Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death
    #11271973 - 10/18/09 05:30 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death
By Dan O'Donnell & Lauren Leamanczyk

Story Created: Oct 16, 2009

Story Updated: Oct 16, 2009

WHITEFISH BAY - The Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office has filed second degree reckless homicide charges against a man accused of providing the drugs that killed a Whitefish Bay High School student.

Matthew Laughrin, 23, is now charged with second degree reckless homicide and a number of other felonies in an amended criminal complaint filed Friday.

Madison Kiefer, 15, died in March after taking Suboxone, a drug commonly used to treat heroin addiction.  Her father said she had been abusing drugs for several years.

Laughrin pleaded not guilty to the charges. He also waived his right to a jury trial.  Instead, he will let a judge issue a verdict.

After court, neither attorney would speak about the case on-camera.

But, Laughrin's lawyer, Robin Shellow, issued a lengthy statement.  She says the decision to file murder charges drives teen drug use further underground.  "Matthew Laughrin is an addict.  Madison Kiefer, by previous report, was an addict.  Addicts make bad decisions.  The decision to elevate an accidental drug death into a murder charge is neither a fair nor enlightened decision.  It is just a bad decision," the statement read.

Toni McBride, the mother of Maddie's best friend, and co-founder of parents group Bay United, was glad to hear about the tough charges.

"The fact that a child had to die in this case was a horrible, horrible tragedy and someone was responsible.  So, I'm glad they're taking stiff action," McBride said.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/64561527.html

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death [Re: motaman]
    #11271997 - 10/18/09 05:35 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
"The fact that a child had to die in this case was a horrible, horrible tragedy and someone was responsible.  So, I'm glad they're taking stiff action," McBride said.
http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/64561527.html

:facepalm:

The kid who took too much is responsible.  Period.

She took the drugs, and sounds like she knew what she was taking.  If anyone is responsible for this, it's prohibition for a lack of education.

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Loc: somewhere in southern VT
Re: Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #11272002 - 10/18/09 05:37 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

damn i thought it was damn near impossible to OD on buprenorphine?
either way it's a tragedy.

--------------------
Now he's Johnny Hammersticks hammerin' away like he's friggin' Tommy Noble

Offlinelvilledanksta
LYSurgeon

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death [Re: istandalone]
    #11274499 - 10/19/09 12:46 AM (8 years, 17 hours ago)

hmm i wonder what exactly caused the death. dont you have to mix an opiate with suboxone or methadone to bring risk?

--------------------
:gd_icon: Reach out your hand if your cup be empty, if your cup is full may it be again.
Let it be known there is a fountain, that was not made by the hands of men
:egyptian:

K ush B ush C lique

OfflineNova

Re: Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death [Re: motaman]
    #11275513 - 10/19/09 04:23 AM (8 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
"The fact that a child had to die in this case was a horrible, horrible tragedy and someone was responsible.

Its scary how large of a proportion of our society thinks like this. I've met people who claim drugs/cravings control them, ive met people who claim god(s) controls them, ive met people who claim nature controls them.

There is absolutely no one else responsible for this besides the girl who choose to ingest a dangerous amount of drugs. I mean seriously if you accept the logic that this girl didn't have control over her actions and that the drug dealer 'murdered' this girl, then what about gun companies? If people don't have control of their actions when they shoot someone, then the gun manufacturer is responsible for providing the means or 'tool' of death.

Ya it sounds stupid and crazy but that is the (double) standard for when this happens with drugs. I'm sure the gun manufacturer would claim they didn't know or intend for harm to be caused to another person but guess what? The drug dealer is no different!

OfflineNova

Re: Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death [Re: lvilledanksta]
    #11275521 - 10/19/09 04:28 AM (8 years, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

istandalone said:
damn i thought it was damn near impossible to OD on buprenorphine?
either way it's a tragedy.

Quote:

lvilledanksta said:
hmm i wonder what exactly caused the death. dont you have to mix an opiate with suboxone or methadone to bring risk?

My guess would be that the buprenorphine was mixed with either benzos or alcohol, or that she puked in her sleep. I've never read of any reported death where buprenorphine is the sole and direct cause of death.

Offlinedurian_2008
cornucopian eating an elephant
 User Gallery

Re: Homicide Charge Filed in Overdose Death [Re: Nova]
    #11279147 - 10/19/09 08:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

reckless homicide charges against a man accused of providing the drugs

Like prosecuting the shoe store over a butt kicking.

Quote:

Laughrin pleaded not guilty to the charges. He also waived his right to a jury trial. Instead, he will let a judge issue a verdict.

What a long way from nullification.

Quote:

a child had to die

A conscientious, reproductively-mature child.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service