Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

My new Erythroxylum Novogranatense
    #11266105 - 10/17/09 04:42 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Hey guys... I just purchased several E. Novos from a member on here (I'm sure you all know who!) :smile: and I had a couple of questions.... I know that E Novo likes acidic soil, but it seems that there are several trains of thought on this.... Some say to use African Violet soil with added perlite for drainage, some seem to say it's not necessary. I was thinking about using Fox Farm soil, which is technically a marijuana soil so I figured since MJ likes the lower pH's too, that it would work out quite nicely. Both of them like the pH around 5.8 - 6.3 or so..... Although I believe that E Novo likes it even more acidic? Around As low as 5.0-5.5 I'm hearing? Any thoughts are appreciated... Thanks

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: My new Erythroxylum Novogranatense [Re: theMallacht]
    #11266135 - 10/17/09 04:50 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

What about coffee grounds? If I added some coffee grounds that would make it even more acidic and they make GREAT fertilizer as long as not overused....

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #11268037 - 10/17/09 11:01 PM (8 years, 23 hours ago)

Coffee grounds will lower the PH over time. If you are worried and want to lower the PH of the soil you already have you can throw in a small handful of Sulfur and mix well. This wont work straight away as the sulfur needs to be converted by soil bacteria. To change the PH right away use Aluminum sulfate.

--------------------

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: My new Erythroxylum Novogranatense [Re: karode13]
    #11268390 - 10/18/09 12:04 AM (8 years, 22 hours ago)

Thanks man, I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get a respond at all. Do you think a soil intended for marijuana would already be acidic enough for E Novo?

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11268665 - 10/18/09 01:01 AM (8 years, 21 hours ago)

I haven't ever grown Erythroxylum, so I am unaware of its PH requirements. I'm sure the soil you are intending to use will be suitable. What do Erythroxylum prefer in the way of PH? And do you have a PH meter?

--------------------

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#11268861 - 10/18/09 01:35 AM (8 years, 20 hours ago)

I have been hearing (mostly on this forum as there isn't much info) that E novo likes a pH of around ~5-6 or so.... So I figured that since Cannabis seems to like that same pH, that I should be fine with soil intended for Cannabis..... Yes, I do have a pH meter... A really nice one, actually, I love it. I have the Hanna Instruments Cal-Check feature one...

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11269081 - 10/18/09 02:26 AM (8 years, 20 hours ago)

OK, what was the PH of the soil the plant came in? It would be best to stick to those conditions in case you shock the plant too much and it dies.

You wouldn't want to go any lower than 5.3, that's when you run a big risk of nutrient lock-out.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #11271929 - 10/18/09 05:19 PM (8 years, 5 hours ago)

There is another thread on the subject. I would just use potting soil with added perlite. Putting a lot of junk in to lower the ph can be risky. You could use a little peat moss, it's low ph but is water retentive so add some extra perlite.  I just saw this thread.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#11272456 - 10/18/09 07:05 PM (8 years, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
OK, what was the PH of the soil the plant came in? It would be best to stick to those conditions in case you shock the plant too much and it dies.

You wouldn't want to go any lower than 5.3, that's when you run a big risk of nutrient lock-out.

Good idea... I've never used my pH meter to check SOIL pH, before.... Only H20... I've heard the proper way of doing this is to mix about 50/50 Soil/Water and then using the pH meter as usual by dipping it into the mix of basically watery-mud... Is this correct?

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11272494 - 10/18/09 07:13 PM (8 years, 3 hours ago)

Yeah, you want damp soil.

--------------------

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #11276143 - 10/19/09 11:04 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It will grow well in Pro-Mix (a peat-based potting soil with perilite and vermiculite) which tends toward more acidic.  I've been using the recommended amount of Fertilome's "Liquid Iron" which adds micronutrients that help things that like acidic soils.  And of course MiracleGro or similar for macronutrients. 

I've been letting the soil completely dry before each watering to stimulate a good root system.  They seem pretty tolerant of dry conditions. 

So far they haven't proved difficult.  You might be overthinking it.

Not that I know anything about this plant, nor have I been growing any.  :paranoid:

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: My new Erythroxylum Novogranatense [Re: Horticulture]
    #11276790 - 10/19/09 01:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hort, you have the right idea. I would not use any vermiculite in the mix because it's very water retentive and does not lower the ph like peat does. No need to stress over it. I've grown them in plain potting soil and had no problems. Adding some peat for lowering ph and perlite to help the drainage are nice touches. Let the soil dry before watering like you said. I would not do that until they drop the seedcoat. I keep the soil damp until then with a layer of plastic wrap over them or you could use a humidity dome. After they shed the coat then treat them like any plant but watch them while they are small because they can wilt fast. No direct sun but bright light or sun through a window pane should be fine.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden