Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrequenze
Disbeliever

Loc: Inner Ring/Seventh Circle
Isolate 5-gal jugs from floor
    #11265703 - 10/17/09 03:18 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I'm using a couple of 5 gallon jugs for my incubation chamer. You know, where I put water in the bottom on with an aquarium heater and float the other one. Temps have been erratic. I've got an electric thermo that records max and min temps. A few days ago, when I got home I noticed the fuckin thing had freaked out and nuked my jars (got up to 104). Since, I have concluded that the reason for this is that the bottom jug was sitting directly on the floor. Now I have it sitting on a box and the temps are quite consistent, min and max varying only about 2 degrees. This is the heater I'm using. Just wanted to warn anyone using this method to heat inc or grow chambers to isolate the bottom tub from the floor. Of course, if anyone else has any input on why my jars got nuked, I'm all ears.

At the time 104 was reached, there were only 2 jars of 12 showing myc. Since, those two have continued, slowly, but the others continue to show nothing, gonna scrap-em soon. Did this temp spike occur at a crucial time? I understand it's well out of myc's livable range right?

Usually I don't heat the inc chamber, but it's been gettin colder and I don't usually use my places heater.

--------------------
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
~Twain
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
~Nietzsche
"Be true to your own act; and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age."
~Emerson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: Isolate 5-gal jugs from floor [Re: Frequenze]
    #11265719 - 10/17/09 03:22 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

what's the temp in your house. just stick them on a shelf somewhere. the'll be fine.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
    #11265726 - 10/17/09 03:23 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

104 is NOT out of the MYC range..

myc does not start to die till 106 and can withstand short bursts of even higher temps..

dont scrap em..

lit it be for a while

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11265777 - 10/17/09 03:33 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

I had that same heater in 50 watts when I tried to make a "heatbomb".

I threw it out after a week of shit results. the heater light would rarely be on, even when I set the temp dial to max.

it made me wonder if there is some type of pressure trigger telling the unit it is submerged

I put it in an Arizona Ice Tea gallon jug.  filled it with water added a splash of bleech, and sealed the top with the lid & silicone

it was great, it didnt leak a drop, even if I sat it upside down

the problem was the fully submersable heater was fully submerged and it would not radiate any heat at all.

I am not 100% convinced that only the heater was at fault or the concept. 

I am still debating whether or not I want to buy a better & more powerful aquarium heater to try A TiT. just afraid of wasting more money.

OfflineFrequenze
Disbeliever

Loc: Inner Ring/Seventh Circle
Re: Isolate 5-gal jugs from floor [Re: Slimz]
    #11265809 - 10/17/09 03:42 PM (8 years, 8 days ago)

Good to know about the death range of myc, gonna keepem thanks to your advice Slimz. Artizen, you're right the ambient temp here is fine for inc, but in a few more weeks it probably will not so I wanted to get prepped for the heating. I work long hours and don't keep the heater on. The chamber has been keeping 80-82 consistently for a few days with the aquarium heater. Gonna stick with the heater unless it freaks out on me again.
Cyber, any more powerful heater is serious overkill unless you're gonna heat a big tub, sounds like the problem is the functionality not the watts. Maybe you're right about the pressure, I know it's supposed to have a good safety shutoff, maybe that is kicking in.

Thanks for the info

--------------------
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
~Twain
"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
~Nietzsche
"Be true to your own act; and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age."
~Emerson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation