Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenaturallyunnatural
Paradoxial Existential Life
Male

Loc: Michigan
Geometry
    #11286065 - 10/20/09 07:54 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Lately I've been doing thinking on what is important in life concerning mainstream education and success. I really like this geometric art and theories but would like to know a bit more about it and pose this question: How important are regular mathematics classes?

--------------------
:dna: :sainthofmann: :dna:

"Take time  to stop and be the flowers." - Albert Hofmann

Does anyone want to send me a free Psilocybe cubensis spore syringe? PM me!:pm:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheYouth
Stranger
Re: Geometry [Re: naturallyunnatural]
    #11286290 - 10/20/09 08:22 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to read and write books, knowing Pythagoras' theorem probably won't help you too much.

However if you want to be a mathematician (duh), an engineer, a chemist, an economist, a biologist, a doctor, a pilot or a carpenter, among a ridiculous amount of other careers, you need to know math.

Math isn't just some bullshit that some dude made up to frustrate primary school kids; it has very real applications to the world around us; math helps us understand and make sense of natural phenomenon and other biological happenings.

It might be hard to see that when you're just doing geometry, but once you get to calculus you really begin to appreciate just how much there is to know (and just how little you know ha ha).

OfflineCamKron
Mychotic
 User Gallery

Re: Geometry [Re: TheYouth]
    #11286566 - 10/20/09 08:56 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

im in school for engineering right now (3rd yr out of 4),
if you understand math it can help you understand fundamentals of our everyday life (ie. you can represent just about anything as an equation of sorts...which you can then operate on with things like derivatives and all that fun stuff)

i can put it like this: the recent recession was caused by people using a mathematical model based on statistics...people just were greedy and didnt understand the equation they were using...

are basic math courses important? i would say the way you learn to think is the best tool you will pick up, if your not going to do any math after highschool, its probly not a big deal... i deal with lots of math and it is VERY applicable to just about everything...which is good or bad depending on how you look at it ;P

IMO geometry is more for ppl who are into STRAIGHT theory, it doesnt have as many practical applications as something like calculus, which can predict air movement or electrical potential or the trajectory of a rocket or the rate at which the population is growing...etc

--------------------
:cool: :mushroom2: :cool: All Pics And Advice Is Just Google Research :cool: :mushroom2: :cool: :mushroom2:

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Geometry [Re: CamKron]
    #11289499 - 10/21/09 02:37 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I have strong opinions on the matter.

Unfortunately our curriculums are based on preparing people for calculus as though that is the ultimate goal of high school and college students.  But most people never take calculus, and those that do dont care about it or use it.  Curriculums should be focused more on statistics and probabilities.  Those areas of mathematics have the most to offer for the 'common' man who does not major in a mathematical field.  Knowing statistics and probabilities can benifit your life more then virtually any other field of mathematics.

Viewed more holistically, I see regular mathematics as one of the two pillars of having a well rounded education.  The other being literature.  Mathematics and literature are our society's basic manifestations of what I see as the two main aspects of intelligence - rationality and creativity.  Studying each is necessary for a well rounded education.

Now I dont know about geometry, I never took the class myself.  The mystics in M&P love it and contrive all kinds of meaning in it.  Personally, as I stated above, I think statistics and probability are more useful and interesting.

OfflineIndubitably
Stranger

Re: Geometry [Re: DieCommie]
    #11289630 - 10/21/09 03:03 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Math isn't just some bullshit that some dude made up to frustrate primary school kids

Thats precisely what it is :evil2:

OfflineIndubitably
Stranger

Re: Geometry [Re: Indubitably]
    #11289638 - 10/21/09 03:05 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MO geometry is more for ppl who are into STRAIGHT theory

Geometry is very visual and not abstract at all furthermore its all based on basic principles its not theoretical whatsoever.

InvisibleDoctor_Dick
Forgiveness
Male User Gallery

Loc: top of the tower
Re: Geometry [Re: Indubitably]
    #11289688 - 10/21/09 03:15 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

why is this post in the psychedelic experience section? mods are slow at this time of night.

--------------------
:minifo:] "This promise constitutes the heart of my Christian beliefs and my call to natural-scientific research: we will attain to knowledge of the universe through the spirit of truth, and thereby to understanding of our being one with the deepest, most comprehensive reality, God."
-Albert Hofmann

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience