Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVermillion
backhandyourmother

Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP?
    #11264421 - 10/17/09 08:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Last week, my 2 Cambodian cubenisis spore syringes arrived, and at the same time, I managed to sell a whole bunch of stuff on ebay.

Now my budget for this project is way bigger now, much more flexible.

I was going to roll with the verm/brown rice flower cakes, and fruit them in the shotgun chamber, but then I started seeing things called mono tubes, and on various sites theres some pretty intresting growing kits.

Just wondering what would be the best stuff to invest in to do bulk grows with 150.00 quid.

--------------------
I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centers for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenightshd
Stranger

Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: Vermillion]
    #11264429 - 10/17/09 08:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i wish i had started with bulk, im saving up for my next grow and its def gonna be some monotubs, yield wise its way more bang for your buck.  dont get a kit, i was intimidated by the PF tek(why, now i cant undestand) so i tried with a bag first, and failed, then switched to jars and its so easy and dirt cheap.  have fun the first grows amazing!

OfflineVermillion
backhandyourmother

Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: nightshd]
    #11264487 - 10/17/09 08:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Deff looking for more bang for my buck, but, what exactly are monotubes?

Cool, Ill stay away from the kits. I saw those bag things and knew straight off that they were probs rubbish, what I had my eyes on were some fancy fruiting chambers. Ill stick with the inexpensive shotgun fc. Also, whats PF tek?

--------------------
I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centers for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui

Offlinenightshd
Stranger

#11264516 - 10/17/09 09:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

http://mushroomvideos.com/ the videos on this site will tell you everything you need to know

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: nightshd]
    #11264531 - 10/17/09 09:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

nightshd said:
http://mushroomvideos.com/ the videos on this site will tell you everything you need to know

That + this: http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11264599 - 10/17/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

For the time being I would just purchase all the kit required to do the pftek as this is your bread and butter, once you have this tek down you have a constant supply of either cakes to fruit, or spawn for bulk.

Then you can start thinking about either a fruiting chamber (big rubbermaid with a base of wet perlite to keep humidity up), or using your brf cakes as spawn for a monotub style grow.

1/2 pint tumblers from asda = x4 - 79p -ASDA
brown rice (to grind)= £2.19 - ASDA
60litre rubbermaid tubs w/ lid = £5.99 - Wilkinsons
100% isopropyl alcohol= £3 - ebay
Dettol/Lysol aerosol= £2 - Anywhere
Vermiculite/Perlite= £3 or so per bag - B&Q

Hope this helps, cam sometimes be tricky find stuf in the UK after reading the US based teks.

OfflineVermillion
backhandyourmother

Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11264774 - 10/17/09 10:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You guys are on point, this info was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, I understand when you inoculate the cakes, the environment needs to be at room temperature for the spores to growproperly, and the area needs to be as sterile as possible - that part I understand, but when it comes to fruiting, is it possible to leave the fc or monotube in a garage where the temperature is somewhat below room temp and still produce quality fruit?

Theres really no space in my flat to fruit, but theres plenty of space in the garage. Theres also not much light in the garage, so Im kinda worried about fruiting.

--------------------

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
    #11264835 - 10/17/09 10:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

buy a pressure cooker, some mason jars, some bird seed, some coco coir, a 96quart plastic bin, and start reading
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8231041#8231041

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: Slimz]
    #11265189 - 10/17/09 11:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just remember that people on these boards are from all around the globe....one mans room temp is another mans sauna temp...

Please read up on reccomended fruiting and incubating temps, then  go buy a thermometer and check wherever your going to put them  is within the reccomended.

If your in the UK I wouldnt be putting your cubes in an  unheated garage with the winter coming.

Hope this helps.

OfflineVermillion
backhandyourmother

Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: Zed]
    #11276482 - 10/19/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Gota post a bit more till I can visit that link slimz & zed, I think Im gonna fruit them under my computer desk in my flat. Ive also noticed both my spore syringes have this thing floating in them, looks like spit/flem but grey in colour.

Ive had them in the fridge ever since they arrived, its coming up to 2 weeks now so I hope there still good to go. I also spent way to much a few nights back drinking in Brighton, so now my budget has shrunk to a megar 50.00 quid..

--------------------

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
    #11276682 - 10/19/09 11:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The syringes  will be fine, the 'spit/flem'  you speak of is just clumped spores and maybe some germination....nothing to worry about.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11277601 - 10/19/09 01:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I would have skipped the PF cakes and gone straight to grains. If all you are after I would recommend growing sclerotia, it is by far the easiest thing for beginners.

I would recommend this PC in argos, I have it and am impressed with it, I looked up reviews and work with boilers etc in my job so know what works. It is also on offer at the moment, just £30.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8610351/Trail/searchtext%3EHIGH+DOME.htm
It is a good brand so you will always be able to get spares, it is nice & tall, and cheaper than the 5L equivalent.

I got 3kg of wheat in a petshop for €1.65 the other day. I have also grown in 3 & 4.5L tubs from tesco which worked out well.

Notice they just hid the lid and bend over, it is so tight inside it keeps itself humid.

You can get by with very little if you want, especially with sclerotia. UK room temp is not really enough, your PC will be hot you could put it inside or ontop with a towel. I would recommend an aquarium heater and thermometer, and a PC. I use old jars, tesco have family size jars of sauce, it is cheaper than getting empty ones. I drill 2 small holes and make self healing silicone injection ports. 2 holes allow you to use a filtered syringe to allow for air exchange, without having to have filters on your jars. I found a lot of contams came in through the filter disks so no longer use them.

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: Where to start with a budget of 150.00 GBP? [Re: blackout]
    #11277630 - 10/19/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just a quick mention that Tesco have a special offer on a 7litre pc for £30 too, have a look at their website.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11278340 - 10/19/09 04:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Zed said:
Just a quick mention that Tesco have a special offer on a 7litre pc for �30 too, have a look at their website.

I see a tower one on tesco, the same 7L is £30 in argos too. It does not mention the pressure, but I am guessing 12psi max, most in argos are only 12psi, I had to get them to take one out and read the instructions to find it was only 12psi, I am not certain if it was tower though. My parents had a tower and it was not great. The prestige is definitely 15psi. I ran mine at 18-21psi the other day with no problems -don't ask how! if you don't know then it is too dangerous for you to be messing with. I think they give a max operating pressure of 27psi in the booklet.

OfflineVermillion
backhandyourmother

#11283918 - 10/20/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Cheers for dropping some wisdom, think the PC is a must, probs buy that tomorrow, but the jars are hard to find, ones where I dont have to break them to get the shroom stuff out (smaller diameter tops preventing shroom stuff from sliding out).

I checked the asda website but cant find half pint tumblers, are theres what you mean? http://www.funpartyshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18358

Managed to buy some verm an per today, and instead of grinding brown rice Im just gonna buy brown rice flour.

When you say skip the cakes and go straight to grain, what do you mean? Think Im gonna have another ganders at those videos. Also, what do I need the Dettol/Lysol for? Just to use em as a mister?

Cheers for all the help guys, seariously :wink:

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11284201 - 10/20/09 01:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I meant do not even do PF cakes ever, with grain any old jar will do, the grain is cheaper than BRF & verm and if you are getting a PC your grains will be sterile. I also found it harder to grow cakes than grains. And sclerotia is piss easy, you just sterilize the grain, inject spores, keep it warm and harvest. There is no misting fanning etc, with PF cakes you have to birth them, with sclerotia birthing time is harvest time, nothing to do but pick out the stones.

The dettol is for sterilizing your work area, again with sclerotia this is not really a big issue since everything grows in the jar and is only opened at the very end. I think you need to read up the basics more if you thought it was for misting!

Bonne mamam jam comes in tapered jars if you do insist on starting with cakes. You could also use tupperware tapered containers, or microwave soup containers which are often tapered.

OfflineVermillion
backhandyourmother

#11285360 - 10/20/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Im digging the sound of this sclerotia big time. With the cambodian cubes sitting in the fridge Ill just use those for now. The website where I get my stuff from has sclerotia syringes, which Ive just ordered so they can be the second batch.

Quote:

blackout said:
I meant do not even do PF cakes ever, with grain any old jar will do, the grain is cheaper than BRF & verm and if you are getting a PC your grains will be sterile. I also found it harder to grow cakes than grains. And sclerotia is piss easy, you just sterilize the grain, inject spores, keep it warm and harvest. There is no misting fanning etc, with PF cakes you have to birth them, with sclerotia birthing time is harvest time, nothing to do but pick out the stones.

What do you mean birthing time is harvest time? Do you mean the birthing and harvest time of this tek & sclerotia take half the time needed compaired to other shroom species and teks? Or something completely unrelated/ obscure tek I have yet to read up on?

Ive just finished watching the grain, straw & straw 2 videos, so I can see how the shroom stuff can easily come out the jar with that tek. Radness. Cheers aswell for the pics, I noticed your fc had a bed of dirt? and straw?

Quote:

The dettol is for sterilizing your work area, again with sclerotia this is not really a big issue since everything grows in the jar and is only opened at the very end. I think you need to read up the basics more if you thought it was for misting!

Haha dude, I thought the dettol was just used for the bottle, empty it out, rinse it, fill it with water and use it to mist. Im a noob but I wouldnt mist shrooms with antibacterial spray..

Quote:

Bonne mamam jam comes in tapered jars if you do insist on starting with cakes. You could also use tupperware tapered containers, or microwave soup containers which are often tapered.

Your tek seems much more viable then my cakes one so Ill scrap that project and run with what youve told me. Now Im just wondering what to do with these 2 huge bags of verm and perl. Ebay maby..

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11285744 - 10/20/09 04:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Vermillion said:
What do you mean birthing time is harvest time? Do you mean the birthing and harvest time of this tek & sclerotia take half the time needed compaired to other shroom species and teks?

I mean with cakes you have to inject spores, colonise and the birth the cake, thats the easy bit, then you have to get humidity etc. With sclerotia you inject spores it colonises, and then you leave it inside the jar, it delvops into sclerotia (AKA philosophers stones, there were on sale in the UK a few years back). So they never leave the jar, when they are ready you just open the jar and harvest them out, no humidity, spraying, fanning etc.

It does not take half the time, it can take months for the sclerotia to develop. If you are in a rush however you could open one jar early and harvest what is inside. They can begin to form sclerotia in a matter of weeks. Also you could make many jars at once, they remain stable, it is not like you have to harvest at the same time. It is perfect if you go on holidays, they are very robust and can be just left and forgotten about, hidden away.

Quote:

Vermillion said: I noticed your fc had a bed of dirt? and straw?

That is a casing. With grains you usually case them, it is potting soil I used, straw is not necessary. It could be cased with verm, the verm in the PF jars is sort of like the casing layer, providing moisture for the shrooms

Quote:

Vermillion said:
Haha dude, I thought the dettol was just used for the bottle, empty it out, rinse it, fill it with water and use it to mist. Im a noob but I wouldnt mist shrooms with antibacterial spray..

:smile: no problem, I still think you should read up a lot more, or you will get pissed off with the whole thing if it goes tits up.

Quote:

Vermillion said:Your tek seems much more viable then my cakes one so Ill scrap that project and run with what youve told me. Now Im just wondering what to do with these 2 huge bags of verm and perl. Ebay maby..

It is not my tek! check out any grain growlogs in the growlog forum. The only unusual thing I do is use small tubs and just let the shrooms hit the roof and bend over. You might need the verm & perlite for other grows.

I think sclerotia is ideal for beginners since there it should have a high rate of success. Failure can put many people off. Once you have a sclerotia grow under you belt you will be happy and can move on to other things. Many will use verm & perlite in "non-PF jar" grows

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck