Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Fire Pasteurization (bulk)
    #11271547 - 10/18/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ANyone who has done bulk pasteurization over a fire care to comment on how they manage temperature?
Is saw a post by Buckeye Oysters talking about boiling the water in a stock tank and then putting the fire out and soon adding one pot of boiling water to each tank.
Sounds like sterilization but works for him!
any other ideas?
thanks
RPVerm

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Fire Pasteurization (bulk) [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11273248 - 10/18/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Its not Sterilization, he is just super pasteurizing it.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Fire Pasteurization (bulk) [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #11275920 - 10/19/09 07:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

We heat water in a 150 gallon boiler with a fire box under it and then pump the water into a stock tank(100g) with the straw in it. It takes a whole lot of wood but we can pasteurize between 8-10 bales in a day.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Fire Pasteurization (bulk) [Re: b3jamboree]
    #11275967 - 10/19/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow! After you pump the water into the stock tank do you just let it sit for 1h and 1/2?

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11276032 - 10/19/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am thinking of building a bulk container.. my 2- 5 gallon buckets are no longer cutting it. I was thinking a plastic outdoor garbage can, with a steamer pipe plumbed in..? possibly plumbed into the bottom, then some kind of slightly raised shelf just above the pipe to let it breath out, then into the sub. Like a chicken wire and screen platform just a few inches off the bottom..

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Fire Pasteurization (bulk) [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11276036 - 10/19/09 08:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

sounds cool, but my worry about plastic was that high temps would cause it to leak some chemicals into the straw/coir/manure whatever..
have you read anything about this?

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276039 - 10/19/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I assume its the same as using the plastic 5 gallon buckets I have been.. they get soft at 170f.. but I hadn't thought of a chemical transfer.. I have been eating the fruits  :puke: dont get me paranoid!! lol

Not sure.

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276041 - 10/19/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lots of people do this in tubs and buckets.. I can't imagine its any different.

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276052 - 10/19/09 08:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lots of people are ignorant...no offense:grin:

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276080 - 10/19/09 08:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I guess with chemical release found in both plastic and metal.. that leaves you glass and propane heat..? Don't know what to say, I guess if looking for it, a fault can be found in all methods.. type of wood in the fire releasing chemicals.. etc..

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276100 - 10/19/09 08:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

A bit disappointing isn't it?
Some metals and plastic leech a lot less than others.
It would be pretty sweet to have a big glass vat :crazy2:`

what about a big ceramic pot? or does clay crack with boiling water?

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276118 - 10/19/09 08:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Clay pot may be a good answer.. I believe it takes extreme temps to break that down. Seeing how hot the kilns are that dry it, I imagine a steady 160 shouldnt affect it.. I imagine.

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276123 - 10/19/09 08:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think some tribes and woodsy folks use them to cook over open fires..

Here is one on a propane burner being used

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276126 - 10/19/09 08:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276162 - 10/19/09 09:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So the level of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins (PCDD's) in processed clay was detectable according to that study.
Do you think that clay was treated with something?
Was the clay retreived from near by a factory or city?

Here is what wikipedia says about PCDD's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_dibenzodioxins)

Agent Orange is an infamous dioxin...

I don't think dioxins are naturally occurring, but it says in the article volcanoes and forest fires contribute a little. However, the source is an article from sciencedirect that you have to pay $32 for to read.

Dioxins are found more in plastics than in ceramic i'll tell ya that!

So I hope to build a giant ceramic pot one day knowing that it came from the arth and not a factory. Unless i know the factory it comes from and trust the processors i will just have to live in container purgatory

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276182 - 10/19/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with this earthy alternative.. and it works for many for cooking. A huge clay pot has me intrigued as well, if anything, it's that final leap into full organic. I do have an aunt that makes pottery at home, full kiln.. the works.. She is as hippie as it gets. I will talk to her about the compounds, like you say, if its pure natural pottery, its a win. But.. I also believe these alternatives exist with plastics and metals.. but the cost of something like that will be way higher than natural pottery. Just picture a big witches kettle type design, made from this. I can see that, it would be relatively costly and fragile, but that can be worked around with some local research.

Work it out man!

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276206 - 10/19/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's incredible. Spend some time with your aunt. learn about pottery and you get a giant vat in the long run! That would set you good for SO many things! I dream of that.
I know some people with mad good primitive and non-primitive clay skills. I hope to learn about making clay pots soooon.

I saw a lady make an oven/stove out of clay from the ground within 3 days. She was cooking in it and everything. I imagine she could have done it in a bigger fashion..
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

Edited by RonPaulVerm (10/19/09 09:30 AM)

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276312 - 10/19/09 09:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

we are taking a trip to see her in January.. that is my specific goal.. to do some pottery. Maybe I can work out the vat then :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276315 - 10/19/09 09:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just need to pasteurize enough to fill 16 7" x 24" logs at a time.. I think I can get it done.

--------------------

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #11279165 - 10/19/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I use a food grade 55 gallon drum.  It has a liner of some type in it, and it was once used to store cooking oil waste.  The lid has gummed on cooking oil crud on it, which is just yummy.  I'm thinking of setting an oyster block on the gooey spot to see if the oysters will eat it off.

It that works, maybe I can use oysters to clean those oil patches off of the driveway...

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate