Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Ranch Dressing, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Helping The Amazon Mycorenewal Project with Halloween.....[CA]
    #11290065 - 10/21/09 04:58 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

10/21/09 - Ukiah Daily Journal

Time to get out the platform go-go boots and practice the dance moves. The place to be Halloween night is the Saturday Afternoon Clubhouse on Oak Street in downtown Ukiah. A benefit Halloween Harvest Ball, sponsored by the Cloud Forest Institute, will feature two bands catering to the young and young at heart: the Self Fulfilling Prophecies and the Hansen and Raitt Band, both acts making much appreciated returns to the local stage.

The event, according to the institute's treasurer, Jenny Burnstad, will support the work of the Amazon Mycorenewal Project- a cutting edge technology that is employing mushroom mycelium to help break down toxic materials left by decades of dumping in the Ecuadorian Amazon.

Between 1964 and 1992, Texaco Oil spilled 18.5 billion gallons of toxic waste into hundreds of unlined pits. "Oil, heavy metals and radioactive substances were in the pools," says Burnstad. The pits continue to seep into the water table, creating contaminated water and a population that has one of the highest cancer rates in the world.

The mushroom mycelium digests, breaks down toxic materials and helps the land heal. Local citizens and a coalition of Ecuadorian governmental and international organizations are beginning the long journey of reclaiming rain forest that has been transformed into a toxic wasteland.

The Cloud Forest Institute has been working on this project for two-and-a-half years, according to Burnstad, training Ecuadorian team members in conceptual and experimental mycoremediation projects. A fourth project will commence in December, when the institute will offer a four-section service-learning course in Ecuador. The program consists of a Mycorenewal workshop, a Christmas retreat and shamanic experience, and concludes with a second service-learning workshop. Students will journey into the Cloud Forest and Amazon Jungles, exploring some of the most threatened and significant biodiversity regions on earth. Optional college credit and scholarships are available.

The Cloud Forest Institute was formed in 1996 when institute director Alida Burnstad and her father, Sumo, took a tour of the Galapagos Islands and the Amazon sponsored by Mendocino College.

Alida founded the nonprofit organization which sponsors a variety of projects including the Butler Cherry Ranch Project, the Earth Cycles Radio Project - bringing micro power radio stations to North American Native Tribes; Earth Films - a documentary film company; the Four Directions Solidarity Network - which provides sustainable resources to Native Americans affected by Hurricane Katrina; and the Herbal Medicine Chest Garden Project - which helps people create simple herbal medicines from their home garden. A memorial garden for Sumo Burnstad has been installed at the Cleveland Lane Community Garden in Ukiah.

The Bruce Gardener Burma Project provides alternative energy equipment to Burma. The institute supports a number of other organizations including the Greater Ukiah Localization Project, the Mendocino Environmental Center, the Mendocino Organic Network and Watershed Poetry Mendocino.

The institute's Halloween Bash will host members of the "myco-team" who have been working in Ecuador. The evening will commence with master of ceremonies Les Tar introducing longtime Mendocino County resident and ceremonial leader Marilyn Motherbear. She will lead attendees in a blessing of the season. Traditional Dia de los Muertos altars, foods and puppets will be on display, as well as Ecuadorian Dia de los Defunctos treats.

"Local merchants have donated wonderful goods for a silent auction," says Burnstad. A film documenting the Mycorenewal project will be shown throughout the evening, and a costume contest will round out the evening's festivities.

With a sliding scale donation of $10 to $20, Burnstad hopes this Day of the Dead celebration will help the institute give Ecuadorian citizens many more healthy days of living. The event will be held from dusk to midnight. For more information, phone 743-1287.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
Re: Helping The Amazon Mycorenewal Project with Halloween.....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11290610 - 10/21/09 10:02 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I watched something about this on 60 minutes and I was disgusted at what Texaco just left in Ecuador. They had a representative talking about it like it was these peoples problem now, you know what he's exactly right, it is their problem and nobody is really helping. These people, and many others across Central and South America were exploited for their natural rescources and now they are paying dearly for the after effects of that exploitation. Christ, at least clean up what you left, that's only fair. Supposedly it would cost way to much to be worth it to Texaco, but yet they still are making record profits, doesn't make much sense. I'm happy that there is something out there that will help to clean this up, and it's Mycelium (not people), but it's still going to be a long while before the memories fade. My 2 pennies.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

Edited by Dr.Myco87 (10/21/09 10:04 AM)

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: Helping The Amazon Mycorenewal Project with Halloween.....[CA] [Re: Dr.Myco87]
    #11292134 - 10/21/09 03:29 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Dr.Myco87 said:
I'm happy that there is something out there that will help to clean this up, and it's Mycelium (not people), but it's still going to be a long while before the memories fade. My 2 pennies.

Lots of people are still helping, just not Fuxaco.

That is what the article is all about. Charity.

I know what you are saying though...

InvisibleBoomerMan420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Helping The Amazon Mycorenewal Project with Halloween.....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11293674 - 10/21/09 07:19 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Wow I hate these people on this planet earth why can't they just die it seems thats what they want death dont care at all for others because of some reason I cant fathom, be it language or complexion fuck all that bullshit I wish I could just take these leaders out with my bare hands crooked ass muthafuckas reminds me of the shipwreck yards and shit in that "3rd world country" where they just left all that shit there for them to die from and stick them with wages that they can only get a dinner for their family not new clothes or nothing work them over becuase they dont have our "knowledge" so we practically enslave them fuck all that how can people do that I want to find a person as crooked as that. YOU FUCKIN DIE MAINE!!!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Ranch Dressing, Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service