Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Peat, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Planning a Mono
    #11281334 - 10/20/09 01:27 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Okay, so maybe I just smoked too much today, but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for in the search. Recently I started 8 jars of ATL 7 for those spiffy stones. I used rye berries, soaking in coffee, tablespoon of gypsum. The jars are colonized very fast.

Anyway, to the point (told you I smoked too much today), I am looking at moving away from BRF cakes and towards monotubs. First I need some clarification.

1. Do I make the substrate (I'm looking towards coir, verm, coffee to avoid bringing poo into my apartment), pasteurize it, and then put it in the bottom of the tub? Do I put it in there wet or dry? I'm just having a hard time figuring this stuff out, and I don't know why.

2. I then spawn whatever I'm spawning over that layer, correct? Do I cover the spawn with a non-nutrient layer, like verm?

3. It's my understanding that the lid is -not- taken off at all? I understand the holes filled with polyfill give FAE, awesome, but what about misting? I mean, I do have a humidifier and I'm sure I could rig it up, but in case a humidifier is not available?

Sorry for being such a damn noob, I swear I looked quite a bit into the search. I probably just searched the wrong words. I just want to know everything someone would need to know from point A to point Z before jumping in and doing something stupid. Hehe, next time I'll try not to think of this stuff after smoking some good shit. :stoned:

--------------------
:thumbup: Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? :mushroom2:

October PES HW Grow

My thread on Sleep Paralysis - Please contribute!

The smell of sunshine, I remember sometimes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Planning a Mono [Re: Leap]
    #11281351 - 10/20/09 01:33 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

1. field capacity sub mix it up with your spawn or layer it btw aged manure doesnt smell well smells like potting soil

2.  You dont need to case ccv

3. you dont need to mist a tub but you have to dial it in which is finding the correct amount of holes for the tub

BTW I dont beleive stones do well in tubs but dont quote me on this

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineDescartes
Wittgensteinian
Male

Loc: somewhere pleasant
Re: Planning a Mono [Re: truskool]
    #11281689 - 10/20/09 02:36 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I'm in your shoes right now, just about a week ahead (I'm doing my first bulk grow, just got my 6 syringes in the mail, gunna inoc 36 quart jars and spawn to 6 different bins)

Let me see if i can give you a decent perspective, forgive my noobiness as well ^__^

MONOTUB : http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8231041#8231041

The idea is that your going to colonize the substrate (coir/v/c) with your Rye berries. As far as pasteurizing goes, use this tek :

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7953949/an/0/page/0

After its pasteurized, and youve got your bin made up, you can mix in the substrate/spawn in two ways. You can either put all that shit in there, then mix it up by hand (making sure its still fluffy, not packed) or layer it inch by inch (1 inch sub, 1 inch spawn, you get the idea). It's important to make sure its nice and even to get a nice pinset.

If you search these things its not really sure what works best. Either way, people generally agree that you want to add a "Frosting Layer" on top after its either mixed or layered. Basically, just save some of your spawn to sprinkle on top and even out. I'm doing 6 quarts spawn, mixing in 5 then frosting the last one. After thats all worked out, you have to give the bin another week or so to colonize, so put it back in colonizing conditions.

Also, some people Case there monotubs. Basically, your just adding another layer of shit on top of it all. This layer would be made of things like verm, peat moss, stuff like that. Again, wether or not this is necessary is debated as well. Personally, im not casing.

As far as misting goes, if you get all that down perfectly then you shouldn't have to at all. The polyfil wont let any moisture out, and theres plenty of water in the spawn/substrate to last. In between flushes you do have to rehydrate the whole tub though. The basic idea is to either have a see-through bin or some sort of viewing system so you dont have to expose the whole thing to airborne contaminates.

What im doing right now (and what i recomend you do also) is just reading peoples Bulk grow logs. Alot of people are rocking the monotub. Check out large_dose 's bulk grows, because that guy is the monotub MASTER.

If you got any more questions, ill help as best I can.
-nick

--------------------
The world is a totality of facts, not of things.

Offlineepistasthai
Stranger

Re: Planning a Mono [Re: Descartes]
    #11282012 - 10/20/09 04:05 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Descartes said:
Either way, people generally agree that you want to add a "Frosting Layer" on top after its either mixed or layered. Basically, just save some of your spawn to sprinkle on top and even out. I'm doing 6 quarts spawn, mixing in 5 then frosting the last one.

I know this is recommended by some people. It even shows up in a few TC's monotub/bulk teks. I'm not saying that it can't work, and work well. And if you've had good luck with it, then stick with it.

However, in my opinion, it's not the best advice for coir based bulk for at least the following reasons.

First. By adding a frosting layer, the top will colonize faster. Although this is supposed to make the substrate more resistant to contaminants, it definitely makes it harder to tell when you've reached full colonization.

Second. It seems to make it more difficult to get a good pinset. Remember, in the not too distant past, people were using coir as a casing layer. Part of why I think you'll get a better pinset without a frosting layer is that by putting a light layer of bulk substrate on top, you end up with a better consistency on top--one that is lighter, more airy, holds moisture better, etc.

Third. If you simply mix spawn into the bulk substrate evenly, you'll still end up some some grain at the top such that it'll still colonize relatively quickly. Moreover, coir is pretty resistant to contaminants so long as it has been properly pasteurized. A better strategy for avoiding contaminates would probably be to balance the pH to between 7 and 8.

(Descartes: do you actually hold that 'everything' has only facts in its extension? or do you just like proposition 1.1?)

Edited by epistasthai (10/20/09 04:24 AM)

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning a Mono [Re: epistasthai]
    #11282478 - 10/20/09 09:12 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a TON everyone, this has definitely answered my questions (though it likely helps I'm in my right mind today).

To clarify, I'm not using monotub to make stones, though I can see where you got that. But I do plan on spawning some of this ATL 7 sometime, it's more for if I get prints with my PES HW cakes or the next time I order prints. I'm just making a transition from BRF cakes to other grow types.

As a disclaimer though, I'm not knocking BRF at all. When done right, it's a decent method. Anyone with anymore helpful advice, feel free to let me know here, but I think from this point on it's going to be more trial and error than anything.

--------------------
:thumbup: Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? :mushroom2:

October PES HW Grow

My thread on Sleep Paralysis - Please contribute!

The smell of sunshine, I remember sometimes.

OfflineDescartes
Wittgensteinian
Male

Loc: somewhere pleasant
Re: Planning a Mono [Re: Leap]
    #11284489 - 10/20/09 04:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

epist, good to see another person who enjoys the Tractatus. I follow Wittgenstein I's beliefs pretty closely, and "The World is all that is the case" and "The world is the totality of facts, not of things" sum up a great perspective of physical relationships. Those two sentences encompass a lot, (obviously, considering there location in the book lol), so i thought it fitting to use one of them as my signature.

As for frosting, i think youve just made a believer out of me :]

Gunna' go downstairs and work on a few pounds of seed.

-nick

--------------------
The world is a totality of facts, not of things.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Peat, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation