Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Africans using rape as weapon of war
    #11265156 - 10/17/09 01:36 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Looks like rape wasn't even a criminal offense in the Congo until 2006.
We've all heard the statistics here in America- that black men commit rape at ten times the frequency that white men do, than black men raping a white woman happens 30 times more often than a white man raping a black woman.

Well... maybe this will help explain things.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/10/16/amanpour.congo.rape.documentary/index.html

Rape a weapon of war in Congo, activists say

* Story Highlights
    * Human Rights Watch: 200,000 women, girls raped in Eastern Congo since 1998
    * Condition of women more dire as the army fights armed groups in the country
    * More than 5 million die in Congo from disease, hunger resulting from fighting
    * Congo has taken some measures to try to curb the sexual violence

updated 1:30 a.m. EDT, Sat October 17, 2009

* Next Article in World »

* Read
    * VIDEO

By George Lerner
CNN

(CNN) -- Rape has turned into a weapon of war in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with the number of attacks on women having grown threefold over the past few years, human rights activists said Friday.

Anneke van Woudenberg, senior researcher with Human Rights Watch, told Christiane Amanpour that 200,000 women and girls have been raped in Eastern Congo since 1998, and the condition of women has become more dire as the Congolese army has pressed a military campaign against armed groups in the countryside.

"Rape is being used as a weapon of war in eastern Congo. So we notice and we have documented that when armed groups walk into town, they will rape the women and girls, sometimes publicly, sometimes privately, in order to punish the local population," she said. "It's the easiest way to terrorize a community."

Congo has witnessed one of the worst humanitarian crises since World War II, with a death toll estimated at more than 5 million. Most of the dead have come not from direct violence, but the consequences of the fighting: disease and starvation. While the war formally ended six years ago, fighting persists in eastern Congo, and women are paying a high price. Video CNN visits a devastated community »

"One of the other sad realities is that the majority of those who are raped are adolescent girls, 12-year-olds, 13-year-olds, 14-year-olds. Their lives are often ruined by this. And I think we've got to take more seriously -- protection of civilians is not just protecting them from death. It's protecting them from rape," van Woudenberg said. Listen to more from van Woudenberg Video

There have also been reports of members of the Congolese army, particularly high ranking officers, attacking women. In May, the United Nations handed over the names of five top military officers accused of rape. Two of the senior officers are being detained in the capital of Kinshasa and the three others must report to authorities under close observation. They are awaiting trial.

Still more must be done, aid groups say, starting with the establishment of a special court made up of Congolese and international judges and prosecutors to investigate rape allegations.

"I think they've got to start holding to account the generals and colonels who are either themselves responsible or who allow their troops to rape. And so far, those are the guys that have been untouchable," said van Woudenberg. "No general has yet been held to account in Congo for rape, and it's high time that that changes."

Congo has taken some measures to try to curb the sexual violence. In 2006, its parliament passed a law criminalizing rape, with penalties ranging from five to 20 years. Penalties are doubled under certain circumstances, including gang-rape and if the perpetrator is a public official.

Kabila's wife, Olive Lemba Kabila, has launched a public campaign speaking out against rapes of the nation's women and girls.

The army has also started a zero-tolerance campaign in which commanders have emphasized to troops that they must respect human rights and protect civilians from harm, according to the U.N.

The United Nations maintains in Congo its largest peacekeeping force anywhere in the world. But the forces have been ineffective at stopping rape.

Jean-Marie Guehenno, the former head of U.N. peacekeeping, told Amanpour that the international forces face a serious problem: Too few troops assigned to the vast inaccessible reaches of eastern Congo.

"In the Kivu provinces, there are 10 million people," Guehenno said. "If one applied the counterinsurgency ratios that the U.S. Army thinks of -- say, 20 per 1,000 -- that would mean 200,000 troops in Congo -- 200,000 accountable troops."

"The U.N. is in a tough spot, to be frank, because if it did not give any support to the Congolese army, probably the Congolese army might prey even more on the population," Guehenno said.

Part of the problem stems from the tactic applied by the Congolese government to quell previous armed rebellions against Kinshasa by incorporating insurgents into the ranks of the national army, leading to a military that paid scant attention to human rights, and the rights of women in particular.

"What needs to be done is to have a state in Congo that can control its territory and that has the confidence of the people," Guehenno said. "The violence in the Kivu, the violence in Ituri, it is the result of a vacuum, the fact that there is no administration, there is no credible state, there is no justice. And so that vacuum is being occupied by various militias.

"And, unfortunately, when the Congolese army integrates a militia without sorting between the killers and those who could be integrated, it just adds to the problem."
advertisement

Van Woudenberg called for international pressure to force the Congolese army to bring abusers to justice.

"My worst fear is that we're going to continue to see those individuals responsible for rape being promoted. My hope is that the women and girls of -- of eastern Congo in particular -- will continue to speak out. I think we've seen immense courage from those women and girls to say, 'No, we've had enough.'"

--------------------
My name is Mud

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Africans using rape as weapon of war [Re: DragonChaser]
    #11265199 - 10/17/09 01:47 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

--------------------

OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
Re: Africans using rape as weapon of war [Re: blewmeanie]
    #11265236 - 10/17/09 01:53 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Rape has been a part of war since wars have been fought. It's dominating, dehumanizing, painful, and what happens. It really sucks, and making it a war crime is a step in the right direction, but legislating war is a pretty bullshit concept.

--------------------

"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
    #11265282 - 10/17/09 02:01 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:

that's not really fair.  civilization is cyclical.  after the the fall of the Roman Empire, Europe dive-bombed into the middle age.  several hundred years spent living in mud shacks.

the ancient egyptians of africa had a flourishing civilization that peaked a thousand years or so before Rome.

and you have to consider resources.  the saharan plains haven't exactly got an abundance of resources.

--------------------

OfflineEnvix
swag yolo
 User Gallery

Re: Africans using rape as weapon of war [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #11265289 - 10/17/09 02:02 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I was raped by a white woman.

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#11265304 - 10/17/09 02:05 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Yeah, those crazy red haired Egyptians.:wink:

--------------------

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#11265441 - 10/17/09 02:34 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
that's not really fair.  civilization is cyclical.  after the the fall of the Roman Empire, Europe dive-bombed into the middle age.  several hundred years spent living in mud shacks.

the ancient egyptians of africa had a flourishing civilization that peaked a thousand years or so before Rome.

and you have to consider resources.  the saharan plains haven't exactly got an abundance of resources.

Egypt is a better example of Mediterranean culture, rather than African culture.  Egyptians may have been Africans, but they were pretty damn far away from Sub-Saharan Africans.
And the Saharan plains may not be abundant with resources, but Africa has everything from deserts to jungles, mountains to plains, and the only significant culture that evolved was Egypt.

Civilization IS cyclical- but when was the last "Up" cycle Africa had?
I don't think they had one.  I think they've always been in huts.

European civilization did take a tumble after the fall of the Roman empire, but I don't think its anything in comparison to the way Africa has been since the dawn of time.  Plus, they did rebound and several European powers became the dominating forces on the plant (and that was Europe DIVIDED).

--------------------
My name is Mud

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #11265488 - 10/17/09 02:41 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Yeah cuz the Russians or Japanese never raped every woman in sight during WW2.:rolleyes:

Not a thing unique to Africans.

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#11265494 - 10/17/09 02:42 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Personally I think there's a great deal of evidence to suggest that the entire Egyptian civilization was the product of Caucasians and only later conquered and defaced by africans.

Thats just my opinion though.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Re: Africans using rape as weapon of war [Re: buckwheat]
    #11265501 - 10/17/09 02:43 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

buckwheat said:
Yeah cuz the Russians or Japanese never raped every woman in sight during WW2.:rolleyes:

Not unique to, but disproportionately prevalent in.

--------------------

Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
    #11265503 - 10/17/09 02:43 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Yea man.. you just sound like a rascist who is just trying to make your rascist views seem to be based on logic and reason- but if you actually knew anything about Africa than you would know it has had civilizations on par to anywhere else in the world.
Ever heard of the Nubians? Great Zimbabwe? And ya, whether you will admit it or not Egyptians were Africans...

Try and do some reading before posting on a subject you are clueless about.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Great-African-Civilizations&id=425428
http://www.thenubian.net/index.php

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

Re: Africans using rape as weapon of war [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11265513 - 10/17/09 02:45 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Anyone who disagrees with you must be clueless, I'll keep that in mind.

--------------------

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

Re: Africans using rape as weapon of war [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11265530 - 10/17/09 02:47 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

The cultures that influenced Egyptians were from the Sahara area.

Dont quote me on that though. Benadryl is making me retarded.

Edited by TTT (10/17/09 02:49 PM)

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

#11265533 - 10/17/09 02:48 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

buckwheat said:

Not during war. You could argue some parts of Africa are in a constant war like state

Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11265535 - 10/17/09 02:48 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
And the Saharan plains may not be abundant with resources, but Africa has everything from deserts to jungles, mountains to plains, and the only significant culture that evolved was Egypt.

That statement shows complete cluelessness with regards to acient african history.

--------------------

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

#11265549 - 10/17/09 02:51 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:

Egypt is a better example of Mediterranean culture, rather than African culture.  Egyptians may have been Africans, but they were pretty damn far away from Sub-Saharan Africans.

European civilization did take a tumble after the fall of the Roman empire, but I don't think its anything in comparison to the way Africa has been since the dawn of time.  Plus, they did rebound and several European powers became the dominating forces on the plant (and that was Europe DIVIDED).

Whats wrong with living in huts? We're so civilized with our tvs and fancy houses but we're fucking up the planet more than more primitive cultures who managed to not negatively effect the Earth for thousands of years...

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
    #11265550 - 10/17/09 02:51 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:

sure, Africa has many different land types, but that picture specifically targeted resource-deficient saharan plains, where a simpler way of life just makes sense.

modern africa, full of strife though it may be, still has large cities with modern conveniences just like any other continent.  that photo was misleading and unfair in its representation.  no two ways about it.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie
 User Gallery

#11265568 - 10/17/09 02:54 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

buckwheat said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

buckwheat said:

Not during war. You could argue some parts of Africa are in a constant war like state

Check out the statistics of black people living in other countries. I know it's not a popular view, and it's completely taboo to even discuss, but the search for truth shouldn't be limited by a framework of what's socially acceptable.  :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

#11265583 - 10/17/09 02:56 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

buckwheat said:

I forgot to mention that it wansn't just because WW2 was so horrible. The Russians rape women in recent wars Chechnya and even the Georgian conflict last year.

Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11265598 - 10/17/09 02:58 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I agree. But I think the issue is deeper than just 'black people are primitive'.
Although I think part is cultural ingraining, I think the issue is more complicated than that.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub