Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

The agricus genus..
    #11199111 - 10/07/09 08:28 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Are there any fataly poisonous mushrooms in the Agricua genus?
Are there any that can cause bad pain and sickness?

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11199203 - 10/07/09 08:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Say it after me: A-ga-ri-cus. :wink:

1) No
2) Yes. Gastrointestinal syndrome will occur when you eat certain Agaricus species, most notably Agaricus xanthoderma (but also A. placomyces). It has an unpleasant chemical carbolic ink smell.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinecyanophilus
ectosporium

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Trusted Identifier
    #11199373 - 10/07/09 09:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah xanthodermus, placomyces, californicus etc will make u puke.
nasty nasty nasty nasty mushrooms

overall the Agaricus genus is fairly safe though

the rule is with the smell, if it smells sweet and good its probably an edible agaricus, the only exception ive noticed is sometimes the yellow-staining ones (the ones with the toxins), can either smell strongly of chemicals or like a regular store-bought mushroom, so use this step with the utmost carefulness. you should post them here if u can with a good description of the smell, people would probably be able to ID out the nasty ones.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: cyanophilus]
    #11199403 - 10/07/09 09:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i smelled ones in my yard that were like nut-like/cat piss...is that some sort of chemical smell i'm not recognizing?
I don't have cats
I posted it here, http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11180738

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 

Edited by RonPaulVerm (10/07/09 09:34 AM)

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
    #11199405 - 10/07/09 09:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Cat piss smells like ammonia. I'd call that a chemical smell I guess.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #11199453 - 10/07/09 09:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i smelled them again now that they're half dried out they smell more of nuts, like almonds
agaricus bitorquis...almost positive now

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
    #11200313 - 10/07/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe a cat was marking it's territory and planned on eating it later....:wink:

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW, Canada
Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11200504 - 10/07/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've noticed that a lot of agarics will smell fishy/pissy when rained on. Even the ones from the grocery store can be a bit stinky if you whiff them up close. Maybe it's because of the stuff they break down to metabolize? It might create a smell...

As per your other post I think it's A. bitorquis

very tasty. I had some the other day, actually- sauteed with chanterelles and butter. mmm.

--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: cameal]
    #11200607 - 10/07/09 01:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

now they're getting to be mature and a tad dry andn I know with some plants and fungi it's usually recommended to eat the young specimens
Have you experienced the mature agaricus bitorquis? anyone recommend it?
and thanks so much for all your responses guys :thumbup:

Edited by RonPaulVerm (10/07/09 01:16 PM)

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

#11200820 - 10/07/09 01:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Agaricus Arvensis gives me stinky farts.

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #11263838 - 10/17/09 02:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's definitely best to eat buttons- they are the most pleasing. That being said, I have eaten mature a. augustus and a. bitorquis and they were great, though softer and deflated quite a lot after cooking. The main problems with mature mushrooms, in my mind, are that they lose texture and often become riddled with larvae or bugs... which can be rather off-putting.

I'll see if I can fish up some of my mature a. augustus meal photos for you if you're interested.

--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11264962 - 10/17/09 11:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

it seems harder to identify buttons? do you take a different approach in doing so?

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

Offlinethelaughingman
Bulbous Poopaloid
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central WA
    #11265080 - 10/17/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The yellow staining varieties stain especially strong on the margin on the buttons, so thats one way. Also if you know the patch is an edible agaricus, its unlikely that its growing intermixed with another species.

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Re: The agricus genus.. [Re: thelaughingman]
    #11268110 - 10/17/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thelaughingman said:
The yellow staining varieties stain especially strong on the margin on the buttons, so thats one way. Also if you know the patch is an edible agaricus, its unlikely that its growing intermixed with another species.

Yup- and smell is a big indicator for me, too. If it smells phenolic- somewhat like chemical/sickly sweet then likely it's not an edible Agaricus. Any Agaricus that smells like almonds is good. Pissy smell doesn't indicate much except moisture, in my mind. Also always mind the gills- they'll always be brown upon maturity.

It's good to be familiar with your spots for the buttons. They will grow back in the same area. Sometimes there will be a mixture of mature and button mushrooms. Pick one mature and the rest buttons so you can take the print if you are uncertain. It's best to leave a few mature caps around to proliferate spores.

--------------------

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

#11268467 - 10/17/09 10:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cameal said:
I'll see if I can fish up some of my mature a. augustus meal photos for you if you're interested.

Here is a photo of A. Augustus when mature, then that same mushroom sauteed and served with tomatoes from the garden and toast.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #11269228 - 10/18/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cameal said:
Quote:

cameal said:

Here is a photo of A. Augustus when mature, then that same mushroom sauteed and served with tomatoes from the garden and toast.

cameal don´t do that :crazy2: iam hungry

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale