Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArathu
Stranger than some I suppose!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in PA
Northern European use of Psycho actives
    #11274421 - 10/18/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hello everybody,
Anyone interested in possibly exploring the historical use of substances in the ancient European world? I am personally quite interested in the use of ASoC (altered states of consciousness)as it relates to ancient magic, seidhr, and traditional northern shamanism.

Does anyone have any resources they can point me to or will I be journeying ALONE, pupils REALLY WIDE OPENED, and giggling......?

What is the historical record, if there is any, of the use of psychoactive substances in ancient Europe? Ergot in rye? The holy mead snatched by Odhin? Anyone know of mushroom use and native European species?

Far out!
Arathu

--------------------
Have you seen what the "leaders" of the world have done? And they call me strange! :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
Re: Northern European use of Psycho actives [Re: Arathu]
    #11274503 - 10/18/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I had this essay from my Art history class that theorized how shamans and ancient civilizations used psychedelics for spiritual reasons and as rites of passages. They connect the ancient cave paintings with psychedelic use and the author tries to explain how and why certain cave paintings were made.

If I find the paper, I'll let you know the author and where to get it.

--------------------
-

InvisibleEntersandman
Wings of Tomorrow
Male User Gallery

Loc: behind the border
Re: Northern European use of Psycho actives [Re: Dynoo]
    #11275591 - 10/19/09 03:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

there are theories about northern tribes (especially Vikings) who used Fly Agaric to join the otherworld.
some time ago i posted this question in a german pagan forum but the guys couldn´t help me...

i wonder if "Wotan´s flesh" is a neo-pagan term or an ancient name for Amanita muscaria...

nonetheless i am planning a trip to the ancient times to seek the truth!

Heilsa! :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineotispicks
Stranger
Male

Loc: canada Flag
Re: Northern European use of Psycho actives [Re: Entersandman]
    #11275596 - 10/19/09 03:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My dad said his mom used to make a stew with fly agaric,that was only for special occasions and "only for adults "  He is Latvian.

--------------------
Seize the carp

OfflineArathu
Male User Gallery

Re: Northern European use of Psycho actives [Re: otispicks]
    #11275725 - 10/19/09 05:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Very cool all,
I'll be researching this pretty heavy so I'll post updates and info as I find it. Maybe even an experiential report or two....depending on what the spirits have to say......... :-)

--------------------
Have you seen what the "leaders" of the world have done? And they call me strange! :mushroom2:

Offlinelaotzo
Struggling with Math
Male

Loc: Texas, poo country Flag
    #11276051 - 10/19/09 08:25 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Look for a book called "Soma", I think by Wasserman (??) ....written probably 40+ years ago...he was one of the first to really investigate and popularize his findings on the entheogenic use of the amanita muscaria in Siberian, Kamchatka Peninsula, and East Indian native tribes, just before most of them died out. There are also wonderful examinations of the little anthropological evidence from the previous century. Overall, both a good review up to that point, and new data and ideas that ultimately became very important.

Wonderful, scholarly, yet first person account of a passionate amateur mycologist chasing a magic mushroom no one else even thought was psychoactive, much less historically significant and proving the experts wrong.

In fact, that book is why I want to do more than just consume mushrooms now...*grin*.

laotzo:jah:

--------------------
if you can't beat them, arrange to have it done.

george carlin...RIP:heart:

laotzo

OfflineArathu
Male User Gallery

Re: Northern European use of Psycho actives [Re: laotzo]
    #11276496 - 10/19/09 10:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

laotzo...thank you for that lead......

Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, (Ethno-Mycological Studies) (Paperback)
by Robert Gordon Wasson 
Robert Gordon Wasson (Author)

It is on my purchase list now plus it lead to a bunch of other hits I'll be looking at as well. Thanks again!

Yes indeed I have also crossed beyond simple recreational activities as well.

Wassail!

Arathu

--------------------

OfflineArathu
Male User Gallery

#11276552 - 10/19/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

@Everyone,
Thanks for the responses. I think this is a VERY fascinating direction to take things. I personally feel, and have experienced especially with mushrooms, very deep spiritual insights that go way beyond things I would consider recreational although I have my share of fun as well. But where I am personally is exploring much deeper meanings in my own ethno-traditional spirituality. Where would things have gone without the influence of Christianity? Or perhaps the coming of Christianity was a necessary phase of sorts in the ongoing development of such things. I know one thing for sure........people from every place on earth and from every culture have MANY methods of altering consciousness for a myriad of reasons from pure fun to pure religion and everything in between.

It is good to be here!

Arathu

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder