Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

Loc: Franklin's Tower
balloon boy confirmed hoax
    #11270810 - 10/18/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/18/colorado.balloon.investigation/index.html

Quote:

(CNN) -- The case of a giant Mylar balloon, which ascended into the sky late last week amid fears a 6-year-old boy was aboard, has been determined to be a "hoax" and a "publicity stunt," Larimer County, Colorado, Sheriff Jim Alderden said Sunday.

Richard Heene has told reporters that a runaway balloon incident involving his son was "absolutely no hoax."

The family of the Fort Collins boy, Falcon Heene, engineered the incident in order to better market themselves for a reality television show, Alderden told reporters at a news conference.

The incident Thursday prompted a widespread search, including the Federal Aviation Administration and the Colorado National Guard. It ended when Falcon climbed down from the attic above the garage at the family's home.

Earlier Sunday, sheriff's deputies were seen entering and leaving the Heene home.

A dispatcher with the Larimer County Sheriff's Department declined to release any information about the search.

"We anticipate criminal charges will be filed sometime in the near future," Alderden told CNN late Saturday.

Speculation over whether Thursday's incident, which prompted a widespread search, was a hoax has mounted against Heene, father of three young boys. 

Heene and his wife, Mayumi, have insisted their fears over Falcon going were genuine, and not a publicity stunt. The family has appeared on ABC's "Wife Swap" and posted videos of storm-chasing and other activities online.

Responding to a reporter's question about speculation earlier in the day, Heene said, "Absolutely no hoax."

If it were determined that the incident was a hoax, the only charge local authorities could press would be making a false report to authorities -- a Class 3 misdemeanor, Alderden told reporters Saturday. 

However, a misdemeanor "hardly seems serious enough given the circumstances," the sheriff said.

He added that investigators and prosecutors may push the case beyond the local level to see "if perhaps there aren't additional federal charges that would be more appropriate."

Richard and Mayumi Heene emerged Saturday evening from the sheriff's office after several hours of interviews with investigators.

"I was talking to the sheriff's department just now to further things along," Richard Heene told reporters outside the building. "We're doing well."

He declined to take questions before the couple drove away in their minivan.

Earlier in the day, Richard Heene approached reporters outside his home with a cardboard box, asking the media to toss their questions inside it.

"I got people e-mailing me, calling me; they've got a lot of questions, and I don't know how to quite frankly answer any of them other than I've got a box," he said.

He said he'd answer the questions later Saturday night. "I'm going to place the box up front, please write your questions down," he said. "I have no idea what the news are saying; I don't have cable."

Questions over the incident intensified after the family appeared on CNN's "Larry King Live" Thursday night. Repeating a question from CNN's Wolf Blitzer, who was filling in for King, Heene asked his son why he had not come out from hiding when they were calling for him.  Watch body language expert analyze Heene interview »

"You guys said we did this for the show," Falcon replied.

Heene told CNN his son was confused when he made the "show" remark. There were media assembled on the front lawn asking all sorts of questions, and that's what Falcon was referring to, Heene said.

i figured the other thread was about the actual incident itself and kind of got off topic, but if im wrong then lock this

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMoo456
Pied_Piper

Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: dwtk]
    #11270823 - 10/18/09 11:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why the fuck do they even call him balloon boy anymore? They should call him attic boy.

--------------------

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

#11270905 - 10/18/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just because the boy was found in the attic doesn't necessarily = publicity stunt.  It could have easily been that the boy was hiding from his parents after accidentally releasing the alien craft balloon.

That being said, the writing towards the end of the article is terrible so it's hard to interpret the "evidence" for the hoax.

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

Loc: Franklin's Tower
Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: All We Perceive]
    #11270914 - 10/18/09 11:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

All We Perceive said:
Just because the boy was found in the attic doesn't necessarily = publicity stunt.  It could have easily been that the boy was hiding from his parents after accidentally releasing the alien craft balloon.

That being said, the writing towards the end of the article is terrible so it's hard to interpret the "evidence" for the hoax.

an old close family friend said:

"Richard's story doesn't add up. He is saying he thought Falcon was in the balloon, and that Falcon ran and hid as a result of Richard yelling at him. I've spent a lot of time with them, and Falcon is, first of all, not afraid of his father. I've never once seen Richard's children afraid of him — and I've definitely never seen Falcon go hide. He was one of the most social of the three children.

Secondly, Falcon supposedly hid in that attic in the garage. I've spent a lot of time in his garage, which has a drill press and various welding tools. It's unorganized and chaotic. There's really not so much an attic as some support beams connected with plywood. Being an adult of average height, I couldn't get up into the attic if I'd wanted to, so I don't know how a six-year-old child could have gotten up there. There's not an easy way to access that overhang. Maybe if I'd lifted that child up into the attic, he might have been able to rest up there, but not comfortably."

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #11270953 - 10/18/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Longcat > Balloon Boy

--------------------

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

#11270997 - 10/18/09 12:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dwtk said:
Quote:

All We Perceive said:

an old close family friend said:

"Richard's story doesn't add up. He is saying he thought Falcon was in the balloon, and that Falcon ran and hid as a result of Richard yelling at him. I've spent a lot of time with them, and Falcon is, first of all, not afraid of his father. I've never once seen Richard's children afraid of him � and I've definitely never seen Falcon go hide. He was one of the most social of the three children.

Secondly, Falcon supposedly hid in that attic in the garage. I've spent a lot of time in his garage, which has a drill press and various welding tools. It's unorganized and chaotic. There's really not so much an attic as some support beams connected with plywood. Being an adult of average height, I couldn't get up into the attic if I'd wanted to, so I don't know how a six-year-old child could have gotten up there. There's not an easy way to access that overhang. Maybe if I'd lifted that child up into the attic, he might have been able to rest up there, but not comfortably."

Hmm.  To be honest, I don't really care whatsoever about this story.  Thus, the .00001% of care that I have will wait until charges get filed.  Plus, who is this "family friend?" wtf?

:justdontknow:

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #11271014 - 10/18/09 12:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dwtk said:
"Richard's story doesn't add up.

the funniest thing is that the sheriff must be in on it because they keep
claiming (until just recently) that there's no sign of a hoax, after the
kid admitted to it on the CNN interview it still took a few days for them
to finally admit that it must have been a hoax... something doesnt add up
with the sheriffs story either

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11271024 - 10/18/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you read the article above it quotes the Sheriff saying that, while they suspected a hoax, the cooperation of the family greatly facilitated their investigation and declaring it a hoax would have certainly limited said cooperation.

You really are a conspiracy junkie, aren't you?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: All We Perceive]
    #11271026 - 10/18/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

All We Perceive said:
...Thus, the .00001% of care that I have will wait until charges get filed...

Charges have been filed. The press conference interrupted "Fareed Zakaia GPS" on CNN this morning. Evidently, Balloon Boy is more important than what's going on in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran, right now...

The media is going to keep this "Balloon Boy" story going on longer than the "Death of Anna Nicole Smith" story... And one of the reasons for this -- aside from the fact, that the story has developed a life of its own -- is that the media got burned by this story, and they want revenge... They are out for blood...

--------------------

OfflineFisherman
Tchee'ik
Male

Loc: Glrrrrrrr!
Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: Papaver]
    #11271030 - 10/18/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:
Longcat > Balloon Boy

Behold! :bow:

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS DRUGS

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#11271038 - 10/18/09 12:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:Charges have been filed. The press conference interrupted "Fareed Zakaia GPS" on CNN this morning. Evidently, Balloon Boy is more important than what's going on in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran, right now...

Fareed Zakaria, FTW.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #11271113 - 10/18/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
If you read the article above it quotes the Sheriff saying that, while they suspected a hoax, the cooperation of the family greatly facilitated their investigation and declaring it a hoax would have certainly limited said cooperation.

You really are a conspiracy junkie, aren't you?

nope... the sheriff stated on numerous occasions that it wasnt a hoax
and now suddenly, the sheriff is claiming 'it was a hoax'

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/sheriff-balloon-boy-incident-was-not-a-hoax-20091610
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-16-balloon-boy-TV_N.htm

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#11271118 - 10/18/09 12:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's what I'm saying.

He has to act like it's not a hoax so he can easily gather information to prove that it, in fact, was.

It's like when there is a question of a crime being committed or not.  You have to act on the assumption that it actually happened and gather evidence before you proclaim that it didn't.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #11271143 - 10/18/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
That's what I'm saying.

He has to act like it's not a hoax so he can easily gather information to prove that it, in fact, was.

It's like when there is a question of a crime being committed or not.  You have to act on the assumption that it actually happened and gather evidence before you proclaim that it didn't.

lol... that must be why people are arrested and then investigations
start with most crimes, the evidence is there in the balloon launch video

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#11271163 - 10/18/09 12:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
nope... the sheriff stated on numerous occasions that it wasnt a hoax
and now suddenly, the sheriff is claiming 'it was a hoax'

It's obvious the sheriff is a reptile. Note the obviously reptilian spinal-chord-to-cranium attachment structure; the beady little eyes; and poor makeup job of hiding his gill-slits...

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#11271202 - 10/18/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

all sheriffs are reptilian, it's a well known fact

except for this guy, he just plays a reptilian in real life

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #11271224 - 10/18/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: In(di)go]
    #11271262 - 10/18/09 01:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:vaped:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: balloon boy confirmed hoax [Re: blewmeanie]
    #11271519 - 10/18/09 01:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think we all knew this was coming...

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #11271620 - 10/18/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm waiting for something like... "I'm really happy for you balloon boy and Ima let you finish, but the Amelia Earhart was the greatest missing aviator of all time."

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order