Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Gypsum vs. Lime
    #1128560 - 12/10/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Was about to make an order from a homebrew site and saw that they had gypsum. Don't have TMC handy here at work but do remember gypsum being mentioned. Maybe added in grain jars or into the casing (for peat?)? Definitely for pH control. Anyway, seems like lime would be a reasonable substitute and Lowe's sells "pulverized lime" in a 50lb bag for $1.27. That makes the lime about 50X cheaper! So, will this pulverized lime do the same trick? I'm mostly concerned with subtle differences such as "use X grams of lime in place of Y grams of gypsum" and also whether or not gypsum will still have an immediate effect on pH without that leeching that lime has where the pH will continue to drop over time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Gypsum vs. Lime [Re: debianlinux]
    #1128597 - 12/10/02 11:18 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Gypsum = calcium sulfate
Lime = calcium hydroxide
As far as I know, gypsum has no effect on pH. I's only use in cultivation is to add a bit to grains to stop them sticking, but never to alter the pH of casing material.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gypsum vs. Lime [Re: zeta]
    #1128665 - 12/10/02 11:33 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

calcium carbonate 5/8 tsp per gallon before fermentation to lower acity approx. 15%.i just bought some yesterday this is what on the bottle it says.$1.20 i spent on 2 oz . by my rough estamation it should do 550 quart jars of rye. that should last kramer quiet a long time.if the recipe calls for x use x, if you can.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Gypsum vs. Lime [Re: george castanza]
    #1128783 - 12/10/02 12:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Funny post Georgie boy.  :mad:
But if I'm not mistaken, which is surely possible, hydrated lime is added to casing mixtures to slightly increase acidity to prevent contaminations. Gypsum is used in grain and millet to decrease stickiness and promote shakeability.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Edited by Fred Garvin (12/10/02 12:08 PM)

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Gypsum vs. Lime [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1128961 - 12/10/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

hydrated lime is added to *decrease* acidity = increase alkalinity = increase pH, right?

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1128982 - 12/10/02 01:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The Ph scale goes from 1 to 14. 7 is 'neutral'. 1 is superacidic- think batteryacid.

If you have a '1'(acid) and you add some thing alkaline(limestone- say it's an '8')- you end up with sort of an average of the two. 1 + 8 =9. 9/2=4.5 , so you would end up witha Ph of 4.5. ( this is horribllyoversimplified,but itshould give you the idea). Picture ii like a timeline-starts at 0 and goes to 14.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1129004 - 12/10/02 01:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

don't make me he-man bitch smack you.  :blush: calcium carbonate is used to lower acidity in home brewing what do you think they sell it for? to stop the grain from clumping?shakeability?yes shakeability thats what i got mine for :grin: 

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Re: Gypsum vs. Lime [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1129009 - 12/10/02 01:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys, I was thinking one way and typing another. It's been an ass-backwards day today!!

At least I was 50% correct. Great odds eh? :cool:

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Re: Gypsum vs. Lime [Re: george castanza]
    #1129019 - 12/10/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

wtf?

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1129132 - 12/10/02 01:54 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

all the ass-backwardsness has confused me a bit. here is my understanding, clarify if wrong: gypsum = neutral = anticoagulant or whatever for grain. lime = pH control = buffers towards akalinity. Don't use lime, (why not?) use calcium carbonate.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1129140 - 12/10/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

an apology on my incorrect statement about pH dropping in my original post. my brain is wired wrong and I consider moving from acid to base a downward movement (see bases are usually at the BOTTOM of things). It actaully would raise the pH. thanks for the correction.

OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
    #1129359 - 12/10/02 03:05 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

pH Control ingredients: Oyster shells & Gypsum (pH buffers). Limestone (pH riser)
? (Oyster shells: Ground oyster shells are used as an additive in a casing. They give the casing a better structure and buffer the pH.)
? (Gypsum: Calcium sulfate, CaSO4. A greyish powder used in spawn making. It prevents the clumping of the grain kernels and acts as a pH-buffer.)
? (Limestone: Calcium Carbonate - CaCO3. A white powder. Used to rise the pH of a casing.)

Gypsum is known as "plaster of paris" in craft stores.
Osyter shells are reportedly available at garden centers, not to my luck.
I haven't yet been able to find a source of lime. Would horticultural lime work? We use it to opaque the roof's of our greenhouse.

--------------------
peace and love!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale