Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW, Canada
Today's Haul in Vancouver- IDs?
    #11268570 - 10/18/09 12:40 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I'm not really looking for specific IDs, just wanting to share. If you know or want to correct my self-taught identifications, I encourage your feedback.

I have not been searching for actives, though I intend to look into it for next week... I'll keep my BCers posted.

#1 Lovely Amanita Muscaria

#2 Slippery Jack aka Suillus

#3 Macrolepiota; Shaggy Parasol

#4 Coprinus? (inky cap?) VERY plentiful...

#5 Hypholoma Fasciculare aka Sulfur Tuft

#6 Agaricus Augustus WAAAAAYYY past its prime (THE PRINCE; my favourite. I nearly cried when I found almost 5 moldy princes. What a waste!)

#7 ??? Not sure- possibly funky-looking mycena? They seemed to sort of glow- it was getting dark.

--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefig
spore collector
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: usa east TN blue ridge mt...
Re: Today's Haul in Vancouver- IDs? [Re: cameal]
    #11268670 - 10/18/09 01:02 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

nice finds man keep up the good work.

Offlinesvarog
psychonaut

Loc: PNW
    #11268838 - 10/18/09 01:30 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I'd say you're right about the last ones being mycenas; it's cool how some mycenas are bioluminescent.  I've been having similar finds in Vancouver as well, only the muscaria in the area I hunt are all yellow and yellow-orange.  I'll be looking for actives next week too; good luck, and don't let me catch you raiding my patches...

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: Today's Haul in Vancouver- IDs? [Re: svarog]
    #11268864 - 10/18/09 01:36 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Hard to tell from the pic, but do you think #4 and #7 could be the same?    Coprine mushrooms past their prime get very hard to tell :smile:  Looks like Coprinellus micaceous to me anyhow :shrug:

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Haul in Vancouver- IDs? [Re: ShockValue]
    #11268945 - 10/18/09 01:50 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

YE
Quote:

ShockValue said:
Hard to tell from the pic, but do you think #4 and #7 could be the same?    Coprine mushrooms past their prime get very hard to tell :smile:  Looks like Coprinellus micaceous to me anyhow :shrug:

YES definitely.

The #7s are much drier- they were covered by dense, dense canopy whereas #4 were in an open field. That could explain why I initially thought they were different mushrooms. Plus the dark gills on #7 indicate inky caps, not mycena.

--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
    #11268966 - 10/18/09 01:55 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

What habitat did you find your parasol?

Typically if it's open in grassy area, it's C.rachodes.  If under canopy in wet area (like near Alders) it's going to be C.olivieri.   

I don't know if it's true in all of the species, but I find that Olivieri stains blood red, fading to brown, where Rachodes will turn a dark orange, fading to brown.  I'd be curious if you found the same.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Haul in Vancouver- IDs? [Re: ShockValue]
    #11269447 - 10/18/09 04:03 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

ShockValue said:
What habitat did you find your parasol?

Typically if it's open in grassy area, it's C.rachodes.  If under canopy in wet area (like near Alders) it's going to be C.olivieri.   

I don't know if it's true in all of the species, but I find that Olivieri stains blood red, fading to brown, where Rachodes will turn a dark orange, fading to brown.  I'd be curious if you found the same.

Whew, this is going to be a long answer.

This one was under a canopy, but not that wet, really- a very dense canopy of cedar and maple in the PNW, so the ground was much drier than you might expect. It was growing out of leaf litter and needles. It bruises what I might call a rusty colour, but not a blood red... 

I have collected and eaten what I thought to be a North American version of M. Procera (ie. Chl. Brunneum) as well, coming from a similar habitat but certainly not staining the same way- only slight bruising occurred that was closer to brown or a brownish pink than anything else. Actually, if I do say so, it made an excellent meal fried in panko bread crumbs and dipped in tzatziki. It is possible, however, that I was eating Chl. Rhacodes and happened to not be allergic to it, as some are known to be.

I find this group: Lepiota, Macrolepiota, and Chlorophyllum difficult to identify without proper first-hand experience.

I used to understand that chlorphyllum sp. have a green spore print which separated them from the macrolepiota but now it's all changed. All I know is that the edibles don't have green prints so beyond that I just hope that after my delicious meal I won't have GI allergic reactions. Could it be Chl. Rhacodes, Brunneum, or Olivieri? Honestly- I don't know.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification