Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSplat
Deviant
Loc: Santa Cruz CA
Point of pleasure... When does the Psylo come in?
    #1129159 - 12/10/02 04:02 PM (14 years, 2 hours ago)

At this point I almost feel guilty adding another thread... but after a significant search I have found a variety of contradictory posts reguarding the point at which mycilliun contains psylocybin.

My question is ... well most basically... Is there an ounce of truth to 'grow 5000 hits in a small room every week'? From what I have found there seems to be bassically unanimous claims that there is little or no psylocybin in mycillium, and the majority of people seem to claim that there is no worth while psylocin content.

If this is true, why is the article available on shroomery? Is there any truth to it? Is there any point in attempting an extraction on already fruited substrate, or in growing substrate purely for extraction?

I realize this topic has been addressed to some degree, but I feel it needs more concrete closure.
:cool: 

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
You know what I always say....anything worth doing.... mmm....is worth overdoing!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Point of pleasure... When does the Psylo come in? [Re: Splat]
    #1130031 - 12/10/02 09:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I believe the author of that never tested it its all theory.

I have done cranberry + vitamic c extraction on 4 pf cakes about a week after colonization. I had very very mild results.

Ive dont an extraction on pf spent casing substrate that was about a pint of substrate and a medium intense expierence.

Mycellium prior to pinning is very low in goodies.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Edited by baraka (12/10/02 09:09 PM)

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #1130149 - 12/10/02 09:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You must be referring to THE PSILOCYBIN PRODUCERS GUIDE How to produce 5000 doses of organic psilocybin
in a small room every week. by Adam Gottlieb

I have done a lot of research on secondary metabolism trying to find a way to increase the amount of psilocybin and psilocin in mushrooms. Unfortunately I have not come up with a definite solution just a couple of theories/ideas. But regarding your question here is a excerpt from a book:

"Secondary Metabolism

This general term covers a wide range of metabolic processes that have little in common, except that they are most active when normal growth is restricted. In other words, the intermediates of the primary metabolic pathways are not used for growth but are 'shunted' or diverted into a range of unusual pathways. At one time secondary metabolism was called 'shunt metabolism'.

Three main characteristics of secondary metabolites:
1 Their production is extremely specific, often being confined to one species or only certain strains of a species.
2 In general, they have no obvious role in the lives of the producer organisms.
3 They are produced by cells that have stopped growing or whose growth is restricted. That is, they occur in early stationary phase in batch culture or during exponential phase in continuous culture provided that the specific growth rate is considerably less than umax." Introduction to Modern Mycology by J.W. Deacon

The important point in the excerpts is that secondary metabolites are produced when growth is resrticted or has stopped. This occures when all of the available sugars (or some other nutrient) are used up by the mycellium.

There are two reasons why poeple probibly do not get good results from liquid mycellium:

1 They do not wait until all of the sugar has been used up, which means psilocybin and other secondary metabolites have not yet been produced. The guide says:"The process of growth can be followed with a saccharimeter. The maximum growth and highest percentage of psilocybin occurs about four days after all of the broth's sugar content has been used up. The mycelium should be harvested at this time. Any jars that cannot be harvested on that day should be refrigerated until this can be done. "

2 They do not add 100 mg of potassium phosphate dibasic which I have not looked up yet but probibly is a important nutrient that needs to be added to the Malt Extract Agar. My opinion: it is used to suppliment the solution with phosphorus in a utilizable form.

Adam Gottlieb the author of the guide sounds like he knew what he was doing....

Check him out on the web.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Edited by Humidity (12/10/02 10:25 PM)

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: Point of pleasure... When does the Psylo come in? [Re: Humidity]
    #1130199 - 12/10/02 10:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know where you can find a saccharimeter, but a Sugar/Brix Refractometer could probibly be used to determine the sugar levels in your solution. Many places sell them. You can get a decent one from Technika  for $95.  I think that Refractometers have replaced the saccharimeter or are a more common name for them. They are also available at quality homebrew stores, they are used in wine making.

The Chemistry Store sells Potassium Phosphate, Dibasic. There are probibly other places that sell it too mabey even cheaper, but that is the first place I found on the net. $20 for five pounds that will last you a lifetime.

Potassium Phosphate, Dibasic might also prove to be a good additve to subsrates.  :ooo:

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Edited by Humidity (12/10/02 10:20 PM)

OfflineSplat
Deviant
Loc: Santa Cruz CA
Re: Point of pleasure... When does the Psylo come in? [Re: Humidity]
    #1135605 - 12/12/02 02:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm...

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense, he should have elaborated more on that part of the process.

Is there anyone who has ACTUALLY done this with good results? I am always a fan of theory, but good solid results are always that much more encouraging.

So what does that mean about the extraction of cakes post fruiting. Is all of the psylocybin used up in the fruitbody creation? Seems like most have poor results with this.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
You know what I always say....anything worth doing.... mmm....is worth overdoing!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1135785 - 12/12/02 03:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

>Is there anyone who has ACTUALLY done this with good results?

Yes, I?ve done the The Foolproof Psilocybe Cubensis Mycelial Culture Technique
http://www.shroomery.org/dbtest/test/the/anno6/par/7998

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1136258 - 12/12/02 06:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This guy talked a good talk, who knows if he walked the good walk he claimed to. He was a 22 hit wonder, and nearly all of his posts were on this subject:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=514231&Forum=Forum4&Words=Enhanced%20Psilocybin%20Production&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=514231&Search=true#Post514231
I never had luck with mycelial extractions. On the other hand I think age of culture has a lot to do with this. Either for simple effects of age of culture, depletion of available nutritents or possibly some other cause. But I can say I've seen a drastic variation in the potency of mycelia in various stages of life.
My opinion is why extract, you can harvest pounds of fruit from a few boxes using hippies teks, a few square feet using bulk cult. methods. why bother with all the scientist crap? I'm a mycologist and a shaman, not a chemist.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology