Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS?
    #11278152 - 10/19/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I searched and found a lot of people arguing against the use of HPS for initiating pinning with P. cubensis, but didn't find any success/failure stories. Mostly people saying "blue spectrum is better, use a CFL."  I'd like to know if anyone has successfully (or unsuccessfully) grown under a HPS, and how that went. 

i.e. Assuming your light intensity is right, is it possible, or are issues with the spectrum so dramatic that growth of properly developed mushrooms is prevented?

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: Horticulture]
    #11278165 - 10/19/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

your going to get way better results wih a cfl  you prolly dont see good results cause there aint any

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
    #11278192 - 10/19/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

a simple 60 watt bulb in the room with ample area for light to enter the fc or tub is good enough ... its not like growing bud lol ..  gl to you

Offlinelmfsmoke
Stranger

Loc: SoCal, LA
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: cyantific]
    #11278277 - 10/19/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah i wouldnt buy a hps light just for pinning, its a total waste of money and florecent bulbs at 6000k are ideal anyways and those are way cheaper

--------------------
Genesis 1:29 - Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you"

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: lmfsmoke]
    #11278453 - 10/19/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The issue is optimal usage of resources.  If I didn't already own an HPS, I wouldn't be asking.  I think I'll try anyway, since I can't seem to get the sort of answer I'm looking for (proof of failure or success). If I lose a cake or two, so be it.  It'd be worth knowing to me.  I'll tell you how it goes.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #11278463 - 10/19/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think why your not getting the response that you want is cause its mostly failure.  Ppl don't want to post about failure too much.

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
    #11278535 - 10/19/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Horticulture said:
The issue is optimal usage of resources.  If I didn't already own an HPS, I wouldn't be asking.  I think I'll try anyway, since I can't seem to get the sort of answer I'm looking for (proof of failure or success). If I lose a cake or two, so be it.  It'd be worth knowing to me.  I'll tell you how it goes.

i just think its too moot of a point to worry about ... they really dont require that much light or any specific kind ... i do know that the heat generated by hid lights would be an unwanted byproduct during the fruiting process unless you had them in a cold area to begin with and the results or lack of results aren't worth the extra electricity costs

Offlinekechlesurf
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11278557 - 10/19/09 04:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

isnt the blue spectra what mushrooms do best on, and if that is true, metal halide would be the best.  But i just use a fluorescent

OfflineNoOneKnowsHowToAct
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: kechlesurf]
    #11278571 - 10/19/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Any kind of HID lighting would be overkill imo. Mushrooms aren't plants. Mushrooms aren't converting light into energy.

--------------------
Winner of 2 of TacoHerder's 2 cultivation contests!
Most recent contest posts:
inoculation
Ready for spawning
Substrate done colonizing
Pins
Pins #2
First flush

OfflineSpencetron
Stranger

#11278617 - 10/19/09 04:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you already have a HPS, you probably have at LEAST a 150 watter. Well, you might run a 70W, but id assume you have a stronger bulb. You might even have  a 200, 400, 600, or 1000 watt light. What im saying is that that is a lot of energy wasted just to grow some cubensis. Go buy a 26 watt 6000k clf and save yourself the energy bill. Not to mention the heat HPS bulbs put off, that may seriously alter temperature and humidity of your grow room.

Offlinekechlesurf
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11278635 - 10/19/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"the best type of light tube is one which most closely resembles natural outdoor light: i.e. one that has at least 140 microwatts per 10 nanometer per lumen of blue spectra (440-495 nm)"
-Paul Stamets pg 76

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11278964 - 10/19/09 05:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Horticulture said:

The light bulb you need is $3.99. If you can't spare your time and resourced for a correct light bulb I doubt you will see very good results. I bet you use more $5 in electricity in a months time running that HPS. Why not just go buy the proper thing to do. If I were trying to grow bud indoors I wouldn't use my florescent or an incandescent bulb just because I have some.

Offlinekechlesurf
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: daytripper05]
    #11279272 - 10/19/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

daytripper05 said:
Quote:

Horticulture said:

The light bulb you need is $3.99. If you can't spare your time and resourced for a correct light bulb I doubt you will see very good results. I bet you use more $5 in electricity in a months time running that HPS. Why not just go buy the proper thing to do. If I were trying to grow bud indoors I wouldn't use my florescent or an incandescent bulb just because I have some.

agree, the cheap shit works fine,

Offlineoxalic32
Male

Loc: .
    #11279283 - 10/19/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

HPS use a lot of power and make a lot of heat. You wouldnt want them for mushrooms.

HPS is for growing nugget.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: NoOneKnowsHowToAct]
    #11279548 - 10/19/09 07:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NoOneKnowsHowToAct said:
Any kind of HID lighting would be overkill imo. Mushrooms aren't plants. Mushrooms aren't converting light into energy.

Says who?

I think it's pretty damned obvious that mycelium is converting light into some other form of energy that is useful to it.  Mushrooms grown with proper lighting pin more prolifically, grow fatter and meatier with considerably more finish weight, and are more vigorous and healthy looking.

It's worthless to compare mushrooms to plants.  Mycelium is as different from plants as we are.  The absence of photosynthesis doesn't mean the mycelium isn't deriving energy from the light.

To answer the original poster, you'll get mushrooms from the HPS.  It will make up somewhat in intensity what it lacks in proper spectrum.  I've had excellent results with a 400 watt MH which was already running in the room anyway.  MH is around 4,000 Kelvin,  which is closer to what we're looking for than an HPS which tends to run around 2700 Kelvin.  As said above, unless you're already running the HPS for something else, get a fluorescent fixture and save the HPS for another day.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinephish_drox
Male

Loc: Upper left
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11620985 - 12/09/09 11:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I was wondering if it would be alright to put my terrarium next to a couple of plants under a 400 watt HPS in a closet? Would it be too hot? (9 cakes would be about 32 inches away from the light) The light is on 12/12 flowering the plants. It would just be easier, the closet is the only heated room in the apt, because of the light.

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: phish_drox]
    #11621308 - 12/10/09 01:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

what is the temp in there? is the light on a cycle? it sould work if the temp isn't above 90, and if the light isn't always on you should be golden. GL

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: DanKnugget]
    #11621541 - 12/10/09 03:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldnt keep a terrarium in the same place as growing plants. Soil grows trich (which is benificial to plants)

And yes yoiu dont want the light to heat your terrarium up too much.

Personaly i much preferred natural daylight, i was getting the best looking and meaty fruits when using bright daylight :-)

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinephish_drox
Male

Loc: Upper left
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #11622754 - 12/10/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. The light in only on 11am to 11pm and there will be a white lid on the terrarium. The warmest it gets in the closet is 80 degrees.

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: So, has anyone successfully cropped with HPS? [Re: phish_drox]
    #11624130 - 12/10/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

this should work out, as the guy above said, watch out for trich(green mold).

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds