Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhoever
Stranger
Technical general mushroom finding question
    #11284360 - 10/20/09 03:46 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

There is what seems to be a really good writeup on matsutake mushrooms, but where the writer says the following about fruiting reliant on temperature variations rather than moisture, and it wasn't clear if that only refered to one mushroom, so I'm asking if anyone knows or noticed if this might be general to all mushrooms.  Also he didn't mention relative humidities, and also it's true that sometimes when creatures think they are dying, when conditions are *unfavorable*, then they will suddenly give more than normal energy to reproduction.

But here is the quote:
"Moisture is not necessary to form mushrooms. Many cases of bumper crop years, without rainfall, are a matter of record. The period between first cooling and second, is the formation period. Basic rule, The longer the period between first cooling and second, with warming of 5 - 12 degree average daily air temp, the more productive the season.
Elements which inhibit formation are limited warming, too much warming and extended cooling. More than one formation period may exist in a given year. Continued cooling enables more area, sunny aspects and lower elevations, to begin formation. A warming after several cooling events, each a little cooler than the previous, could form mushrooms."

http://www.matsiman.com/booklet/matsutake_mushroomhandout.htm

Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Technical general mushroom finding question [Re: whoever]
    #11285813 - 10/20/09 07:09 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You should keep in mind that the writer of that article is in Oregon, a place with relatively high rainfall (compared to most places). So even a dry year will have significant rainfall.

The mushrooms absolutely need some rain to form. But that rain doesn't need to come right when the fruiting time is, especially when the species is mycorrhizal, as matsutake are. Mycorrhizal fungi share nutrients with their plant hosts, and this helps reduce shortages for each.

Matsutake require some seasonal cooling to fruit, so the article is correct. Living in Colorado as I do, during drought years (we've had several recently) the number of mushrooms, including matsutake, is very clearly correlated with the amount of rainfall. Compared to Oregon, the area I live in is very dry. During the worst years mushrooms are found very nearly only along streams, where the mycelium and roots can get water in spite of the lack of rain.

Generalizing this to all mushrooms it's probably best to divide the mushrooms into saprophytes and mycorrhizal species. I've found that mycorrhizal mushrooms seem to survive marginal conditions a bit better than the saprophytes do. The advantage the saprophytes seem to have is speed of development - if it's been dry then they're up first once the rains start.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewhoever
Stranger
Re: Technical general mushroom finding question [Re: ToxicMan]
    #11286997 - 10/20/09 09:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Fascinating, that makes better sense.  Thanks for clearing it up, there is sooooo much to learn...I started to think I should hope for snow instead of rain...I guess every mushroom has its peculiarites.  The past several weeks there've been hundreds of all different kinds where I romp a lot, and today on scouting I only saw a dozen.  I guess because it got cold the other night.  I'm hoping they pop back up soon, maybe a whole different set this round, as seems to be the way of it.

One more question, do mushrooms knock themselves over a lot, or would that be predominantly animal-induced?  I find a lot knocked over, where people don't go, and they don't seem to be eaten or anything.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #11287074 - 10/20/09 09:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

That depends on the size of the mushroom.  Some mushrooms are almost known for falling over.  The platterful mushroom does that around here.

And as far as the rainfall is concerned, it varies so much I don't think you can make a rule that covers everything.  I hunted in Colorado and agree with ToxicMan for Colorado.  I've also hunted in the Carolinas, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and a few other states.  Those rules are a bit different from species to species and from state to state.

One example.  This year I found a cluster of Gyms after a three week drought.  I think you can make one rule of thumb.  Little mushrooms do not fruit without rain or dew.

--------------------

Offlinewhoever
Stranger
Re: Technical general mushroom finding question [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #11294123 - 10/21/09 08:19 PM (8 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
That depends on the size of the mushroom.  Some mushrooms are almost known for falling over.

My knock-offs are all 1-3 inches.  There was one spot that really bugged me, with 5 little white mushrooms in a 5' circle, each tipped over...maybe it's deer kicking them.  But it's starting to look...intentional...

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #11305501 - 10/23/09 01:07 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Most mushrooms growing in the woods will quickly be infested with maggots inside eating them. Once the stem is hollowed out from that enough the mushroom is pretty likely to fall over.

Try picking one and cutting it in half vertically. It's generally pretty obvious when the maggots have gotten into them.

All of this, of course, is just another possibility. Animals of all sorts also like mushrooms.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewhoever
Stranger
Re: Technical general mushroom finding question [Re: ToxicMan]
    #11307770 - 10/23/09 07:52 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Good tip, i did not think of that - i will slice some open.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification