Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance
    #11283317 - 10/20/09 12:48 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

This is an idea Ernest Becker presented in his book The Denial of Death that I sort of find to be extremely true; that most humans are so narcissistic to the point that they believe that the collection of atoms that constitutes their bodies is more significant, in a cosmic sense, then any other collection of atoms.

So, basically, most humans think they're special. But they're really not. :nonono:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (09/22/12 10:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: Poid]
    #11418951 - 11/09/09 03:21 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Bump!  :whoo:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
    #11418990 - 11/09/09 03:26 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

This might be true to a degree on a case by case basis, but as a species I would say we are more significant than others on earth given one would give us kudos for being the most powerful species on earth. Though what does this really mean, I guess not all that much, but we are a diverse and pretty interesting animal species at least in comparison and I think thats worth some novelty.

If everyone actually subscribed to that self deprecating part of that "dichotomy" almost nobody would do anything human, so at least in our mental realm many of us are aesthetics and somewhat narcissistic, so what? Just calling it out doesnt really say all that much...

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: andrewss]
    #11419030 - 11/09/09 03:33 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
This might be true to a degree on a case by case basis, but as a species I would say we are more significant than others on earth given one would give us kudos for being the most powerful species on earth.

Being on the top of the food chain does not make the atoms that comprise our bodies more "significant" than any other group of atoms; significance is a value judgment.

Quote:

andrewss said:
Though what does this really mean, I guess not all that much, but we are a diverse and pretty interesting animal species at least in comparison and I think thats worth some novelty.

Nebulae are pretty novel, IMO; still, though, the atoms that comprise them are no more significant (in a cosmic sense) than anything else.

Quote:

andrewss said:
If everyone actually subscribed to that self deprecating part of that "dichotomy" almost nobody would do anything human...

What do you mean by "...do anything human..."? :undecided:

Quote:

andrewss said:
...so at least in our mental realm many of us are aesthetics...

What do you mean "...many of us are aesthetics..."?

From Aesthetics - Wikipedia:
Quote:

Aesthetics (also spelled æsthetics or esthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of beauty, art, and taste, and with the creation and appreciation of beauty. It is more scientifically defined as the study of sensory or sensori-emotional values, sometimes called judgments of sentiment and taste. More broadly, scholars in the field define aesthetics as "critical reflection on art, culture and nature." Aesthetics is a subdiscipline of axiology, a branch of philosophy, and is closely associated with the philosophy of art. Aesthetics studies new ways of seeing and of perceiving the world.

Quote:

andrewss said:
...and somewhat narcissistic, so what? Just calling it out doesnt really say all that much...

I'm just putting it out t/here. :shrug:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11419082 - 11/09/09 03:42 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

We know less than we think we do.

Invisiblerebus_minus
    #11419116 - 11/09/09 03:46 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

there is only one atom
and it is none
other
than
reflections

:lol:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: rebus_minus]
    #11419650 - 11/09/09 05:10 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fraggin said:

Who's "we"? :confused:

Quote:

rebus_minus said:
there is only one atom
and it is none
other
than
reflections

:lol:

:lol:, ok...

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: andrewss]
    #11419678 - 11/09/09 05:14 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
This might be true to a degree on a case by case basis, but as a species I would say we are more significant than others on earth given one would give us kudos for being the most powerful species on earth. Though what does this really mean, I guess not all that much, but we are a diverse and pretty interesting animal species at least in comparison and I think thats worth some novelty.

If everyone actually subscribed to that self deprecating part of that "dichotomy" almost nobody would do anything human, so at least in our mental realm many of us are aesthetics and somewhat narcissistic, so what? Just calling it out doesnt really say all that much...

When we've been around as long as the dinosaurs I'll start to think we might just be a tiny bit special.

But what animal that could reflect on itself not think itself special.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11419685 - 11/09/09 05:15 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Fraggin said:

The collective conciousness of this planet.

One cannont simultaneously experience and understand a subjective system objectively.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: Fraggin]
    #11419716 - 11/09/09 05:18 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fraggin said:

Can you prove that there's even a such thing?

Quote:

Fraggin said:
One cannont simultaneously experience and understand a subjective system objectively.

Can you elaborate on this statement?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineTropism
ChasingTail

#11419831 - 11/09/09 05:33 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Imagine you are an alien species that happens to stumble on our planet. What do you find?
A bunch of tool using primates who believe the universe was created soley for them and their desires, and better yet, it was created by a giant being who is in their image.

:cuckoo:

Yeah, Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: Tropism]
    #11419837 - 11/09/09 05:34 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tropism said:

Yup! :highfive:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11419858 - 11/09/09 05:37 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Fraggin said:

Can you prove that there's even a such thing?

We as in teh collective we. The dumbest in invalids to most genius of physisists.

Quote:

Fraggin said:

Can you elaborate on this statement?

I've stated it as simple as I possibly can.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11421439 - 11/09/09 09:30 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fraggin said:
We as in teh collective we. The dumbest in invalids to most genius of physisists.

What about that fly that exists somewhere on a rock in Yosemite valley--is that thing part of this "collective consciousness"?

Quote:

Fraggin said:

Can you give some examples, then?

What do you mean by "subjective system"?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: Tropism]
    #11421476 - 11/09/09 09:34 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tropism said:
Imagine you are an alien species that happens to stumble on our planet. What do you find?
A bunch of tool using primates who believe the universe was created soley for them and their desires, and better yet, it was created by a giant being who is in their image.

:cuckoo:

Word

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#11421789 - 11/09/09 10:08 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Fraggin said:

What about that fly that exists somewhere on a rock in Yosemite valley--is that thing part of this "collective consciousness"?

Quote:

Fraggin said:

Can you give some examples, then?

Wave function collapse.

What do you mean by "subjective system"?

Buy a dictionary. They're Marvelous objective systems.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11421845 - 11/09/09 10:13 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

From Wave function collapse - Wikipedia:
Quote:

In quantum mechanics, wave function collapse (also called collapse of the state vector or reduction of the wave packet) is the process by which a wave function, initially in a superposition of different eigenstates, appears to reduce to a single one of the states after interaction with an observer. In simplified terms, it is the condensation of physical possibilities into a single occurrence, as seen by an observer. It is one of two processes by which quantum systems evolve in time according to the laws of quantum mechanics as presented by John von Neumann. The reality of wave function collapse has always been debated, i.e., whether it is a fundamental physical phenomenon in its own right or just an epiphenomenon of another process, such as quantum decoherence. In recent decades the quantum decoherence view has gained popularity. Collapse may be understood as a change in conditional probabilities.

Quote:

Fraggin said:

So why can one not simultaneously experience & understand a subjective system (e.g.- wave function collapse)? What about experiencing a subjective system prohibits one from understanding said system? Why does understanding a subjective system prohibit one from experiencing said system?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #11421868 - 11/09/09 10:15 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I'm the most important and beautiful :kiss: being in this entire universe!

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: deff]
    #11421894 - 11/09/09 10:17 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

^ Thats the spirit!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delusional Narcissistic Cosmic Significance [Re: deff]
    #11421896 - 11/09/09 10:18 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

That's deff the trooff, nigga! :macdre:

:hehehe:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology