Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
shovel performing axe duties
    #11270173 - 10/18/09 09:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

from what i've read, this thing seems like a real-life version of the Lobo from World-War Z.  wondering your thoughts on it in leau of an actual hatchet whilst in the bush.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Special-Forces-Shovel/dp/B0017UVEW0/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

• ~20" overall length
  • only 26.6oz (1.66lbs)
  • carbon steel
  • 5 year warranty

do you think it'd be worth the added weight?  convenient?  thoughts on the maker?

i really just want to get one and use it to fight a zombie, but it seems like it'd be pretty practical up until that point.  and you can throw it like a tomahawk!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungusfeller
TIMMY
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Park
Re: shovel performing axe duties [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #11270395 - 10/18/09 09:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i can't seem to open the link:mad2:

Zombies, don't even get me started.  I to am anti zombie:thumbup:  i have found a good share of noobie zombie fighters are unaware of the fact they can be infected by zombie bodily fluids, this is why its better to shoot them in the head (head shot) at a safe distance, opposed to hand to hand,or any kind of hacking at them and such, but you my find you have no choice at times, in this case it is better to use a poking type motion to avoid platter, with a stick or rifle poke them in the eye socket to destroy the brain tissue. i also do not recommend shooting them at too close of range either.
so be careful all you noobs:goodluck:

--------------------

TIMMY PUKESPLASH

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: shovel performing axe duties [Re: fungusfeller]
    #11270432 - 10/18/09 10:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hrm.. not sure why that link wouldn't work for you.  but try it like that instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Special-Forces-Shovel/dp/B0017UVEW0

while fluids may carry the infection, melee weapons don't run out of bullets.  nor do they create a HUGE sonic alert for every zombie within like a 2 mile radius.

a weapon such as this, if one's aim is deft, can be used to sever the spinal cord/neck with one good thrust or swing.  while in theory, jabbing a zomb in the eye with a stick and swirling it around sounds good and well, i imagine it would prove much rather ineffective in practice.  for one, the stick needs to be sturdy enough to not break.  two, an eye is a rather small target, and the longer the stick, the harder it will be to stab on target.  i imagine such a method would prove especially inefficient upon encountering multiple zombs in a constricted area.

--------------------

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#11270911 - 10/18/09 11:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

it is the lobo! Cold steel makes quality products for the money.

This thread could not have gone any better. At any rate, everyone worth there zombie salt would have a chem/something suit,so the Lobo is always going to be something worth the weight. Bullets and guns can only last so long.

--------------------

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: shovel performing axe duties [Re: CaptainH13]
    #11270930 - 10/18/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:

but zombie apocalypse aside, do you think such a tool would be worth the weight when backpacking?  i'm really curious about the build quality in regards to whether it can actually hold up to consistent hacking use as a hatchet.

--------------------

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#11270961 - 10/18/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the reviews seem great. I haven't had one,but if it's a real Mil. copy with quality materials you cant beat that. I've had a number of Cold steel knives and other bladed things, all very nice quality for the usually low price. Certainly worth a shot.

and if it breaks get a folding old or current entrenching Military shovel. I've had a number of those,from original,to repops, they all work amazingly. Thick enough to be sharpened,and some even have a serrated edge to one side.

Can't beat WWII German quality either. and it's cheaper!
http://armysurplus1.net/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=196

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: shovel performing axe duties [Re: CaptainH13]
    #11273300 - 10/18/09 07:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I like cold steel products, but I have serious doubts about a shovel being able to perform nearly as well as an axe.
Although it looks pretty handy and I love tools that have multiple functions.
But somehow I doubt it could split/shave/chop wood nearly as well as my small forest axe. It's a balance issue, and the shape of the blade.
But in a pinch fucking sure. A shovelaxe is certainly a handy thing to have, better than no shovelaxe. I just carry an axe and a portable saw though I haven't really found a need for a shovel unless its for digging a shitter for multiple people, and then a real shovel is usually there, from someone with a car.

/insert plug of best axes ever made - http://www.gransfors.com/
(they have throwing axes too)

--------------------

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: shovel performing axe duties [Re: Shroomism]
    #11354194 - 10/30/09 07:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I could never think of any reason I would ever need one of these in the woods, not for my purposes anyways.
I could see one being handy maybe for a weekend camping trip, but otherwise this thing would just be added weight that would see little to no use.
The idea of multi-tasking tools for "survival" "bushcraft" or camping sounds nice, but in reality it normally isn't; like sawback machetes and knives for example.
Shroomism is right, if you have a gransfors bruks or a wetterlings, you would never consider replacing it with anything else :wink:

Yikes this thread is old

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: shovel performing axe duties [Re: satyr]
    #11356153 - 10/31/09 07:24 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

meh, it's not that old, and i appreciate the input.

i'll still probably get one when i get back to the states and just leave it in the trunk of my car for emergency uses (i.e. getting out of ditches, killing zombies, and what have you; the usual).  it will probably replace the battle axe that's been in my trunk for the past 5 years.

--------------------

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #11356241 - 10/31/09 07:59 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Definitely can't hurt as a trunker. I wouldn't mind just throwing one in my backseat; looks innocent enough to carry everyday, yet would make an excellent defense weapon if it needed to be.  Would draw less attention than the khukri I carry in mine :lol:

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order