Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon Grow Light, HPS, Hydroponics Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
See telltale signs of homes gone to pot
    #11272265 - 10/18/09 06:25 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

OrlandoSentinel.com
See telltale signs of homes gone to pot

October 18, 2009

Grow houses can pass as Central Florida's best neighbors.

They can be three- and four-bedroom houses in the middle of a staid community. They're just not filled with furniture.

When sounds of a gunshot and a woman's screams drew Polk County deputies to a four-bedroom house on Floral Circle in Lakeland in the fall of 2007, the house was empty except for 330 tall, green marijuana plants beneath an elaborate array of 26 lighting hoods, 30 electrical ballasts and 25 high-intensity bulbs.

"The kitchen and the small living room (with two air mattresses) were the only livable areas of the house," a report stated. "All other rooms contained plants with the exception of a small room off the kitchen. The small room held pools and had a grow light hood mounted on the ceiling. It appeared as though more plants were going to be placed in that room."

The Lakeland case with so many plants was unusual, because indoor-marijuana drug rings generally cultivate fewer than 100 marijuana plants. Drug agents say that keeps the operation, should it be raided, below the federal threshold for serious sentencing guidelines.

Setting up the house is also highly detailed, Polk agents said. Here are the players in how it is done:

A lessee
One person rents a house.

Groups once bought houses, but those can be seized by police and forfeited. So rings now look for rental properties in communities devastated by foreclosures such as Poinciana, a community of 70,000 residents on the Polk-Osceola county line.

A handyman
He shows up to convert a typical three-bedroom, two-bathroom house into a $1million-a-year pot farm.

A privacy fence goes up first. Next comes construction of a small cloning room, where a large mother plant will produce seeds and grafts for every crop.

Bedrooms become grow rooms as extra insulation is added to walls and ceilings (to reduce heat leaking from the house that can be detected by police helicopters). Extra air conditioners are vented into the attic.

Racks of 1,000-watt "grow lights" and reflective wallpaper are put up, maximizing the 24-hour growing cycle's intensity. Irrigation systems with kiddie-pool reservoirs automatically feed plant buckets with nutrients and water.

An electrician
An experienced tradesman splices cables into the main 220-volt line to steal at least $30,000 a year of power, bypassing the utility meter and avoiding detection of heavy power use. Indoor pot farms use excess amounts of electricity, and high utility bills can identify them to cops.

A tender
A single man or couple are hired to live in the house and care for plants. Houses rarely have more than a mattress and a radio. Workers rarely have cars, identification or phones.

A monitor
A ring member stops by the house a couple times a week to bring food and check on the tender.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-pot-grow-house-chatter-101809,0,7502310.story

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: motaman]
    #11272879 - 10/18/09 08:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

"Next comes construction of a small cloning room, where a large mother plant will produce seeds and grafts for every crop."

I'm not a grower but that don't sound right. Maybe the grafts part but I thought that the whole idea of a mother plant was to prevent seeds. Sort of.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11272913 - 10/18/09 08:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gngsteroflove said:
"Next comes construction of a small cloning room, where a large mother plant will produce seeds and grafts for every crop."

I'm not a grower but that don't sound right. Maybe the grafts part but I thought that the whole idea of a mother plant was to prevent seeds. Sort of.

You are right, cloning does not involve seeds.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: neopet nub]
    #11273183 - 10/18/09 09:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Nice of them to give out the instructions on how to remain undetected!

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #11273338 - 10/18/09 09:54 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cryogenicz said:
Nice of them to give out the instructions on how to remain undetected!

-Graham

I broke out the notepad for this article

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: neopet nub]
    #11273373 - 10/18/09 10:01 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Just move the kiddie pools in during a full moon eclipse.
And gather the neighbors around to drink beer and question the way the handyman is putting up the privacy fence. That will put them all off guard.
Besides, nobody in this good ol' U.S.A. needs privacy goddamn it.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11273918 - 10/18/09 11:20 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

haha gotta love polk county.  full of retarded cops.

--------------------

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #11273983 - 10/18/09 11:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

An electrician
An experienced tradesman splices cables into the main 220-volt line to steal at least $30,000 a year of power, bypassing the utility meter and avoiding detection of heavy power use. Indoor pot farms use excess amounts of electricity, and high utility bills can identify them to cops.

haha thanks for tellin me how to steal electric! awesome!

--------------------

PLEASE DONATE TO THE AMERICAN KRATOM ASSOCIATION TO KICK THE DEA'S ASS!!!!

!

Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: motaman]
    #11274710 - 10/19/09 01:14 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

motaman said:

an elaborate array of 26 lighting hoods, 30 electrical ballasts and 25 high-intensity bulbs.

what kind of lighting system is this? :confused:

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Offlinelaotzo
Struggling with Math
Male

Loc: Texas, poo country Flag
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #11275500 - 10/19/09 04:14 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

most likely either (and/or) High Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide fixtures. The HPS covers the notch in the red sprectrum useful to plants, and the MH covers the notch in the blue spectrum that they can use.

having a few extra hoods and ballasts about, as well as a bulb or three is just good planning. with a set of 3 to 5 1000 watt bulbs per room they could pull down an avg of 2 to 2.5 lbs dry per plant, if they went hydroponic like this and grew sinsemilla. I'm talking from personal experience, that's easy with a professional setup like this.
too bad they were greedy and went over the 99 plant limit.:sad::rolleyes: :fishsmack:

anyway,lights

the two different types of light have adv and disadv

HPS is about 2x more efficient than MH watt --> lumen ratio and is better for the bloom/budding cycle, as the red spectrum tends to promote the production of giberellins which lengthen the cells promoting tall plants. You don't want tall plants indoors.

MH is blue-white and is best for the vegetative stage of growth, as the blue  rays both promote short stocky plants and leaf growth, which at that point is the factory building up reserves for the buds later on.

Using 1 HPS and 2 MH on a rotating hanger during veg and switching to 2 HPS and one MH during bud worked well for me.

I have always thought there was something also to trying to fool the plant into thinking it was "summer" with bluer rays in veg, and "fall" in the 12 on 12 off cycles, but I may be anthropomorphizing my favorite plant.:jah:

man I run on....
(gets off of soapbox)

laotzo :shineon:  :idea:  :shineon:

--------------------
if you can't beat them, arrange to have it done.

george carlin...RIP:heart:

laotzo

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

Loc: USS Eldridge
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: laotzo]
    #11276151 - 10/19/09 11:06 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

HPS lamps have fallen out of favor the past decade with some who claim to be "true botanists".  I don't know why, they are always effective during flowering time for me personally.  Shrug.

--------------------
143/0x63/99...It's like watching the mycelium grow...
WARNING: You must be 21 years of age to experience hallucinations.

Offlinelaotzo
Struggling with Math
Male

Loc: Texas, poo country Flag
Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: myco99]
    #11276178 - 10/19/09 11:18 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

im old school....hate to mess with what works just to be "current"...let others be guinea pigs lol...

--------------------
if you can't beat them, arrange to have it done.

george carlin...RIP:heart:

laotzo

OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: laotzo]
    #11276796 - 10/19/09 01:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

chlorophyll has a higher absorption rate towards the blue end of the spectrum and a smaller one towards the red end.  Which is why the plants would produce the GA and make for taller plants

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

LOOKING FOR EDIBLE CULTURES OR PRINTS ANYTHING GOURMET!!
also, Omphalotus olearius AKA Jack o'Lantern mushroom
PM ME

OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Re: See telltale signs of homes gone to pot [Re: Herbie5075]
    #11277115 - 10/19/09 02:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the house was empty except for 330 tall, green marijuana plants beneath an elaborate array of 26 lighting hoods, 30 electrical ballasts and 25 high-intensity bulbs

at least they refereed to HIDs as high intensity bulbs instead of the usual bullshit, like hydroonic lights or hallogen grow lights.  a couple of dumb things in it but pretty good article.  :thumbup:

Edited by ShroomerRoss (10/19/09 02:43 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon Grow Light, HPS, Hydroponics Supplies

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service