Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll
    #11287641 - 10/20/09 10:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I want to know how PS&P feels about fields of inquiry in philosophy.
Is Metaphysics a valid field of inquiry?
You may choose only one
Yes
No
Is discussing semantics a waste of time and should we only take text-book definitons (?
You may choose only one
Yes
No
Philosophy of Science: Should we be questioning the scientific method?
You may choose only one
Yes
No
Is philosophy pointless in essence of progress?
You may choose only one
Yes
No
Do you actually hate Orgy?
You may choose only one
Yes, he makes me so angry!!
Yes
No, i love his posts and would miss them if he were to leave
No, i love him

Votes accepted from (10/20/09 10:57 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: flangenips]
    #11287758 - 10/20/09 11:09 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Y,Y,Y,Y,N

Though I must admit, Im not quite sure what you mean by 'valid' and by 'essence of progress'.  I just used my gut.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: DieCommie]
    #11287817 - 10/20/09 11:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I'm all for questioning the scientific method, but anyone who does had better have a fucking good argument.

I do not understand question 4 and thus did not answer it.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: DieCommie]
    #11287839 - 10/20/09 11:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i was going to expand on the answers, but decided against that for some reason
sorry for any confusion

Metaphysics can be a bit loaded, say what if something is historically considered metaphysical turns out to be true.

By Metaphysics validity, sorry if these answers seem a biased projection - ill do my best to stay objective

YES: we should be questioning and theorizing about what is beyond the obtainable/empirical evidence/physics...
NO: we should not concern ourselves with that knowledge that cannot be obtained / science, as a route of inquiry, has us sorted on all matters

in essense of progress... i mean, do we make any progress by discussing philosophy.
edit: ah i've worded that question bad, i know what i mean, but struggling to express/elaborate it.

umm.. think in terms of ethics/metaphysics/semantics/paradigm discussions. is there progress to be had from that sort of philosophy?

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Edited by flangenips (10/20/09 11:21 PM)

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: laserpig]
    #11287878 - 10/20/09 11:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Sure why not, see answer two.

I think the scientific method is just dandy for sciencey stuff. PSP isn't real sciencey so the scientific method doesn't belong.

Semantics are fun. The problem is I saw a discussion about how evolution only  applies to DNA. The word was appropriated by those DNA bastards. It can be applied to many things.

Orgys are fun.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #11287971 - 10/20/09 11:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Metaphysics is important because we so often operate on unreflective metaphysical assumptions.  Metaphysical assumptions are implicit in much of what we do, including science, and if we are unreflective about those assumptions, then they can lead us into great error.

It's interesting you mention language and semantics, because I was just reading up about Wittgenstein.  I would say language is most certainly a relevant and important area of study.  If 20th century philosophy has taught us anything, it's that we can no longer take language for granted.

Philosophy of science:  Yes, absolutely.  How many times have you heard people praise science for its willingness to question itself?  How hypocritical, then, would it be to put the method of inquiry itself above reproach to questioning?

Philosophy?  Pointless?  Hardly.  Philosophy is the meta-discipline.  It is the discipline from which nearly every other discipline can trace its origins, science included.  Philosophy is constantly urging us to question our assumptions.  Such questioning is essential to progress.

I refuse to answer the last question because none of the options represents my opinion.  Hate is such a strong word, and I would consider it ridiculous to apply it to someone whose only crime is making posts of sub-par quality.  But I do find his posts tedious, annoying, and deleterious to the general quality of discussion in this forum, which is why I have him on ignore.  If there is something I hate, it is that we spend so much time discussing him rather than discussing philosophy.

--------------------

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: Band of Gypsys]
    #11288069 - 10/20/09 11:36 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I feel with semantics its best to try to understand context,
if one doesn't believe me, go to every county in the british isles, then to south africa, then to australia/nz, then compare the differences to your own Local English - culture and dialect is relevant (and i'm not just talking about accent for fuck sake), whether a natural evolution of language or forced by popularity.

Saying 'whats up' is a good example, some buggers may try tell you their life story, when all you were fishing for was a simple greeting. Where as online, context is harder to read, so we must try harder to understand it, though a lot like to jump to conclusion

Then again, some people prefer to be purely 'technical' and think evolution has no other context than reference to DNA...

--------------------

Edited by flangenips (10/20/09 11:43 PM)

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11288121 - 10/20/09 11:40 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Metaphysics is important because we so often operate on unreflective metaphysical assumptions.  Metaphysical assumptions are implicit in much of what we do, including science, and if we are unreflective about those assumptions, then they can lead us into great error.

It's interesting you mention language and semantics, because I was just reading up about Wittgenstein.  I would say language is most certainly a relevant and important area of study.  If 20th century philosophy has taught us anything, it's that we can no longer take language for granted.

Philosophy of science:  Yes, absolutely.  How many times have you heard people praise science for its willingness to question itself?  How hypocritical, then, would it be to put the method of inquiry itself above reproach to questioning?

Philosophy?  Pointless?  Hardly.  Philosophy is the meta-discipline.  It is the discipline from which nearly every other discipline can trace its origins, science included.  Philosophy is constantly urging us to question our assumptions.  Such questioning is essential to progress.

I refuse to answer the last question because none of the options represents my opinion.  Hate is such a strong word, and I would consider it ridiculous to apply it to someone whose only crime is making posts of sub-par quality.  But I do find his posts tedious, annoying, and deleterious to the general quality of discussion in this forum, which is why I have him on ignore.  If there is something I hate, it is that we spend so much time discussing him rather than discussing philosophy.

Thanks for the reply. Something i was hoping to read from posters.

the final question was a bonus question :smile:

--------------------

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: Silversoul]
    #11288386 - 10/21/09 12:08 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You might be interested in reading this, its shortish Silversoul

Quote:

As much as he ridicules philosophy for spawning contradictory theories and for
pulling the rug out from under morality, he cannot bring himself to disparage all of the arts
and sciences.

Philosophy as a pernicious waste of time:
http://www.rgpost.com/Media/Pernicious.pdf
its quite an attack on Rousseu, but a fun read

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
    #11292096 - 10/21/09 03:23 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

why the oc question... jesus

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: andrewss]
    #11292121 - 10/21/09 03:27 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I really can't answer yes or no to these without knowing what you mean. 

"Is Metaphysics a valid field of inquiry?"

What do you mean by valid?  What makes any field valid?  I can disagree that metaphysics is meaningful and still think that it is a valid way to waste time.

"Is philosophy pointless in essence of progress?"

Progress towards what?

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: andrewss]
    #11293681 - 10/21/09 07:20 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
why the oc question... jesus

Its a bonus question.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #11293729 - 10/21/09 07:26 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

flangenips said:

Quote:

flangenips said:

I want.

I want to.

I want to know.

Yes I really hate Orgy.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlineyelyarb
Male

Loc: Canada
    #11293869 - 10/21/09 07:45 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I have a few questions.

What is PS&P? In question 4, do you mean to ask if philosophy is necessary for progress, and what kind of progress? Who is Orgy?

--------------------
:bliss:

It's the same thing.

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

#11293918 - 10/21/09 07:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
I really can't answer yes or no to these without knowing what you mean. 

"Is Metaphysics a valid field of inquiry?"

What do you mean by valid?  What makes any field valid?  I can disagree that metaphysics is meaningful and still think that it is a valid way to waste time.

"Is philosophy pointless in essence of progress?"

Progress towards what?

Valid in the sense of a waste of time and energy, that we should be more interested in other stuff.
Pointless in the sense of being a Pernicious waste of time, obsolete, self-defeating, or what ever other reason anyone could think philosophy pointless - and therefore lacking any progression...

And for the metaphysics question, read the second part as a whole 'valid as a field of inquiry', as in a 'pertinent/significant/ place to query.' naturally, if you think its a 'valid waste of time' you should probably answer no to that question.
I like to think people would answer the questions with what they think it means. Though I'm realising some things must have to be spelt out if any confusion is caused. And i don't blame the confused, it just happens, hey understanding meaning, semantics, just goes to show its key aye?

The reason i asked those two questions is because i'm interested in what some of the members here think of metaphysics and philosophy in general. (this is after the time i've been here i've seen everything from stubborn logical positivist arguments, to religious belief, to hard-nosed-mockeries of metaphysics)

People might like to believe we should 'live in the now' (i see this thrown around a lot, also see that article a few posts up). That we ought not spend so much time frivolously asking the 'what ifs' and 'what could be.' So i'm of interested in how many people may think this way, just as a tally, not so much a percentage.

--------------------

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: yelyarb]
    #11293962 - 10/21/09 07:57 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

yelyarb said:
I have a few questions.

What is PS&P? In question 4, do you mean to ask if philosophy is necessary for progress, and what kind of progress? Who is Orgy?

PS&P : Philosophy, Sociology, and Psychology - this forum

I don't mean to ask that, but if you feel it is necessary, do tell.
What kind of progress? whatever kind tickles your fancy, or doesn't... or just progress in the sense of the quest for truth.

Orgy is a regular here, creates many threads that upset or entertain certain people or that don't do much at for people - unless they've already got him on block, in which case they won't do much at all. For the most of us, i don't think they do much at all, but i could be wrong :P

--------------------

Edited by flangenips (10/21/09 07:57 PM)

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #11294087 - 10/21/09 08:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

flangenips said:
Quote:

yelyarb said:
I have a few questions.

PS&P : Philosophy, Sociology, and Psychology - this forum

I don't mean to ask that, but if you feel it is necessary, do tell.
What kind of progress? whatever kind tickles your fancy, or doesn't... or just progress in the sense of the quest for truth.

Orgy is a regular here, creates many threads that upset or entertain certain people or that don't do much at for people - unless they've already got him on block, in which case they won't do much at all. For the most of us, i don't think they do much at all, but i could be wrong :P

Orgy regular like those who drink prune juice.

You could be wrong or just head to the head.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
    #11294161 - 10/21/09 08:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Semantics are important for making an argument clear, but semantics also provides a way for a person to attack another person's argument in a way that is counter-productive to the converstation, and is thus wasteful.

If a person's meaning is unclear because of word choice, that should be stated clearly and the person proposing the argument should restate and clarify his original point.

However, if the meaning is quite clear and someone attacks a word choice simply because they are choosing to interpret it differently, that is deconstructive to any conversation.

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy: Fields of Inquiry Poll [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #11294162 - 10/21/09 08:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Orgy regular like those who drink prune juice.

Maybe, but is prune juice good just before an orgy?

--------------------

Offlineyelyarb
Male

Loc: Canada
    #11307609 - 10/23/09 07:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks, off to poll.

--------------------
:bliss:

It's the same thing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology