Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, Toothpaste

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization
    #11271591 - 10/18/09 04:16 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Straw was soaked in dish soap water for 2 1/2 hrs. Anybody see any problems with using the water for pasteurization too?
It has also turned brown from the straw..

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
Re: Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11271773 - 10/18/09 04:51 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I do the soap, but dump it.. not sure

--------------------

Offlinemycochef
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11272223 - 10/18/09 06:19 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

First You don't pasturize with dish soap. Secondly are you using a pure soap or a detergent? Ivory is a brand of soap most others like dawn etc. are detergents, Anyway soaps act as a surfactant and for lack of a better scientific explanation it makes water wetter. Basically it breaks down the surface tension of the substrate allowing water to penetrate in much more easily.
Pasturization is temperature and time dependent the higher the temperature the shorter the time the product needs to be exposed.
Hope this helps

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization [Re: mycochef]
    #11273195 - 10/18/09 09:23 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

thanks for the replies guys.
So if I used dawn in the water it didn't have the same benefits as soap would?
from my research it seems as though people use dish soap...which are mainly all detergents

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #11273237 - 10/18/09 09:32 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Just heat up the water, pasteurize it, and be done!

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #11273328 - 10/18/09 09:51 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I agree Cryogenics!
Some details can be good to know, but there's nothing like experience especially the seemingly simple undertaking of heating water
i've had enough reading.
Now comes the action!

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

#11274670 - 10/19/09 01:09 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I guess it never hurts to ask :smirk:

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
orders@mycopath.com

www.FungiForum.com

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276021 - 10/19/09 10:14 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

I thought  the dish soap water pre treatment, like RR straw logs.. was fine, I do not pasteurize it in the soap. I use the soap water pre treatment myself, because I am harvesting the sub myself (not straw) from the outdoors.. I was thinking if anything, I am pre killing the gnats and opening the pores on my sub material (palm fronds).. anyway, it sounds like that step is being knocked completely here.. I thought it was useful...?

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276048 - 10/19/09 10:25 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

i ended up puring out the soap water and just using tap water for pasteurization. Mushrooms are very capable and notorios fro soaking up petrochemicals, heavy metals, and more from the environment.
So if my straw was cooked in Triclosan...the active ingredient in the dishwashing liquid/hand soap. (also the active ingredient in hand sanitizer)
I don't want triclosan in my fruits..

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276137 - 10/19/09 11:01 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Triclosan is a toxic agent made popular these days due to its extensive antibiotic property which promises to eliminate all forms of bacteria both known and unknown to humans even at low concentrations. Environmental Protection Agency or EPA registered triclosan as pesticide which inhibits growth of tadpoles while it extinguishes all forms of life around contaminated area. Because of these factors, it poses great health risks to humans, animals and the environment as well.

Triclosan is now included in detergents, dish washing fluids, soaps, deodorants, and toothpastes and that is just naming a few. When mixed with regular tap water, it produces chloroform, a cancer-causing agent. But how else can you use these products without even coming in contact with tap water? Also, they are not soluble in water meaning they will not breakdown.

When triclosan enters your body, it settles within your body tissues and accumulates overtime since, again, they don’t break down. Therefore, it can easily access your cell membranes damaging the liver, kidneys and lungs. Bacteria and fungi are sustained by enzymes while triclosan works by poisoning this specific enzyme to successfully eliminate them.

... huh

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276169 - 10/19/09 11:15 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

It also has been shown to break down up to 12% of it's mass into Dioxin when in contact with ultra-violet rays of light. Scientists are worried since the light from the sun is just that.

Triclosan is also the key ingredient in hand sanitizer!!!!!!!!
Found EVERYWHERE in hospitals and schools.
think about that

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276189 - 10/19/09 11:24 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

I guarantee you my entire household already bathes in it.. curious. We make natural soap at home, but give it away.. and use the store bought stuff ourselves.. have to second guess that, now.

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276214 - 10/19/09 11:32 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Sounds good.
I want to make my own soap but I also want to make my own lye. I need to learn build fires and burn some hardwood for that.
I'm in a dilemma though because any hardwood i find is going to get inoculated with mushrooms spawn. :grin:

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11276297 - 10/19/09 11:55 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

me too.. hardwood is a very unique find in my area.. but I build fires with pine.. Christmas trees FTW.. lol

--------------------

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11276821 - 10/19/09 01:55 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

So I did some more reading on Stamets experiences with petroleum procucts. Some quotes:
"We inoculated three mounds of soil, each contaminated with a different mixture of diesel fuel, motor oil, gasoline, and other petroleum hydrocarbons.
The hydrocarbon-laden pile was bursting with mushrooms! Oyster mushrooms up to twelve inches in diameter had formed across the pile. Based on our earlier tests, we estimated that most of the PAHs and alkanes had been broken down by this time."

"The mushrooms were tested and shown to be free of any petroleum products."

"By the study's end point at twelve weeks, the total petroleum hydrocarbons were reduced by mycoremediation, and the soil had been enriched by the treatment and by the development of a complex community. The soil was tested and shown to be nontoxic and suitable for use in WSDOT's highway landscaping."

Some sources say that it's only heavy metals that have been found to exist in fruits. So the soap compounds are metabolized and not directly absorbed...

I want to do even further reading about other people's experiences because I wonder if the mushrooms from an experiment of such that doesn't contain petroleum products contains other chemicals from the mess

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

#11276847 - 10/19/09 01:59 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Where are your sources for your research?

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
orders@mycopath.com

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #11277153 - 10/19/09 02:46 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

I've always dumped out the soapy water, and used fresh water with hydrated lime for the pasteurization.  To be honest, I've never even tried to pasteurize in the soapy water, so can't say whether it is good or not.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11277272 - 10/19/09 03:07 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=002Ob4
and a video where Stamets talks about the same thing:

i can tell ya more but i'm in a rush now

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
    #11277410 - 10/19/09 03:27 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Re: Using dish soap soak water for pasteurization [Re: Jef]
    #11277550 - 10/19/09 03:49 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

well.. then maybe all my sawdust is fine.. hmm..

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, Toothpaste

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms