Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreeceMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery
Rotting? mold?
    #11278431 - 10/19/09 04:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, i picked and identified some Weilii and as they were drying out for spore prints one of the stems got this white film of something that appeared, ive never seen it before and im wondering what it is, it was only these two stems that are attached together.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Rotting? mold? [Re: GreeceMonkey]
    #11278618 - 10/19/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GreeceMonkey said:
Hey, i picked and identified some Weilii and as they were drying out for spore prints one of the stems got this white film of something that appeared, ive never seen it before and im wondering what it is, it was only these two stems that are attached together.

EDIT: If it's a white film, it's most likely a mold. I wouldn't eat it, but to each his own.

--------------------
]

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Rotting? mold? [Re: Ieponumos]
    #11278638 - 10/19/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

def mold. dont eat it.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

OfflineGreeceMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Rotting? mold? [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #11278728 - 10/19/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thought so thanks, any idea what caused it tho, nothing else drying out did it

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#11278746 - 10/19/09 05:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GreeceMonkey said:
Thought so thanks, any idea what caused it tho, nothing else drying out did it

Maybe, since the two stems were fused, some mold spores got ahold of some moisture on the fruit body and got a foothold from there.

--------------------
]

OfflineGreeceMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #11278775 - 10/19/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Those Bastards

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #11278796 - 10/19/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you dont get your specimens under a fan or get them drying quickly they can mold.. I lost a bunch of Cubensis that I found in the rain to white mold.. I just could not get them dry fast enough and had to throw them all away.. Im my own opinion drying mushrooms is almost tougher than finding them! As far as Mold and Maggots!:wink:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#11278802 - 10/19/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GreeceMonkey said:
Those Bastards

Much agreed.

--------------------
]

OfflineGreeceMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Rotting? mold? [Re: YESSUP]
    #11278916 - 10/19/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

YESSUP said:
If you dont get your specimens under a fan or get them drying quickly they can mold.. I lost a bunch of Cubensis that I found in the rain to white mold.. I just could not get them dry fast enough and had to throw them all away.. Im my own opinion drying mushrooms is almost tougher than finding them! As far as Mold and Maggots!:wink:

Thanks, i picked these in the exact same spot as a few weeks ago except i picked these ones earlier because last time the print i got was very pitiful and i wanted spores for later, last time they were already slightly dried up

OfflineGreeceMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #11278955 - 10/19/09 05:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Also, if the caps do get mold on them, if i move them now will the spores still be ok?

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

#11278967 - 10/19/09 05:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yay for a dehydrator :dancer:

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: Rotting? mold? [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #11279224 - 10/19/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomanizer said:
yay for a dehydrator :dancer:

Man I hate myself for throwing an old one away a few years back... I do recall they put out a tad bit of heat. Do you find potency issues by using heat? 
My method is to cut the caps and lay them out spaced apart due to wandering maggots. I roll the caps and inspect them every few hours again due to bug control and to look for any signs of mold.. I also cut the stems and open them up looking for any critters that are migrating up the stem.

Once 99% dry I store them in a gallon can half filled with silica.. Mushrooms isolated from the silica:wink:
They store well and hold potency for at least a year..

Wild Harvested mushrooms can be a pain in the ass.. I feel they take a bunch of constant supervision in order to controll issues such as the stated above...

Im totally ready to get back into cultivation:thumbup:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

#11279856 - 10/19/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

personally out of 3 years hunting almost every day...iv only had 3 particular mushrooms contaminated with maggots or worms...iv been very lucky. and i normaly do the "Over-night" test to see if maggots are around while spore printing, but no problems. My favorite is to use a fan, and for Amanita Muscaria--(My speciality) i mix heat with a fan and dry them indoors.  Just eat them fresh and use your imagination, pretend their not infected with extra protein organisims.:stoned:

--------------------
Trading Prints

Invisiblenorthgahunt
Genesis 1:30, 9:3

#11280006 - 10/19/09 08:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

YESSUP said:

i have used a dehumidifier in the room, and this help out tremendously, still takes a few days but keeps the moisture way down.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order