Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
People with tattoos
    #11270735 - 10/18/09 11:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I am REAAAALLY interested in doing tattoo work. I do designs all the time for friends and random commissions on the internet. I'm growing interested in the actual process of tattooing and working in a shop.

What are the requirements of becoming a tattoo apprentice?

I was talking to one of my friends who has plenty of tattoos and knows a lot of local shop owners. She said most stores require a sign fee of a few grand before they let an artist learn how to tattoo. Is this true?

I'm starting to feel a little let down because of that. But maybe some people here will know of other valuable information.

--------------------
-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
Re: People with tattoos [Re: Dynoo]
    #11270744 - 10/18/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

can i see some of the tattoo artwork you've designed for friends?  i've seen your online gallery, but i don't think there were any tattoo sketches in there.

i'm in the process of trying to design a tattoo to cover my left forearm.  but as of yet cannot seem to remotely make up my mind.

--------------------

Offlineteeter
Mindfucked
Male User Gallery

Loc: Philadelphia PA
    #11270746 - 10/18/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why don't you just got talk to the owner of a tatoo shop?

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern." - William Blake

"Psychedelics helped me to escape.. albeit momentarily.. from the prison of my mind. It over-rode the habit patterns of thought and I was able to taste innocence again. Looking at sensations freshly without the conceptual overlay was very profound." - Ram Das

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
Re: People with tattoos [Re: teeter]
    #11270833 - 10/18/09 11:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've always heard that most places will make you do grunt work for free until you become comfortable around the equipment. Then I think most people start on pork or your own body.

--------------------

Offlinedwtk
it all rolls into one
Male User Gallery

Loc: Franklin's Tower
Re: People with tattoos [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #11270854 - 10/18/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
can i see some of the tattoo artwork you've designed for friends?

im curious to see them as well

--------------------

Invisible013akilper

Re: People with tattoos [Re: teeter]
    #11270878 - 10/18/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

teeter said:
Why don't you just got talk to the owner of a tatoo shop?

--------------------

Invisiblemagikgrl
~Inevitable~
Female User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: People with tattoos [Re: 013akilper]
    #11270950 - 10/18/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Apprenticeship varies from shop to shop.

A lot won't even consider it if they don't think your not in it %110

--------------------

"In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal...go figure."

Becoming human was not part of the plan...

I wish I could be as high as my tolerance-danlennon

Reality is a crutch for those that can't cope with drugs.

Invisiblevisions

Loc: utopia
Re: People with tattoos [Re: magikgrl]
    #11271008 - 10/18/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The guy I go to told me you either need to have a couple grand or be good friends with someone that tattoos
so what your friend said is true

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: People with tattoos [Re: visions]
    #11271028 - 10/18/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yea, you cant half ass shit, and you need lots of money. basically. they want your money and dont want to put up with some dipshit thats just gonna fuck around the whole time.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
    #11271036 - 10/18/09 12:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dwtk said:
Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
can i see some of the tattoo artwork you've designed for friends?

--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
    #11271546 - 10/18/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It varies from shop to shop.

Most have to pay a large safety deposit, and or do a few pieces on yourself, because obviously if you mess up a clients work, the shop will catch hell, and they really dont want that.

The large sum is to protect themselves, and the self work is to prove you want to do this, and to show your quality of work.

Theory being that you will do your best work if your the one who has to wear it for the rest of your life. (not always true, but still)

I was getting a tattoo in a shop and they had an intern there doing a quite intricate piece on his own calf. It was the 3rd one he did on himself, to show his work and commitment.

He actually did really well for being bent over, and all the weird angles he had to deal with.

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Offlineeritas
ilovedrugs
Male

Loc: brooklyn NYC
Re: People with tattoos [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #11271601 - 10/18/09 02:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

grapefruits work well for practice
and they smell good

i have done tattoos on my own and am the proud owner of 4 machines
i am also currently starting on the process of looking for apprenticeships
i hear they are quite difficult to come by nowadays though

--------------------
heres to our lives being meaningless
and how beautiful it is
because freedom doesnt have a purpose

check out my art :smile:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14505741&page=0&vc=1#14505741
and my goggles and jewelry
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15209555

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: People with tattoos [Re: eritas]
    #11271621 - 10/18/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

eritas said:
and they smell good

yesh... grapefruits and big ole' oranges work really well for practice, just before your comfortable jabbing yourself first.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
Re: People with tattoos [Re: eritas]
    #11271668 - 10/18/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: People with tattoos [Re: shadyy]
    #11271683 - 10/18/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

eritas said:
and they smell good

Quote:

shadyy said:

oh snap.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
Re: People with tattoos [Re: shadyy]
    #11271703 - 10/18/09 02:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah like OP have said you need to get allot of practice done..first!! Also most shops require you own you're own equipment..if you have a local meat shop in town ask if they have any fresh Pig-skin this is really the best medium to practice on as you can lay it flat unlike grapefruits..also fruit will accept the ink rather easily were as when doing real Tattoo's it is hard to keep the needles from jumping because skin is tough!! fresh pig bellies or skins will give you the practice you need to get good at black-lining and color!!:2cents:...e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

Invisiblelaska
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: California
    #11272175 - 10/18/09 04:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree that you should go in person to a couple shops and talk to them. Show them some of your artwork and ask to just volunteer or watch them do tattoos.

You can order tattoo guns and kits off the internet for a hundred or so dollars and if you have friends to practice on just jump in.
Tattooing is really just a process of practice makes perfect and although people do use fruits or pig skin and latex to practice on, human skin is still different. And theres no great substitute, just diving in is the only way you'll experience the real thing.

I know TONS of people with great good and shitty tattoos. If your upfront and honest about your skill or lack of experience there will still be lots of people who will understand that you might not be creating the work of art you have in your mind but it's what it is and people can appreciate that.

--------------------

Invisiblewhatdidusay
Travelin Raver
Male

Re: People with tattoos [Re: laska]
    #11272484 - 10/18/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

just start ur own tattoo business man. fuck apprenticeships. i know 2 ppl, one my cousin, who both started out doing the simplest of tattoos, im talking like scar tattoos with ink. i have 2 of them. theyre the whole raised skin tattoos. eventually both of these ppl i know started taking what they learned from raised skin/scar tattoos and using it to help them do basic tattoos. like crosses. skulls. hearts stars. etc. and they just slowly got better and better. and ppl trusted them. from basic to intricate.

anybody can make an intricate design. but how does that say that i can trust u to make the same intricate design look like its supposed to on my skin?

i have a real tattoo on my wrist as well i might add. just my 2 cents.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: People with tattoos [Re: whatdidusay]
    #11272569 - 10/18/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's not very good advice. Tattoos are permanent. Apprenticeships are a good thing.
Your cousin is what they call a scratcher. I mean that's a whole subculture in itself but prison tats are a whole different game. And not respected in the professional tattoo world.
Just because someone is good at art, does not mean they will just automatically be a good tattoo artist. There are many different skills involved and things someone just starting out would have no concept of. Things like how well ink takes to different skin types. How to go deep enough.. go too light and the ink doesnt stick... go too deep and you cause scarring. Not to mention the way you hold a tattoo gun is completely different than how you would hold a pen or something. There's a hundred and fifty little things like that, so yeah... saying "fuck apprenticeship" and just starting your own tattoo business is a terrible idea. You can learn the basics by watching someone else, and learning from someone much more experienced... OR you could learn the hard way by making a whole bunch of really shitty tattoos. Most people have to learn for a WHILE before they can even touch a needle to anyones skin.... and even then, they usually start on themselves.

Not all shops require that you pay a bunch of money to apprentice, but all of them want you be 110% serious and committed to it, and to prove it over time.

--------------------

Invisiblewhatdidusay
Travelin Raver
Male

Re: People with tattoos [Re: Shroomism]
    #11272658 - 10/18/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
That's not very good advice. Tattoos are permanent. Apprenticeships are a good thing.
Your cousin is what they call a scratcher. I mean that's a whole subculture in itself but prison tats are a whole different game. And not respected in the professional tattoo world.
Just because someone is good at art, does not mean they will just automatically be a good tattoo artist. There are many different skills involved and things someone just starting out would have no concept of. Things like how well ink takes to different skin types. How to go deep enough.. go too light and the ink doesnt stick... go too deep and you cause scarring. Not to mention the way you hold a tattoo gun is completely different than how you would hold a pen or something. There's a hundred and fifty little things like that, so yeah... saying "fuck apprenticeship" and just starting your own tattoo business is a terrible idea. You can learn the basics by watching someone else, and learning from someone much more experienced... OR you could learn the hard way by making a whole bunch of really shitty tattoos. Most people have to learn for a WHILE before they can even touch a needle to anyones skin.... and even then, they usually start on themselves.

Not all shops require that you pay a bunch of money to apprentice, but all of them want you be 110% serious and committed to it, and to prove it over time.

....... u basically just type dout everything i bothered not to say bc i thought it was pretty obvious. :thumbdown:

apprenticce ships r good...but learning sumthing on ur own is even better. self mistakes teach u more then u could ever hope to learn from apprentice ships.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale