Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

Black Mycelium species.
    #11291287 - 10/21/09 01:13 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I seemed to find a mushroom with black mycelium. I got this big mushroom (garden route area South Africa.) and made an LC out of it, knocked up some PF cakes, and chucked the rest of the LC on the grass. (It grew on grass btw.)
3 days later (today) I see some growth, but, it's black. Nothing else, just black, and straight over the inoculation points.
Now, I'd like a list of species with black myc, so that I can identify it if I get it to fruit through some miracle. (Haven't even grown cubies yet, still waiting for spores.) If not, at least I'd be able to narrow it down, and make LC's out of myc till I get enough skill to fruit it/it becomes to weak to use/I find a new specimen next time it rains.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: The Centre]
    #11291368 - 10/21/09 01:29 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like a contaminate.

Making an LC from a wild print isn't the best way to go. You should start on agar.

Got a description of the mushroom?

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #11291387 - 10/21/09 01:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Wait the LC myc was black to?! if it was white and now you have black growth its a contamination... sorry dude.

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #11291435 - 10/21/09 01:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:
Sounds like a contaminate.

Making an LC from a wild print isn't the best way to go. You should start on agar.

Got a description of the mushroom?

Wasn't a print, it was a peace of fruit from the very middle of the stem to make sure it's clean.

I tried typing a description on the previous post but gave up, it doesn't give you anything destinctive, all I know is it's big, shiney grey, and grows on grass.

Plus I don't know the colour of the LC myc, the syringe I made it in (I made it straight into a 100ml syringe.) was stained permanently with ink so I wouldn't know if the LC was white, pink, or psychedelic purple. The syringe was for an ink refill for an printer. I thought, heck, a 100ml syringe, who gives a damn if I can't see inside of it! This thing can knock up up to 100 jars!

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

#11291459 - 10/21/09 01:48 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Lol man.
A picture would help in this case, you know how we say - Pics or it never happened :P

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
    #11291525 - 10/21/09 01:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The Centre said:
Plus I don't know the colour of the LC myc, the syringe I made it in (I made it straight into a 100ml syringe.) was stained permanently with ink so I wouldn't know if the LC was white, pink, or psychedelic purple. The syringe was for an ink refill for an printer. I thought, heck, a 100ml syringe, who gives a damn if I can't see inside of it! This thing can knock up up to 100 jars!

How did you sterilize the ink syringe?

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: dstark]
    #11291532 - 10/21/09 01:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like you have a major ink stain, lol

You should try again but this time first go to agar and see if you can get some normal mycelium

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: dstark]
    #11296801 - 10/22/09 01:45 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:
Quote:

The Centre said:

How did you sterilize the ink syringe?

Chucked it empty into the pot where I sterilised the jars, and then once I could hold it, I sucked boiling water into it multiple times. The last one I kept in, and sucked up a little honey (The needle looks like something straight from hell, no clogging.) and cut off a clean peace of fruiting body, and transferred it into the syringe in a glovebox after I rubbed the glove box down with the strongest disinfectant I could find, and sprayed oust into it.

I still couldn't get the ink layer off after 40 mins of boiling...
Quote:

dstark said:
Lol man.
A picture would help in this case, you know how we say - Pics or it never happened :P

Didn't have a camera on me, and only took a stem for the LC... I'll take pics if it fruits... Or if I find some mushrooms in my garden...

I've never worked with Agar or anything like that, it was just supposed to be a practise run for when I some day finally manage to get a cubie print... Either that or my friends stuff finally working.

I'd have to get back to this specie when I have a little more experienced...

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11302420 - 10/22/09 10:22 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Making an LC from the stem? That MIGHT work but definitely doesn't start growth on BRF in 3 days.
Did the LC syringe sit for a while to let the species grow with the honey?
From the sounds of it you got a contam from a not-very-sterile process
Good try though. Keep on safely experimenting! :wink:

2 links:

1. One of Paul Stamet's book cites one honey mushroom that has black rhizmorphoc growth. (Armillaria Mellea) but they grow from wood
http://books.google.com/books?id=y1fnacRg1AYC&pg=PA107&lpg=PA107&dq=black+mycelium&source=bl&ots=VOEP-W4psP&sig=HEnQ_kuopVlbwsTuCk8H_TOZiOg&hl=en&ei=lBHhSse5NcL_8AbPpoWiDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=black%20mycelium&f=false

2.This is an entry about that mushroom
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/armillaria_mellea.html

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11302924 - 10/22/09 11:33 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

oh and check this out...don't feel like reaerching it more right now but apparently this "steely gray" colored mushroom (Entoloma abortivium) grow near honey mushrooms (Armillaria mellea) and tur to white blobs when attacked by the honey mushroom.
I don't know if Entoloma abortvium has black myeclium but I saw a a possible connection so I proposed it

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Black Mycelium species. [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11304138 - 10/23/09 04:00 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It doesn't.

Quote:

Few mushrooms produce black mycelium.  Some Morel strains cause the malt extract medium to blacken, especially where the petri dish is viewed from underneath.  The parasitic Honey mushroom, Armilllaria mellea, forms uniquely black rhizomorphs.  A pan-tropical Oyster mushroom, called Pleurotus cystidiosus, and its close relatives P. abalonis and P. smithii, have white mycelia that become speckled with black drops.

Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology