Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Gypsum, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemushluv
Stranger
ph
    #11269157 - 10/18/09 02:42 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

i havent found much about controlling ph in a casing, i see hydrated lime or oyster shell seems to be the way to go, but costly around here, is there any good sub for this? i know egg shells are composed of calcium carbonate just like lime and oyster shell, if i powder it up do u think it could work? how bout baking soda? any chemistry majors in the house? maybe we can take a vote..
what is the popular opinion?
who perfers what?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemushluv
Stranger
Re: ph [Re: mushluv]
    #11269202 - 10/18/09 02:51 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

i was told bicarb.. maybe like baking soda.. would that work?

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #11269210 - 10/18/09 02:54 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Ive never used a ph buffer in casing I don't think its really needed not IME anyways.  You can add gypsum for a buffer.  Take some drywall and break it down and there you go

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Offlinemushluv
Stranger
Re: ph [Re: truskool]
    #11269217 - 10/18/09 02:55 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

gypsum...so u just do verm/peat and bam? no losses?

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

#11269223 - 10/18/09 02:57 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

yea i use 2:1:1 pet:ver:perlite
Of course I lose things thats just a part of growing shrooms, but nothing too bad.  Gypsum works great tho its pretty much free and easy to use.  Most things are in the shroom PH levels.  Coir, verm, perlite all these are in the PH levels that shrooms like

--------------------

Offlinemushluv
Stranger
    #11269321 - 10/18/09 03:23 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

kool ty

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
    #11269327 - 10/18/09 03:26 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
Ive never used a ph buffer in casing I don't think its really needed not IME anyways.  You can add gypsum for a buffer.  Take some drywall and break it down and there you go

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IME a lot of new/nicer drywall has a fungicide mixed in with the gypsum/bonding agent. I noticed this a while back while I was redoing a wall in the garage :mushroom2:

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Re: ph [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #11269332 - 10/18/09 03:28 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

some does it is coloured differently.  i think the fungicide drywall has green striping on it.  Don't quote me on that but there is a way you can tell.  If its cheap drywall it wont have fungicides in it.  I don't think a lot of drywall has it in it

--------------------

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
    #11269352 - 10/18/09 03:32 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
some does it is coloured differently.  i think the fungicide drywall has green striping on it.  Don't quote me on that but there is a way you can tell.  If its cheap drywall it wont have fungicides in it.  I don't think a lot of drywall has it in it

You're probably right. I stole the drywall from an apartment complex that was under construction, so I guess they might have been taking some extra measures for building longevity.

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Re: ph [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #11269357 - 10/18/09 03:33 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Yea it doesnt seem to be that common.

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
W-W-Wyzzerdd

Loc: PNW
    #11269411 - 10/18/09 03:52 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

The post i quoted below is relevant to this.
Folks in the forums here misuse the word buffer. 
Remember that crushed oyster shell is only used for texture in the casing layer or even bulk sub.  It's oyster shell flour that we use to raise the pH

Quote:

Psuper said:

Oyster shell is calcium carbonate, hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide.  We use hydrated lime or oyster shell flour to raise the pH.  Gypsum helps hold the pH steady, but this is NOT what a pH buffer is.  I know people constantly refer to gypsum as a "buffer", but that's not what that word denotes in chemistry.  Crushed oyster shell is only used for texture, it is oyster shell flour that raises the pH.

You are supposed to wait at least an hour after making up your casing layer mix before testing the pH.  Also, if you follow RR's tek for prepping the 50/50+ you add the vermiculite after testing/adjusting the pH. Hope this helps. ~Pixie~

--------------------
P. Cubensis Bulk Substrate:
Coco-Coir (and/or local Horse Manure), Vermiculite, Gypsum (calcium sulfate), Composted Chicken Manure (3%-5%).

Visit the Growery.Org, Here's a thread by myself about water-hash bags and hashish filtration:
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/489978

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ph [Re: Psuper]
    #11270015 - 10/18/09 10:10 AM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Correct.  Gypsum is not a pH buffer.  Gypsum is used to supply calcium and sulfur. 

Oyster shells, egg shells, calcium carbonate, etc., are all piss-poor buffers for casings because they take a month or more to become effective, even when powdered.  That's why you want to use hydrated lime.  It's water soluble and raises pH immediately.

NEVER USE BAKING SODA IN YOUR CASING LAYERS!  It's not an appropriate way to raise pH, and is highly toxic to mycelium.

Substrates don't need a pH correction.  Mushroom mycelium actually prefers an acidic pH and grows fastest when the pH is between 5 and 6.  However, since casing layers usually don't fully colonize, we buffer them to a pH of about 8 to help prevent mold spores from germinating.  The live mushroom mycelium can tolerate a high pH, but it's hard for spores to germinate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineevildee125
:inception:
Male User Gallery

Loc: fl
Re: ph [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11278203 - 10/19/09 05:41 PM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Correct.  Gypsum is not a pH buffer.  Gypsum is used to supply calcium and sulfur. 

Oyster shells, egg shells, calcium carbonate, etc., are all piss-poor buffers for casings because they take a month or more to become effective, even when powdered.  That's why you want to use hydrated lime.  It's water soluble and raises pH immediately.

NEVER USE BAKING SODA IN YOUR CASING LAYERS!  It's not an appropriate way to raise pH, and is highly toxic to mycelium.

Substrates don't need a pH correction.  Mushroom mycelium actually prefers an acidic pH and grows fastest when the pH is between 5 and 6.  However, since casing layers usually don't fully colonize, we buffer them to a pH of about 8 to help prevent mold spores from germinating.  The live mushroom mycelium can tolerate a high pH, but it's hard for spores to germinate.
RR

im glad you and psuper corrected this.. lately people have been recommending gypsum in casing layer which doesnt make sense considering what a buffer is suppose to achieve is what you mentioned (raising pH so spores are less likely to germinate)... um i dont know if this helps anyone outhere but jiffy mix comes prepared in a formula thats within 60/40-50/50 range and its buffered.. ive also used ferry morse seed starter at a rate of about 2 cups seed starter to 1 - 1 1/2 cups vermiculite which worked well also..

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banlist.php http://www.shroomery.org/forums/banomatic.php

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/vetstatus.php

Kaleidoscope said:
If you build an idiot-proof device, someone will build a better idiot.

Edited by evildee125 (10/19/09 05:42 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Gypsum, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation