Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
failure?
    #11277453 - 10/19/09 03:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i had an unsuccessful grow over this summer where my brf cakes were colonizing well, then during a 1 week stint of high temps and humidity they grew a snot-like slime with a strong, sour, barfy smell. when i birthed them and tried to cut off the stank, found that the smell went all the way to the core, tossed 'em all out. i recently birthed new cakes to find most of them fine, but a few with that snot slightly developing at the bottom of the jar. i have cut off the bases and detect only the slightest hint of that smell, very faint. my question is, from peoples experience, will these contam'd (to what extent i do not know) cakes become total failures and even ruin the healthy ones? thanks for any help :smile:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: failure? [Re: masspan]
    #11277516 - 10/19/09 03:42 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like your making the cakes to wet. Are you following the 2 parts verm to 1 part water to 1 part brow rice flour ratios. Also keep them at room temp 75ish while colonizing. 

Also if your using a pot with a lid to sterilize steam them for 90 minutes even if you have a PC do it for 90.

Anything with that sour rotten smell is a bacterial contam I would personally not keep around

Edited by Shea25 (10/19/09 03:46 PM)

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Re: failure? [Re: Shea25]
    #11277602 - 10/19/09 03:56 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i am being as faithful to the tek as possible (my very 1st grow went flawlessly), and the smell is extremely faint, very faint, my question is will these cakes 'recover' after i've cut off major portions of the suspect contam? will they fall prey to this stinky crud and ruin the others? thanks :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11277613 - 10/19/09 03:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I would think that since they have a bacterial contam that its there for good. I am not sure on how its spreads

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Re: failure? [Re: Shea25]
    #11280680 - 10/19/09 11:34 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, sounds like it's too wet and any time you smell something that doesn't smell like a mushroom, toss it. I would not advise trying to salvage the cake. Sure you can try it, but why risk your health bro? Is a hospital trip really worth the $5 dollars in materials you used?

Make more and try using just a LITTLE bit less water.

When I make my cakes, I use the same exact ratio, but end up adding just a little bit more verm and a little less water. I also use filtered water. If you have a water softener or use city water, perhaps perhaps going with bottled water will help.

How long are you sterilizing for? Are you using a pressure cooker or a regular pot?

I use a regular pot, drop a metal plate on top, and then put the pot top on there with a towel I cut in half over the top to help keep the steam in. I let that bitch slow boil for a good hour, then open the top, pour more water in to account for the amount of water boiled out, and then run the bitch on high for 30-45min covered up as I've already described.

So far (knock on mycelium) I haven't had ANY contams yet. I also noc up the jars under the stove with the vent on and spray the area with Lysol thoroughly.

Try to find a place in your home that's a little cooler. Put the jars into a sealed Tupperware container and put it on the floor. I stress to you a SEALED container because there are supposedly 90% more contams resting on the floor than up high. Keep it low to benefit from cooler temps. I incubate 70-75 degrees until it's colonized most of the jar. Then bring it up to 75-80 to speed it up to the final stage.

Hope this helps! good luck bro!

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Re: failure? [Re: po0dingles]
    #11282454 - 10/20/09 09:04 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the feedback, i will keep you posted :smile:

--------------------

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #11284686 - 10/20/09 04:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

If you have a wet patch at the bottom of the jar, like everyone says reduce the water content.

BUT you can keep those cakes, just cut off the infected areas making sure that you cut from clean to infected area and avoid touching the clean uninfected area with your hands after touching the infected area.

Bacteria will not spread like molds do it is more about physical transfer on your hands or in water.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Re: failure? [Re: solumvita]
    #11308074 - 10/23/09 08:52 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

so, apparently was able to cut off the smelly bits and things are looking just fine. i did a previous batch that stunk to high hell. as a learning experience, these did not smell 'that' bad, and they seemingly got healthy once leaving the jars, good to know. initial smell of sweet apples, now quite shroomey, JAH!

--------------------

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #11309790 - 10/24/09 03:59 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

good, progress - that sweet apple smell is my sure sign of bacterial contamination.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlinemasspan
chemin eclair
 User Gallery

Re: failure? [Re: solumvita]
    #11310464 - 10/24/09 09:13 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

i was equally worried, but equally relieved when it dissipated, and elevated since they have begun to pin, so, life is good :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum