Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Need Ideas - Software Development
    #11273855 - 10/18/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I feel the need to put together a portfolio of things, to link to on my CV that i will put online.
I'm nearing the end of my study (though still have a lot of learning to go in the next two months, the most in my entire diploma come to think of it, wish it were spread out more, heh)

I'm currently doing C# .NET windows and client based application development, I'll leave out the web related stuff for now.

So far i've made:
a Slideshow presenter almost finished. rather simple, got bored of it though, so i don't know if ill ever finish, i didn't realise this would take so long, i keep thinking of new things to add to it, but don't particularly care about it!!!

and a custom shaped windows form (a quarter circle pie piece shape), which i may make a service, its skinnable, has transparency control, monitors CPU and memory usage, shows time, date etc... really basic,
merely part of my portfolio to show creativity in gui design.

However, im out of ideas. But, I believe i should make something more corporate or science and technology based. Like a statistical application or something...

I feel i need to add to my portfolio a useful application that involves use of a fair degree of maths,
uses custom user security settings,
uses a database,
and uses encryption of files specific to that application.

any ideas of what i should look at, look into, even something thats already been done?
Something still relatively basic.
nothing to hard that requires a team or anything of course.
The maths and database are crucial, the other two are not so important, but i can always add some feature to utilise those anyway.

I've made basic calculators, and i'm ruling out making another one, however complex. I'd rather it be something industry or job-specific.

any ideas?

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Need Ideas - Software Development [Re: flangenips]
    #11276706 - 10/19/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

make me an app that scrapes all my scrobblings from last.fm and makes a never-ending (and never in the same order) playlist from my own (or anybody's) local music library based on that data.  give me the ability to assign attributes to tracks and groups of tracks and then make rules based on those attributes.

and pack my bong :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Need Ideas - Software Development [Re: moeshroom]
    #11278706 - 10/19/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The growth of mobile devices is going to be enormous over the next 5-10 years.  It won't be long until surfing the net, email, GPS pretty much every feature you have on a PC, will be done in a mobile device.

So get the Android developer kit, and make me a Fantasy football app that can download everything in real-time as the games are progressing.

Thanks.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Need Ideas - Software Development [Re: badchad]
    #11278815 - 10/19/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

haha, i'm going more for corporate/science/statistical programming rather than multimedia/entertainment,
but the whole mobile thing is a very good idea, ill check out that developer kit.
Mobile phone remote database access could also be a very interesting area to study in my own time - though its beyond the scope of my course, and where i'm likely to gain employment.

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
    #11293424 - 10/21/09 04:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm making an event organizer for RC boat events (events, participants, boats, fees, heats, etc) right now for fun.  You could do something similar.

Depending on how you need to sort the heats (frequencies, rankings, etc), you could get into some math there.  Also, you could add functionality to analyze the lap times and stuff like that (graphs, reports, etc).  Databases would be present.

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Re: Need Ideas - Software Development [Re: D4NK]
    #11293673 - 10/21/09 05:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, thats a great idea. Cheers
I could definately do something sports related.
I.e databases of some sport involving: meetings, tournaments, results, times, even use some math for calculating top speeds/rates/averages grouped on meetings, tournaments, and individuals.

Thanks again!

--------------------

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11294186 - 10/21/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

NP, it's a lot more involved than it seems once you start getting into it.  I figured it'd be a week-long project in my spare time.  Eh, not so much.

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

Offlineloggin shrooms
Stranger
Re: Need Ideas - Software Development [Re: D4NK]
    #11304074 - 10/23/09 01:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

how about a goggle search kind of thing  where you can "goggle"  your stuff.  You know, where did i put that book, or where are the poker chips or where is my monkey's spare cage.  That kind of thing for the average over consumer modern home to keep track of, and better yet, be able to find their shit.  It could be called " get your shit to-goggle" or maybe "data and sheet spreading based on feces derivation with geographical anomalies."

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Need Ideas - Software Development [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11305258 - 10/23/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to enter all the information in.  Plus, after you actively type all those locations in, it'll probably be stored in your brain's long term memory, allowing you to remember were all your stuff is.

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order