Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Perlite AND vermiculite in my brf FC?
    #11271112 - 10/18/09 12:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So I picked the first single mushie (1.9 dry) the other day off the first of two brf cakes going; both of which were too dry so I'm dunking n rolling it, the other one was just starting to pin, and these are test cakes (I let them fight off some minor wet spot and cobwebs instead of ditching at first sign of contams, no greenies tho. And damn was that a strong ass shroom, split it with a friend and we both actually started tripping, guess a little thanks for not killing it xD)
I went; huh, and mixed the perlite from its FC with about 1/3 the volume of verm, sprayed em with water n drained
My FCs btw are spider-man 3 popcorn buckets (the slightly taller/skinnier ones at famous players) covered with inverted ice cream buckets with about 18 holes the size of my finger cut into the sides and stuffed with polyfill, then a window made of roll on lamination at the top. I fan and mist every time I think about em, pull the cake out and re soak the perlite every 2-3 days, and the perlite is about 4" deep (the bucket of per/verm is around 7")

Ne who, the main question is

WILL ADDING VERM HELP IT SUPPLY THE PERLITE WITH WATER WITHOUT STANDING WATER/MISTING AS OFTEN

I will still mist.
That's all fine and good, not trying to make a topic to get flamed, i just find sometimes the perlite water level is a couple inches down, (where it's damp i mean) I figured adding verm might help sponge it back higher, or add to the surface area (not as much as per, but better then water) and still retaining high amounts of moisture.

Yea, I can make a better shotgun and such, and get 95% humidity, there are guides and shit out there on perlite FCs, but i want to know about perlite AND verm.

--------------------
"Don't attempt to stifle his experimentation because you have a hardon for me." -RogerRabbit

LEARN TENACITY - HAVE PATIENCE.
WITHOUT IT - YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED AT THIS HOBBY.
-Agar

THIS SHIT IS MAGICAL TRIPSTALMETH STOP JUDGEMENTING ON MY HABITS

Edited by Ingrimus (10/18/09 12:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Perlite AND vermiculite in my brf FC? [Re: Ingrimus]
    #11272481 - 10/18/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

nobody?
seriously?
o,0 that's odd.

--------------------
"Don't attempt to stifle his experimentation because you have a hardon for me." -RogerRabbit

-Agar

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

#11272993 - 10/18/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

seriously?
not even any thoughts on the matter?
wtf shroomery, why are you failing me?

--------------------

-Agar

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11273019 - 10/18/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No verm doesn't wick moisture off like perlite just use more perlite

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Perlite AND vermiculite in my brf FC? [Re: Shea25]
    #11273059 - 10/18/09 06:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well i've done a FC with pure verm stead of perlite and it worked.
if I wanted to use more perlite I'd use more perlite =P I'm asking if I can use the verm to feed the perlite to wick for me. as im a mistaholic.

--------------------

-Agar

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11273077 - 10/18/09 07:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well I haven't tried it and wouldn't. I would just use perlite for an FC. Not Verm

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11273091 - 10/18/09 07:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

you are likely to have contams in/on the verm
perlite will not contaminate

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11273246 - 10/18/09 07:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Well I haven't tried it and wouldn't. I would just use perlite for an FC. Not Verm

Verm and perlite have different properties.
There's a lot of info on the matter, including a video, but the short of it is this: No verm in FC. Perlite.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

Re: Perlite AND vermiculite in my brf FC? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11273448 - 10/18/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why? =P
My 100% verm FC worked pretty decent.
And I have two cakes running side by side, both creeper, same inoc date, same temp, etc.
same number of holes, same size, same buckets (both spiderman 3 and an ice cream bucket)
one is pure perlite
one is like 65%/35% perlite/verm
they even each have 3 main pins, and one mini-pin under the 1st and largest pin on top, and the verm/per is taking off like a rocket, the per is doing okay, but not nearly as well.
and once I get it colonized and in a FC I don't generally run into mold issues (minor wetspot if I over inoc and minor web if I don't boost the cake off the lid on the bottom and circulate that air every 3-5 fan sessions) till like the 3rd flush (if I'm dirty and basically ask for tric i MAY get it)

I'm simply asking why I can't\shouldn't use verm and perlite (using the verm as a sponge to hold water for the perlite to evap) in my FC.

Aside from the "contam issues"(dude, just bake your verm, I don't and I'm fine but if you're really worried...) some people suffer from,
and the minor issue of the mix being heavier then just perlite so it's not as airy of course.

Boxxy is not the queen.
sorry, had to say it :wink: <3

--------------------

-Agar

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

#11273479 - 10/18/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

And yea I know they're different, one absorbs water one holds it on the surface(of each crystal, not the total layer, which is actually why I'm trying this verm/perlite experiment) to increase evaporation.
I'd post in advanced so I don't have people saying "No, and there's no real reason why cept it's not the way to do it, period."
But it's really not worth bugging them about :rolleyes:

I'm actually waiting for someone to call a "RR SAYS YOU'RE WRONG" so I can drop the quote in my sig =P

Maybe I should just PM Agar, RR, or another TC; and skip dicking through the rosebushes.
Really rather just find an answer in M.C. tho, xD I hate asking dumb questions in A.M.

oh and that joke about boxxy wasn't downing on you at all T :vaped: you know you're gangsta fly props big mac in my book <3 :peace:

--------------------

-Agar

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11273504 - 10/18/09 08:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

First off you cant message RR about cultivation subjects and secondly you asked a question people responded and you dont like the answers ?????

And the rosebushes, you are referring to are the great people that make this whole community, sure RR knows shit shit inside and out out he's not the shroomery Us the ROSEBUSHES are

Edited by Shea25 (10/18/09 08:28 PM)

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Loc: Western PA Flag
    #11273545 - 10/18/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

In regards to releasing water into the air, vermiculite is wack. That's like using using a flat head when you need a phillips, and you have the phillips right beside you. Since you are able to obtain perlite, I would recommend going with that. If your convinced you have a dope setup then go with it and document the results, I'm sure everyone would like to see it.

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11273583 - 10/18/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Holy shit bro, are you OCD or something? Your posts are one long ass sentence! Think about what you want to say before just pouring it all out on the keyboard lol.

Now, I would NOT mix vermiculite and perlite on the cake. I got perlite that contains fertilizers and nutrients. I didn't want that but I had no choice. It's possible the chemicals can cause your cakes to have weird mutations.

Additionally, if you put a 3in - 5 in layer of wet perlite and mist, you'll be fine. Just fan and mist up until your harvest. Don't drown them...hold the mist 2 or 3 feet away and let it gently land on the cakes. After a few days you'll see pins.

Try not to disturb the cakes if possible. Also what are you using to tell the humidity lvl? An analog or digital hygrometer? Either way they're not perfectly accurate, so if you can keep your humidity at 90% you'll be good. I mist 3 - 4 times a day and fan vigorously.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite AND vermiculite in my brf FC? [Re: po0dingles]
    #11273610 - 10/18/09 08:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Lol im not OCD:crazy2: .  Its just this guy creates a post basically bumps it twice in a day then doesn't like the answers he gets.

Often I am doing others things when Im on the shroomery like right now making dinner. punctuation is not important at times when im doing other things your the first to complain about it lol.

I do think about what I type before typing

Edited by Shea25 (10/18/09 08:42 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

#11273635 - 10/18/09 08:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, dude relax xD

Okay, so I can't msg rr. I can still msg agar or other TCs who have replied to me before (I actually did msg rr about it once it was like my first post, he saw I was a noob and answered my question and included a note saying not to msg him about cultivation)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
First off you cant message RR about cultivation subjects and secondly you asked a question people responded and you dont like the answers ?????

And the rosebushes, you are referring to are the great people that make this whole community, sure RR knows his shit inside and out but he's not the shroomery, we the ROSEBUSHES are

Yea that's nice and all? but if I ask how much the moon weighs (assuming earth gravity and all that crap people like to try and turn around to be "smart" in a conversation) and you tell me 5 pounds, then you're wrong and I DON'T like your answer, cause it makes no sense and has about as much logic as the anti-spock, so shut up.
Now that's not saying what you said was wrong, or that you should shut up (chill a touch perhaps); in fact I thank you for spending time replying to my post but the fact remains I'm looking for a solid reason/proof, and no offense but saying "I only use perlite" doesn't help worth shit =p it's just a thorn in my side (get it? rosebush? yea that was lame but w/e)

I HAVE used a pure verm FC, and it didn't contam, it DID fruit.
you CAN use it.
Now I'm asking why I wouldn't\shouldn't add some, ASIDE FROM THE CONTAM AND PACKING ISSUES.

--------------------

-Agar

OfflineIngrimus
Wakka Wakka Dune

#11273647 - 10/18/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

po0dingles said:
Holy shit bro, are you OCD or something? Your posts are one long ass sentence! Think about what you want to say before just pouring it all out on the keyboard lol.

Now, I would NOT mix vermiculite and perlite on the cake. I got perlite that contains fertilizers and nutrients. I didn't want that but I had no choice. It's possible the chemicals can cause your cakes to have weird mutations.

Additionally, if you put a 3in - 5 in layer of wet perlite and mist, you'll be fine. Just fan and mist up until your harvest. Don't drown them...hold the mist 2 or 3 feet away and let it gently land on the cakes. After a few days you'll see pins.

Try not to disturb the cakes if possible. Also what are you using to tell the humidity lvl? An analog or digital hygrometer? Either way they're not perfectly accurate, so if you can keep your humidity at 90% you'll be good. I mist 3 - 4 times a day and fan vigorously.

I'm the OCD one xD don't rip on his english! (less you were ripping on mine, then by all means :laugh:)

And I'm not asking for a tek (thank you though = 3)
I have and still do grow cakes and such with the good ol shotgun and pure perlite and misting and all that, to a T and I get sexy shrooms
monos, dubtubs, poor mans ters and rich mans, soda bottles and popcorn buckets, I like to try it just to try it.
Which is why I'm asking =O
Cause I'm curious.
It's like when I searched for making LC in the syringe, most posts said bad idea, bad gas exchange and such;
I sucked up some spores and some karo-water and it was so thick it was sick (I just ejected the air and refilled the syringe with sterile air for GE)
I like to experiment, because I just don't believe it's that hard to grow mushies (not saying it's super easy and i'm passing off other peoples efforts and blah blah blah) and if I'm going for a good solid grow I don't dick around, but if I'm looking to dick around? then my dick shall be around.

--------------------

-Agar

Edited by Ingrimus (10/18/09 08:51 PM)

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11273666 - 10/18/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Lol im not OCD:crazy2: .  Its just this guy creates a post basically bumps it twice in a day then doesn't like the answers he gets.

Often I am doing others things when Im on the shroomery like right now making dinner. punctuation is not important at times when im doing other things your the first to complain about it lol.

No I was addressing the op. sorry if I confused you.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11273675 - 10/18/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Oh lol confused me because it said reply to Shea lol

Invisiblepo0dingles
0o0o0o0o0o0o0

#11273687 - 10/18/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:

OOOOH, yeah you were the last person to post. I just hit reply to make a msg. sorry. :laugh:

btw, your/you're. There's a huge difference. it's important you learn them. :laugh:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11273769 - 10/18/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

to the OP,  the reason you cant mix the 2 are once you have moist perlite mixed with verm the verm gets compacted by the weight of the wet perlite and all the water you just hydrated it with gets squished out and just puddles up at the bottom or drips out of your FC.  then leaving compacted useless verm in your perfectly fine by itself perlite just waiting for contams to take hold in your FC. :stoned:

does that answer suffice your questions needs.:shrug:

:scaryshroom::thumbup:

13:mushroom2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds