Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: 5-HTP, Melatonin, Syrian Rue

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
On Combining: Syrian rue, D.MT. and melatonin
    #11277321 - 10/19/09 03:13 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I have taken fairly decent doses of melatonin (21-30 mg), waited 30 minutes, and smoked D.M.T

I can say that the effects of the D.M.T. rolled in more slowly as I was able to take seven decent rips in my convenience store one dollar psychedelic crack pipe.

I would lay down in bed while staring at the intricate purple Tibetan mandala that is tacked into the ceiling.

The elephants have a tendency to walk around the mandala even when you're not on drugs.

It is difficult to describe what the mandala is doing at this point.

I close my eyes and feel "acceleration".  Everything is neon and geometric.  This is much more visual than other smoked D.M.T. experiences.  It has a lucid quality to it.  I mean that it seems that it is easier to perceive and recall what was seen.

It's like passing through different kinds of space where things open up funny.

Coming back feels like passing through or into a square that falls into the forehead.

I am pondering a combination of syrian rue, D.M.T., and melatonin.  I don't know if melatonin can be taken with an MAOI because seratonin is used to make melatonin endogenously.  Seratonin is a no-no with MAOI because seratonin syndrome can be fatal.  A little seratonin syndrome can give you severe vasoconstriction.

I am interested in y'alls opinion on combining peganum harmala (3 grams in a tea), with melatonin, and D.M.T. (say, a few hundred mgs for a test).

Perhaps it would be best to take the melatonin after the MAOI isn't active, say one hour after ingestion of rue?

Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsychonaut52
Stranger
Male

Loc: The Amazon Jungle
Re: On Combining: Syrian rue, D.MT. and melatonin [Re: Mr.Al]
    #11277440 - 10/19/09 03:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't recommend combining MAOIs and melatonin. From Wikipedia's entry on MAOIs:

Quote:

MAOIs act by inhibiting the activity of monoamine oxidase, thus preventing the breakdown of monoamine neurotransmitters and thereby increasing their availability. There are two isoforms of monoamine oxidase, MAO-A and MAO-B. MAO-A preferentially deaminates serotonin, melatonin, epinephrine and norepinephrine.

In other words... MAOIs do the same thing to melatonin as they do to serotonin. Then again, since melatonin is synthesized from serotonin and not the other way around (as far as I know), you probably won't be risking serotonin syndrome.

If you do decide to combine an MAOI with melatonin, I would recommend trying it on its own BEFORE adding any DMT and using a very, very low dose of melatonin first before even attempting to gradually work up to a more normal dose.

--------------------
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
-Buddha

COGNITIVE LIBERTY NOW!

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Re: On Combining: Syrian rue, D.MT. and melatonin [Re: psychonaut52]
    #11277492 - 10/19/09 03:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I am somewhat concerned about the relationship between melatonin and seratonin given that seratonin should never be taken with an MAOI.

I think my stomach would have a sufficient amount of MAO one hour after rue ingestion.

Maybe:

Ingest rue,

Wait 30 minutes.

Ingest D.M.T.

Wait thirty minutes.

Ingest melatonin.

What do you think?

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male

Loc: Samsara
Re: On Combining: Syrian rue, D.MT. and melatonin [Re: Mr.Al]
    #11278577 - 10/19/09 06:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think you are flattening the DMT experience with the melatonin, not enhancing it.  When I took 5-HTP (hydroxytryptophan, a perfectly legal dietary supplement) it completely killed my DMT response.  Dead.  Nada.

I think you are partially inhibiting the effect of DMT through the same mechanism.  The chemical cascade in your brain is as follows:  5-HTP ---> Melatonin ---> Serotonin.  Instead of starting at 5-HTP (like I did) you are starting at step 2, Melatonin.

You are artificially raising your Serotonin level with the Melatonin, and thereby BLUNTING the effects of the DMT, which has to knock more molecules off your receptor sites in order to have its effect...that is why you end up taking 7 hits, and have only modest effects.  You are essentially flattening the Bell curve.  Slower to peak, lower peak, slower to baseline.

As you noted (and I would expect) you may be able to remember more, and the come-up will be less abrupt by pre-medicating with Melatonin, but I'm also willing to bet it was YESTERDAY'S dose that affected today's DMT.  Melatonin to Serotonin just doesn't happen that fast (30 minutes) to a significant degree.

Best regards,

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Re: On Combining: Syrian rue, D.MT. and melatonin [Re: Nature Boy]
    #11282147 - 10/20/09 05:03 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You might be right...

The come up is slower.

The experience does last longer.

I was definitely tripping ridiculously hard though.

It was qualitatively different.

It would be good to have other people's input on trying it out...

Edited by Mr.Al (10/20/09 05:04 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: 5-HTP, Melatonin, Syrian Rue

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience