures from facepalming. :sexysmile:

I'll give you Huxley's take on that specific quote tomorrow, I just don't have the time right now...:sorry:

Quote:

flangenips said:
Quote:

Poid said:

haha, shit, how much they got you on?

Quote:

TAKE ONE TABLET  BY MOUTH TWICE DAILY

:lol:, I follow my own rules...:stonedjerk:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11334224 - 10/27/09 09:49 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

- William Law

Basically, this was the third to last quote Huxley entered into this chapter, so he didn't provide an opinion on this specific quote like he did so with many of the other quotes. This particular quote is a few paragraphs short of the end of the chapter, so I will just quote the final paragraph of said chapter; hopefully, this will be the answer you're seeking:

Quote:

For those who take pleasure in theological speculations based upon scriptural texts and dogmatic postulates, these are the thousands of pages of Catholic and Protestant controversy upon grace, works of Ramanuja and those later Vaishnavites, whose doctrine of grace bears a striking resemblance to that of Luther; there are histories of Buddhism which duly trace the development of that religion from the Hinayanist doctrine that salvation is the fruit of strenuous self-help to the Mahayanist doctrine that it cannot be achieved without the grace of the Primordial Buddha, whose inner consciousness and "great compassionate heart" constitute the eternal Suchness of things. For the rest of us, the foregoing quotations from writers within the Christian and early Taoist tradition provide, it seems to me, an adequate account of the observable facts of grace and inspiration and their relation to the observable facts of free will.

Keep in mind that this book was copyrighted in, and I quote, "1944, 1945". Also, and I quote, "No part of this book may be reproduced...except in the case of brief quotations...". So me quoting this book is legal. :smirk:

Edited by Poid (11/01/09 09:04 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11364657 - 11/01/09 09:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Was this response satisfying enough, or what? :confused:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11366188 - 11/02/09 12:51 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

an interesting response.

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11366642 - 11/02/09 02:59 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

good quotes :thumbup:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy in terms of Free Will [Re: Life Upon Death]
    #11368231 - 11/02/09 12:45 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

What a great discussion, you guys! :congrats:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleConservationist
Stranger
    #11368605 - 11/02/09 01:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I like that summation.

Modern people like to assume that individuals have will, and are not agents of a greater will, but when you think about it, everything in us came from something before us.

Assumptions are evil:

Quote:

Growing up in the West in its decadent phase, we find many false truths floating around us — and these have their root in bad psychological pathologies that others have, which manifest themselves in unhealthy lifestyles justified by false mental concepts. The Right Hand Path

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy in terms of Free Will [Re: Conservationist]
    #11368806 - 11/02/09 02:20 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Conservationist said:
Modern people like to assume that individuals have will, and are not agents of a greater will...

How do you know this?

Quote:

Conservationist said:
....but when you think about it, everything in us came from something before us.

So what does this prove?

Quote:

Conservationist said:
Assumptions are evil:

Why do you say this? :confused:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy in terms of Free Will [Re: Conservationist]
    #11368847 - 11/02/09 02:28 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Modern people like to assume that individuals have will, and are not agents of a greater will, but when you think about it, everything in us came from something before us.

Assumptions are evil:

You seem to be assuming a great deal in your above post. I have never ever ever seen evidence that we are agents of a greater will. I do however see much evidence that we are agents of a process.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11454094 - 11/14/09 04:05 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
I'm just going to post certain quotes Huxley included in Chapter X titled "Grace and Free Will" made by "Saints":

Quote:

The Valley Spirit never dies.
It is called the Mysterious Female.
And the doorway of the Mysterious Female
Is the base from which Heaven and Earth spring.
It is there within us all the time.
Draw upon it as you will, it never runs dry

- Lao Tzu

Quote:

Take note of this fundamental truth. Everything that works in nature and creature, except sin, is in the working of God in nature and creature. The creature has nothing else in its power but the free use of its own will, and its free will hath no other power but that of concurring with, or resisting, the working of God in nature. The creature with its free will can bring nothing into being, nor make any alteration in the working of nature; it can only change its own state or place in the working of nature, and so feel or find something in its state that it did not feel or find before.

- William Law

Quote:

All our goodness is a loan; God is the owner. God works and his work is God.

- St. John of the Cross

Quote:

Perpetual inspiration is as necessary to the life of goodness, holiness as perpetual respiration is necessary to animal life.

- William Law

Quote:

It is when the Great Way declined that human kindness and morality arose.

- Lao Tzu 

Quote:

Lord, Thou has given me my being of such a nature that it can continually make itself more able to receive thy grace and goodness. And this power, which I have of three, wherein I have a living image of thine almighty power, is free will. By this I can either enlarge or restrict my capacity for Thy grace.

- Nicholas of Cusa

Quote:

Shun asked Ch'eng, saying, "Can anyone get Tao so as to have it for oneself?"
  "Your very body," replied Ch'eng, "is not your own. How should Tao be? 
  "If my body," said Shun, "is not my own, pray whose is it?"
  "It is the delegated image of God" replied Ch'eng. "Your life is not your own. It is the delegated harmony of God. Your individuality is not your own. It is the delegated adaptability of God. Your posterity is not your own. It is the delegated exuviae of God. You move, but know not how. You are at rest, but know not why. You taste, but know not the cause. These are the operations of God's laws. How then should you get Tao so as to have it for your own?

- Chang Tzu

Quote:

It is within my power to either serve God, or not to serve Him. Serving Him I add to my own good and the good of the whole world. Not serving Him, I forfeit my own good an ddeprive the world of that good, which was in my power to create.

-Leo Tolstoy

Quote:

God did not deprive thee of the operation of his love, but though didst deprive Him of thy Cooperation never have rejected thee, if thou had st not rejected his love. O all-good God, though dost not forsake unless forsaken, though never takest away thy gifts until we take away our hearts.

- St. Francois de Sales

Quote:

Ch'ing, the chief carpenter, was carving wood into a stand for musical instruments. When finished, the work appeared to those who saw it as though of supernatural execution; and the Prince of Lu asked him, saying, "What mystery is there in your art?"
  "No mystery, Your Highness," replied Ch'ing. "And yet there is something. When I am about to make such a stand, I guard against my diminution of my vital power. I first reduce  my mind to absolute quiescence. Three days in this condition, and I became oblivious of any award to be gained. Seven days, and I become unconscious of my four limbs and my physical frame. Then, with no thought of the Court present in my mind, my skill becomes concentrated, and all disturbing elements from without are gone. I enter some mountain forest, I search for a suitable tree. It contains the form required, which is afterwords elaborated. I see the stand in my mind's eye, and then set to work. Beyond that there is nothing. I bring my own native capacity into relation with that of the wood. What was suspected to be of supernatural execution in my work was due solely to this.

- Chuang Tzu

Quote:

Inspirations prevent us, and even before they are thought of make themselves felt; but after we have felt them it is ours either to consent to them, so as to second and follow their attractions, or else to dissent and repulse them. They make themselves felt without us, but they do not make us consent without us.

- St. Francois de Sales

Quote:

Our free will can hinder the course of inspiration, and when the favourable gale of God's grace swells the sails of our soul, it is in our power to refuse consent and thereby hinder the effect of the wind's favour; but when our spirit sails along and makes its voyage prosperously, it is not we who make the gale of inspiration blow for us, nor we who make the gale of inspiration blow for us, nor we who make our sails swell with it, nor we who give motion to the ship of our heart; but we simply receive the gale, consent to its motion and let our ship sail under it, not hindering it by our resistence.

- St. Francois de Sales

Quote:

Grace is necessary to salvation, free will equally so--but grace in order to give salvation, free will in order to receive it. Therefore we should not attribute part of the god work to grace and part to free will; it is performed in its entirety by the common and inseparable action (of?) both; entirely by grace, entirely by free will, but springing from the first in the second.

- St. Bernard

Quote:

Two students from the University of Paris came to visit Ruysbroeck and asked him to furnish them with a short phrase or motto, which might serve them as a rule of life. Vos estis tam sancti sicut vultis, Ruysbroeck answered. "You are as holy as you will be."

God is bound to act, to pour Himself into thee as soon as He shall find thee ready.

- Eckhart

Quote:

- William Law

Quote:

O man, consider thyself! Here though standest in the earnest perpetual strife of good and evil; all nature is continually at work to bring forth the great redemption; the whole creation is travailing in pain and laborious working to be delivered us from the vanity of time; and wilt thou be asleep? Everything though hearest or seest says nothing, shows nothing to thee but what either eternal light or eternal darkness has brought forth; for as day and night divide the whole of our time, so heaven and hell divide all our thoughts, words, and actions. Stir which way thou wilt, do or design what thou wilt, thou must be an agent with the one or the other. Though canst not stand still, because thou livest in the perpetual workings of temporal, and eternal nature; if thou workest not with the good, the evil that is in nature carries thee along with it. Thou hast the height and depth of eternity in the and therefore, be doing what thou wilt, either in the closet, the field, the shop or the church, thou art sowing that which grows must be reaped in eternity.

- William Law

Quote:

God expects but one thing of you, and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far  as you are a created being and let God be God in you.

- Eckhart

All these are the quotes of other people (i.e.- "Saints") that he mentioned in this chapter, but I would love to introduce his personal take on any specific one of them later on if people decide to post in this thread. :sun:

Bump! :awedrugs:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Aldous Huxley

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology